Major Policy Change in DVC/DCL Trade Policy UPDATE ON POST #193

Just FYI, I called 2 hours ago and was able to book Alaska for 6/21 (Cat 11B). There were 7 cabins available when I called. The MS I worked with said that there was also availability for 6/7 and 6/14. Unlike last week, when they had to put me on hold to call DCL to check availability, MS was able to pull availability up on his computer again.

I still was not able to convert my prior cash reservation to points (was waiting for 8/23), but it appears if you ask about a new booking they'll just tell you if there is availability. Hope this helps someone :goodvibes

Just FYI, I called 2 hours ago and was able to book Alaska for 6/21 (Cat 11B). There were 7 cabins available when I called. The MS I worked with said that there was also availability for 6/7 and 6/14. Unlike last week, when they had to put me on hold to call DCL to check availability, MS was able to pull availability up on his computer again.

I still was not able to convert my prior cash reservation to points (was waiting for 8/23), but it appears if you ask about a new booking they'll just tell you if there is availability. Hope this helps someone :goodvibes

I think my problem is that I have an onboard offer that they are trying to convert to points and can't get the system to complete the reservation. I am trying to walk the fine line between the words patient and pest-but it's very hard as I would love to know that I am completely booked before something else goes wrong...

Had a cash reservation made in April for a 7 night Caribbean crusie for 3/26. Sent my email to DVC expressing my unhappiness with hearing via the message boards that I would not be able to convert this reservation to points. Received a phone call 3 business days later as my automated email repsonse said i would. Was able to convert my reservation to DVC points!!!

So, in essence -- despite the title of this thread and some early fears -- it does not appear that anything unusual happened.

I have to say here, there is no bigger champion of DVC than I! :woohoo:

That being said, this thread is titled as such because those are the words told to me on Friday August 20 when this issue first surfaced. This was spoken by a DVC Supervisor to my husband and myself, and he was given ample warning that it was to be posted on the DIS.

And, (sorry Jim) but I must say that this was a very unusual occurrence. DVC told me the Sunday prior to call back in a couple of days while their computers "reset". I called on Wednesday, there was no problem, they said ok to call back after talking to DH to select the date I was switching to. I consider it to be extremely unusual to do as DVC recommends and then find out we were shut out that Friday. It is unusual in that I had never experienced anything of this sort in the past with DVC myself, and given the number here of those seeking accommodation, we had plenty of company. Even DVC considered it unusual too!

Anyway, all is well with us, I am happy to see so many other DIS'ers finding themselves with DVC making it all right for their cruise plans, too (whenever possible). I am extremely grateful for DVC's hard work on this situation! :goodvibes

That being said, this thread is titled as such because those are the words told to me on Friday August 20 when this issue first surfaced. This was spoken by a DVC Supervisor to my husband and myself, and he was given ample warning that it was to be posted on the DIS.
Carol, I'm sure nobody here has any doubt that you and Crissup were told what you were told, and that you reported your conversations with the MS folks accurately. I'm also sure nobody doubts that you gave them abundant warning that you were a DIS mod and you were going to post the issue on the DIS. So they should have given you the best, most accurate information they had at the time.

But...the fact that you were told something by a DVC MS supervisor doesn't necessarily mean they were correct. You would think they'd know the difference between an end of availability and a major policy change, but that does not seem to be the case based on every other conversation DIS members have had with members of the MS leadership team.

In fact, in your very first post on this thread you reported they had put you on a "call list." IF, in fact, there had been a policy change, a "call list" makes absolutely no sense. "Call list" for what? In case they change their minds about their new "policy?" Makes no sense in that context, but it makes perfect sense if availability -- not policy -- is the issue.

Based on your own early posts, I suspected this was simply an availability issue all along. The part that did NOT make sense to me at first was how things could change so suddenly. But when someone (Petraman, I think) posted being told that DCL availability is an overall value for each fiscal year, rather than specific cabins on specific sailings, the sudden change made sense as well -- they had a certain number of cabins for the FY and they simply ran out. And certainly, the DVC efforts to accommodate other DIS members with cash-to-point conversions indicates they are resolving an availability issue, as does the recent additional availability that Tim reported.

Regardless of what you were told, I'm convinced that there was never any change of policy, because everything except those first statements in your phone call indicates an availability problem.

And, (sorry Jim) but I must say that this was a very unusual occurrence.
Either I didn't word that very well or you took it out of context. When I said "nothing unusual happened" I was not referring to the event. I was referring to my belief that there was no policy change or other unusual factor -- just a lack of availability.

Certainly the exhaustion of availability is unusual -- this is only the second time in DVC's short history that it's occurred. I also think their efforts to be proactive in resolving member issues with DCL transactions have been unusual...in a good way. They've done very well, IMHO.

Anyway, all is well with us, I am happy to see so many other DIS'ers finding themselves with DVC making it all right for their cruise plans, too (whenever possible). I am extremely grateful for DVC's hard work on this situation! :goodvibes
Yep, and the end results are the important thing.

But they didn't "run out" of availability. That's misleading. DCL slashed availability, didn't they?

To me, that's not the same thing at all, and greatly changes my view of the program.

It doesn't matter was was said to who, or who did what, what matters is, that we all need to realize that Disney can do what ever they want, when they want and that they don't seem to care how it affects DVC Members.

Not providing advance notification about all of the recent policy and rule changes is also wrong IMO. :sad2:

:earsboy: Bill

It doesn't matter was was said to who, or who did what, what matters is, that we all need to realize that Disney can do what ever they want, when they want and that they don't seem to care how it affects DVC Members.

Not providing advance notification about all of the recent policy and rule changes is also wrong IMO. :sad2:

I agree, DVC should give us advance warning, regarding rule changes, etc. But, that's not what happened in this case, is it? Sounds like availability isn't monitered and it dried up earlier than usual. Didn't I read, this has happened only once before?

But they didn't "run out" of availability. That's misleading. DCL slashed availability, didn't they?
Not from everything DISers have been told by members of the MS leadership team in the process of answering our questions and resolving issues members encountered. They emphatically insist that there was no change of policy at all by either DVC or DCL.

That's not just from my conversations with them -- that is from everyone who has talked to a member of the leadership team, including a couple of members who have close friendships or special access to the leadership team.

But even more important than what DVC says, the real proof is in what they have done. If you look at their actions, they are very consistent with a simple exhaustion of availability and NOT consistent with a policy change at all.

I agree with you. The classic example was the fiasco with valet parking.

But as far as I can tell, that is NOT what heppened in this situation.

I am willing to be proven wrong -- somebody just show me some facts that indicate a policy has changed.

I agree, DVC should give us advance warning, regarding rule changes, etc. But, that's not what happened in this case, is it? Sounds like availability isn't monitered and it dried up earlier than usual. Didn't I read, this has happened only once before?

Shouldn't we expect them to monitor availability?

I do know that if something needs to get cut because of availability, DVC is the first to go.

Carol, I'm sure nobody here has any doubt that you and Crissup were told what you were told, and that you reported your conversations with the MS folks accurately. I'm also sure nobody doubts that you gave them abundant warning that you were a DIS mod and you were going to post the issue on the DIS. So they should have given you the best, most accurate information they had at the time..

It hadn't crossed my mind at all, but is this true, Carol? Did you give out a warning to MS that you were a Moderator on the Disboard and that you were going to post the info on the Disboard? :confused3

I hope DVC was monitoring the point levels with DCL. I suspect there was some kind of talks going on to increase the points that could be used. They may have hit the limit before something was worked out. DVC news announced a day or 2 ago there is some availability added to the Magic and Wonder. Nothing for the Dream. The call list is being used.

It seems like it is DVC policy not to give any advance notice about policy changes or any changes whenever possible. I've given up on expecting DVC to ever let you know in advance about any changes.

Here is how it works. DVC implements a change without letting members know about the change first. Members who are not happy about the change can then contact DVC about the change. A member of the DVC Member Satisfaction Team will then call you up and tell you that they will forward your concerns to "leadership' and then that is the end of it.....Until the next change. Rinse, Lather, Repeat as Necessary.

Not from everything DISers have been told by members of the MS leadership team in the process of answering our questions and resolving issues members encountered. They emphatically insist that there was no change of policy at all by either DVC or DCL.

That's not just from my conversations with them -- that is from everyone who has talked to a member of the leadership team, including a couple of members who have close friendships or special access to the leadership team.

But even more important than what DVC says, the real proof is in what they have done. If you look at their actions, they are very consistent with a simple exhaustion of availability and NOT consistent with a policy change at all.

But just three weeks ago, there was PLENTY of availability on every Dream cruise I was checking on, in every category level. It's impossible that those all booked up on points in these last 3 weeks -- I just don't believeit.

It hadn't crossed my mind at all, but is this true, Carol? Did you give out a warning to MS that you were a Moderator on the Disboard and that you were going to post the info on the Disboard? :confused3
Yes, she said that in her very first post. She wanted to give them fair warning that she was going to publish their responses, so they'd better be careful what they said. I believe she even repeated exactly what they said to her to be sure she understood correctly.

I think that is admirable on Carol's part -- someone just wanting to stir the pot would have not bothered to give them fair warning.

But just three weeks ago, there was PLENTY of availability on every Dream cruise I was checking on, in every category level. It's impossible that those all booked up on points in these last 3 weeks -- I just don't believeit.
I know. But you have to go back through the thread and read what all the posters who have actually spoken to MS leadership team members reported. That's hard to do because from time to time, we have wandered far off topic and it's hard to sort those posts out from all the speculative stuff.

There apparently is not specific availability for points usage on particular sailings. The explanation several of us have been given is that there is an overall amount of points availability for each fiscal year, and that when that's gone, it's gone.

This didn't happen over a period of three weeks -- it happened literally overnight. One day there was availability; the next morning there was none. That happens every day with resort availability - and it has happened once before with DCL -- I don't know why we have such a hard time understanding "no availability."

Yes, she said that in her very first post. She wanted to give them fair warning that she was going to publish their responses, so they'd better be careful what they said. I believe she even repeated exactly what they said to her to be sure she understood correctly.

I think that is admirable on Carol's part -- someone just wanting to stir the pot would have not bothered to give them fair warning.

I guess this whole idea of giving them a "fair warning" is just a little strange to me. So are you saying then that without this "fair warning" would we have been given a different answer from MS?

It seems like it is DVC policy not to give any advance notice about policy changes or any changes whenever possible. I've given up on expecting DVC to ever let you know in advance about any changes.

Here is how it works. DVC implements a change without letting members know about the change first. Members who are not happy about the change can then contact DVC about the change. A member of the DVC Member Satisfaction Team will then call you up and tell you that they will forward your concerns to "leadership' and then that is the end of it.....Until the next change. Rinse, Lather, Repeat as Necessary.

You catch on quick!

You might want to go back and read the thread before commenting, because that is not at all what has happened in this situation. DVC has fixed all but one case that I know of and that one is in progress.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter