Magical/Grand Gatherings - should we lie about age?

05ChristmasSurprise

DIS Veteran
We are planning a trip down next year. The minimum age for the Magical Gatherings special things is 3 - to be counted. :(

Our youngest will only be 2. Should we flub on it to do some of the special things or not?

(and no, she won't be close to three at all - she'll be VERY far from three)

but please never, ever lie -especially about things involving your children. It is just not worth it and it sends the wrong message to children. I am not certain ofthe activities you are referring to, but why not call a CM (or appropriate planner) and explain your situation. I think you will find Disney to be accomodating. If you just can't do some of the things you want to do, at least you will have a clear conscience about having been completely "above board". There is no vacation, no perk, not anything that is worth being less than honest about.

Have a great vacation!

Never lie. And if you do you are gonna have to pay for her to go because at WDW 3 yr old pay. NEVER lie in disney!!! Just my 2 cents

While I typically agree with you, I also think this is a little different. I think the way it works is that children 3 and over have to pay for admission. So, we would be lying about her age to PAY for admission, not to get in free ;) LOL

Basically, the magical gatherings require that the 8 people in the group be PAYING visitors. So, the child "under 3" would not be eligible unless we paid for her admission. We'd like to do some of the group events, but can't - even though we'll have 8 people - just because the youngest is going to be under three.

I hope that makes more sense :)

I would look at why disney does not seem it to be ok for kids under 3. Once you say your kid is 3 then you have to buy them a pass & pay at all buffets.

Kae

I may be in a minority by the time this tread runs its course... but I wouldn't do it. If you do decide to try it, at least tell CMs that the child is only two. Who knows, grace may abound and you just might be better off than if you had tried to circumvent the policy.

I don't know about at WDW, but often for a party where there is a minimum # of guests, they make you pay the minimum $$ amount regardless of the actual number of people. Like if the minimum was 10 people you'd pay for 10 even if you only had 6. If this is the reason that Disney has a minimum #, you may just end up paying for one additional (non-existant) person anyway and it won't be a big deal.

If they won't let you book it without 8 actual people/names, I'm not sure how to handle that. You could always ask and see what they say!

BTW, this policy makes perfect sense to me. Under 3 is an invisible category at Disney. And most of us like it that way! :)

Hope you can work out something!

As a matter of fact, I already did. We have 9 in our group, but two of the kids are under 3. I had no qualms whatsoever about telling them that our 2 year old is 3 so that we could take advantage of the Safari experience.

While of course lying generally is not a good thing, I think in this case you easily can let your conscience rest easy by considering:

1. As already pointed out, you are actually volunteering to pay more by lying.

2. There is no age restriction on the events, thus under 3 year olds are welcome in any event, so it's not like you are sneaking someone in who shouldn't be there.

3. Your kids will have absolutely no idea - no worries about bad examples, etc.

4. If you try to explain your situation, you may end up with a bureaucratic CM that interprets the terms literally, and then you are out of luck.

In short, if you have 8 people, and are willing to pay for 8 people, this has to literally be the most harmless lie imagineable.

I called about this because my 2 1/2 year old would have been our 8th person. They would not let me do it. I was also willing to pay for him so that we could do the Safari. Disney's loss.

Lori

the problem i see w/lying about your child's age now is that once they turn nine, you'll be charged for a 10yo - adult price!
disney keeps records of these kind of things!
:smooth:

Is it that you have to have at least 8 people in your group and they all have to be at least 3 years old....

Or is it that you have to have at least 8 people in your group and at least 8 of them have to be at least 3 years old...

If you have a group of 9 people and one of the children is 2 while everyone else in the group is over 3, does this meet the requirement for a magical gathering?

You have to have at least 8 people in your group that are 3 or older (and that are staying at a Disney Resort). After you meet this minimum, guests under 3 are welcome, and free. I interpret this to mean at least 8 paying guests, thus my rationale for "rounding up" on my 2-year old's age.;)

In any event, the answer to your last question is "yes."

I think since you're paying extra, not trying to cheat them of money, it wouldn't be a bad thing. It's not like they would ask her how old she is or anything like that since you'd be paying for her. And not only are you paying for a child who is technically free, if you didn't do it they'd lose lots more money since you wouldn't be going at all. And when the now 2 year old is 9, you won't have to pay an adult price for her. If Disney tried to charge you the adult rate, just show proof of her age and they couldn't. Also, if they said she's an age she's not, all you'd have to do is correct them, as I highly doubt they'd fight you on your own child's age.

Originally posted by 05ChristmasSurprise
While I typically agree with you, I also think this is a little different. I think the way it works is that children 3 and over have to pay for admission. So, we would be lying about her age to PAY for admission, not to get in free ;) LOL

Basically, the magical gatherings require that the 8 people in the group be PAYING visitors. So, the child "under 3" would not be eligible unless we paid for her admission. We'd like to do some of the group events, but can't - even though we'll have 8 people - just because the youngest is going to be under three.

I hope that makes more sense :)

so, let me get this right, you would be willing to pay for your daughter in order for her to be counted as the 8th person??? Why don't you just ask them if you can do that instead of lieing about it, I am sure they would be more then willing to take your money!!:) :)

Originally posted by disneyfanz04
so, let me get this right, you would be willing to pay for your daughter in order for her to be counted as the 8th person??? Why don't you just ask them if you can do that instead of lieing about it, I am sure they would be more then willing to take your money!!:) :)

As for the first question, absolutely! These appear to be pretty cool experiences, and I am willing paying an extra child rate to have the opportunity to try them out.

As for the second question, see pirateofthecarolinas' post earlier in this thread - she did ask, and they said no!

The whole GG thing has not been the most efficiently implemented program - uncharacteristic for Disney to be sure. I think the answer might change depending on what CM answers the phone - but, why take the chance. If you have a child that isn't 3, but that could pass for 3, just tell them the child is 3 - but be ready with an appropriate date of birth - that's what they ask for!

I was just reading more on it and noticed that you have to have a grand gathering ID number and that all members have to stay at WDW resorts. So, does that mean the "under 3" child has to be listed as "over 3" in the resort as well?

Just wondering :)

Originally posted by 05ChristmasSurprise
I was just reading more on it and noticed that you have to have a grand gathering ID number and that all members have to stay at WDW resorts. So, does that mean the "under 3" child has to be listed as "over 3" in the resort as well?

Just wondering :)

Hmm, good question. It seems like the answer would be "yes." But unless you are booking a package, I don't know why you would need to list every member of your party in your resort reservation... I've never had to do this. If you are booking a package with hopper tickets, etc., then you most certainly would have to list each guest and their ages for purposes of the tickets - and I would think this probably would transfer over to the GG "department." At this point, I am just guessing though.

We are staying at the Dolphin - after making my reservation direclty with the hotel, I gave names and ages to someone at the Dolphin, who called for me to get the GG#.

When your Grand Gathering was booked Disney took note of the names and ages of all children in the party, even if it's a Room Only reservation. Your daughter is listed as an 'infant', a 2 year old, or not at all (depends on the CM who books it. Some do not hold names of children under 3). Also, for the Safari Celebration you will need park admission to experience the Grand Gathering event, so it isn't just a matter of purchasing a Grand Gathering event ticket, it's park admission, too.

Disney will certainly know 2 of the children are not over the age of 3. They are not going to count them, even if you offer to pay. :( Not good news, but better to be aware of it than to try to pass the children off as 3 when Disney will know they are not.

One question...........how did you get a Grand Gathering if you do not have 8 or more paying guests? Disney policy is GG's are for 8 or more paying guests only. Not questioning whether or not you DID book as a Grand Gathering, just curious as to how it happened.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter