magnolia experts...advice needed

LAinSEA

Meowmy to Tuxedo Cats
We just lost our 11 month old kitten to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy this past Monday...

we are planning to get an evergreen magnolia tree to plant in our backyard to remember her by. the subspecies we are looking to get is "little gem". has anyone had any experience with this tree and will it survive our NW winters? (we have found this tree available at area nurseries but we also often find plants like bouganvilla that will not survive the winter as well)

thanks for any assistance or expertise...Samantha was a "tuxedo cat" - like her 16 year old "big brother" and 4 year old "big sister" - we all miss her very much.

-LA

I am no expert, but was determined to have a Magnolia tree in my front yard.. I planted it last year and it is blooming and I live in MA so I know about cold winters.. I am going to check and see what kind of Magnolia it is.. HOLD ON..

I am back. it is a Royal Star Magnolia.. and it is blooming and looking pretty terrific.. Good luck..

we have a star magnolia also - it's desiduous (sp?) - the tree we're looking at is an evergreen magnolia a subspecies of the "southern magnolia". There are evergreen magnolias that grown here in western Washington, I was wondering if "little gem" a smaller version grows well here also.

thanks,
LA

I am not familiar with evergreen magnolia's although I'm almost sure they are not hardy in cold areas. I think they are suited for mild areas.

I have a soulroses magnolia with beautiful pink blooms. Today some of its flowers opened. I hope we do not get a frost. Last year we got a heavy frost and I lost all the blossoms.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter