Mail Delivery Person Comments on Packages

People who look to be offended often are. She’s making small talk. Who cares? If you are embarrassed about your ordering that’s your hangup. I’m not embarrassed by my Costco trips and yes- people often comment because I buy a lot because we are a big family. I just laugh. It’s small talk. Nothing more.

I understand where you are coming from. Her job is to deliver and not comment about your personal life. The other day I purchased several greeting cards at Walgreens, the cashier opened the first and read it, when she started to open the second to read I told her that it was non of her concern to just ring up the order. For some reason I just didn't like her reading them.

That was kind of a weird reaction. It wasn't like you had already signed the cards and there were personal messages written in them.

This was a reply to the the post a couple up. For some reason QUOTE didn't work.

I've had this happen, too. Sometimes people are just chatty. Maybe instead of being offended, the poster should be proud the cashier was interested in her selection. Excellent taste in hallmark.
Can't we all just get along? LOL

If you are embarrassed about your ordering that’s your hangup.

This pretty much sums it up. The mail lady isn't responsible for managing someone else's personal feelings about their shopping habits. She was making small talk and just trying to connect. Why are we so afraid of human interaction and letting people in? I am totally against the idea that someone should just "keep their head down and do their job". She's in a role where she gets to actually meet the people she's serving once in a while, and if the only common ground she has to start with is the number of times she gets to visit for package delivery, then so be it.

We are the Amazon package family!
On recycling day on Mondays, I tell my husband "we are the Amazon box family". We have at least 5-7 boxes.
I'm sure the delivery guy thinks the same thing about us.
Don't worry about it, it's harmless.
Maybe she's letting you know how hard she works for you since the Holidays are coming and she wants a "Holiday bonus" :D:P

well I dont care, she has no right to make the OP guilty about the amount of mail being delivered and maybe some home truths would make HER embarrassed, see how she likes being made fun of, and actually it is the rise of online shopping which is keeping mail delivery people in jobs now!

She can only make the OP feel guilty with the OP's cooperation. IMO it won't benefit OP and her feelings at all to create a guaranteed uncomfortable situation, particular when it all boils down to nothing but pointless small talk.

People who look to be offended often are. She’s making small talk. Who cares? If you are embarrassed about your ordering that’s your hangup. I’m not embarrassed by my Costco trips and yes- people often comment because I buy a lot because we are a big family. I just laugh. It’s small talk. Nothing more.

Eh, I don't know. I would view it as small talk if she said it once or twice. Or maybe if it was closer to the holidays if it was something like "you sure are getting a lot of packages, must be getting ready for the holidays" I would consider that small talk. If the woman is making multiple comments to the OP and her husband about the number of packages that is what makes me think it isn't small talk so much as her being nosy and perhaps rude.

Eh, I don't know. I would view it as small talk if she said it once or twice. Or maybe if it was closer to the holidays if it was something like "you sure are getting a lot of packages, must be getting ready for the holidays" I would consider that small talk. If the woman is making multiple comments to the OP and her husband about the number of packages that is what makes me think it isn't small talk so much as her being nosy and perhaps rude.

Best answer for nosiness or rudeness in a situation like this is a polite, blank smile and nod. Completely shuts down and frustrates both curiosity and rudeness without needlessly fueling anything.

This is my first thread ever! I want to know if I am being petty or overreacting. I live in a gated community in a smallish town. We've had the same USPS mail woman for years. She's super nice and efficient. Anyway, I LOVE Amazon Prime. I really do not enjoy going to stores, plus there is nothing in our area. It's at least a 30 minute drive in heavy traffic to get to the nearest Target and the mall is even farther. I probably order things from Amazon 3-4 times a week. Things range from my kids' Halloween costumes to a lid for my pan or whatever exercise supplement my husband is into now. I also order most of our clothing online. The mail lady when I do see her (I avoid her like the plague now) will comment about my getting boxes everyday. When she sees my husband, she will make comments about my getting packages every day! Yesterday he went to get the mail and she said to him 'your wife has no boxes today--wow that's a surprise!" It is seriously starting to bug me! It's not like I am ordering ceramic dolls off of QVC, there are things we need for the home or whatever--and I'm bothered I even have to explain that--I've tried to explain this to her too, which I find ridiculous. I just feel super embarrassed. I was thinking of leaving her a note explaining I am bothered by her comments but I don't want to offend her. How would you handle this? Again, this is a small area and we will probably have this woman for years to come.
And why would it matter if you WERE buying ceramic dolls off QVC?

Honestly, there's nothing to be embarrassed about here. I guarantee you aren't the only person on her route getting lots of Amazon Prime boxes. You probably should consider why it is that such an offhand comment would make you feel "super embarrassed".

Don't leave her a note. Instead, leave her some cookies or a gift card at Christmas thanking her for all her hard work (within whatever the legal limit is for mail carriers).

I wouldn’t give a second thought to it at all! Yes you are overreacting. Be glad you have friendly mail carrier/FedEx driver or UPS driver.

We too are a Amazon ordering family although not in a gated community as you are (not sure why you posted that)! Also the QVC doll comment totally unnecessary! Our mail carrier will bring our boxes up along with all the mail on days we get packages- we will chat for a moment. Sometimes he jokes about all the packages. When he’s on vacation it’s hit or miss with the sub driver- talkative or not. I’m going to miss my regular driver when he retires. He’s been around 24 years!

Just let it go and say thanks or smile - no need to get defensive.

We all need to remember service industry people are going to be stressed these next weeks. Being nice and a smile goes a long way- not “putting them in their place”.

Last edited:
It would make me feel a little self conscious too, but that's me. I care too much about what people think.

I would NOT leave a note or anything. I think the best strategy is to not answer the door when she comes, she will just leave the packages right? If she does say anything else, I think lightheartedness is your best bet. Something like, "Amazon has the best prices and as a bonus, I don't have to drive to the store, plus I keep you in business!"

I get annoyed at things like this because I am not a "small talk" person. I was checking out at the supermarket once and I needed an expensive ingredient to make a holiday dessert. The cashier commented on how expensive it was and even said something to the bagger like, "can you believe this is $4.99?????" Then she kept saying things like, "geesh that's pricey." She would not let up and I was so embarrassed and she made me feel so ashamed. I kept saying things like, "well, my SIL really likes this special dessert and she is hosting Thanksgiving so I am making it as a treat." I am just NOT one for small talk.

It would make me feel a little self conscious too, but that's me. I care too much about what people think.

I would NOT leave a note or anything. I think the best strategy is to not answer the door when she comes, she will just leave the packages right? If she does say anything else, I think lightheartedness is your best bet. Something like, "Amazon has the best prices and as a bonus, I don't have to drive to the store, plus I keep you in business!"

I get annoyed at things like this because I am not a "small talk" person. I was checking out at the supermarket once and I needed an expensive ingredient to make a holiday dessert. The cashier commented on how expensive it was and even said something to the bagger like, "can you believe this is $4.99?????" Then she kept saying things like, "geesh that's pricey." She would not let up and I was so embarrassed and she made me feel so ashamed. I kept saying things like, "well, my SIL really likes this special dessert and she is hosting Thanksgiving so I am making it as a treat." I am just NOT one for small talk.
I wouldn't have been bothered by that either. You don't need to justify anything too her. I probably would have said "It sure is expensive. Care to mark it down?"

The best way to respond to the mail carrier is to not respond at all when she again makes her comments. A blank stare should do the trick.

I don't like the cashiers reading my cards I'm purchasing either. They really shouldn't.

I am an Amazon addict and so is my tenant (her mail comes to my porch) so we get quite a few packages. My mail carrier also made a smart comment to me about all of the packages.

So, I puit a lot of thought into it. I realized that packages over 15 pounds came via UPS - so, not my mail carrier. I also realized that small packages would be put in my mailbox at the curb. So I started ordering based on this realization.

First were the two separate orders of pillows. Then came the roll of bubble wrap, then the order of pre filled balloons...

Just kidding. even though she made an exasperated shrug when she made the first comment, I know she was just making small talk and she is actually pretty nice.

How do you see your mail carrier? My husband is home during the day, and we get 2-3 Amazon deliveries a week as well, and hardly ever see her, unless it's her back as she's going to the next house.

Just keep your door closed until the carrier's gone.

Oh goodness. It this really where we are in 2018 that making small talk about the number of packages is now offensive and hurts feelings?? Do these comments keep you lying awake all night?

I work with kids in different programs. I am always picking up different little fun snacks at the grocery store. I throw the Halloween and holiday parties. It's always just me checking out. The cashier is always making comments about how much food I get and I laugh and smile tell her it's for the kids I work with. The first time I went home and laughed with my mom "does she think all of the food is for me?!" lol.

I mostly realize she stands there for hours a day just scanning away. She wants to have a little conversation! She just wants to engage with people. Your mail carrier drives around and delivers mail all day by herself. When she sees someone out she is trying to get human contact.

I think you need to calm down.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter