Make a Wish (and other organizations) ~ Wish Trippers UNITE! Volume FIVE!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got a call from Jenna's Wish granter and our local chapter is telling her that our tickets to the parks can only be used during the seven days of our trip. So, for example, if we get a 3 day wdw pass and only go two days during the seven days of the wish, we cannot go on the eighth day. I thought that the tickets were good for two weeks? Does anyone know if what they are telling me is correct? They also told me that this will all be done through the Florida chapter, so I'm not sure that my chapter really knows many details about the specifics of the tickets. Fwiw, our plan is to add additional days to our tickets on the first day we are at DW. They say that we will have to purchase entirely new tickets.

Ok ... problem solved! I contacted our Wish Granters to see if they had any success in trying to get reservations and they scheduled Maddie for a Princess Makeover at DTD and a Princess Breakfast in Epcot! We don't know which days yet, but the reservations are made! And our flights are booked, too! I'm trying to figure out if I can fit a quick trip to the craft store into my schedule today, so that I can start making her things for the trip! Who needs work, right? :)

Yay that they were able to get the reservations. :cheer2: We did that breakfast our first trip, and Angel's like Maddie - she remembers the tiny details. She still talks about how a CM drove up in a golf cart & asked us if we were going to the breakfast, then whisked us right there. :) Yay that the flights are booked. Can't wait to see what you make for her. :)

We're doing the Akershus breakfast on the 28th and BBB at DTD on the 4th right before we leave!

Yay :cheer2: So sorry C is sick :hug: Praying she feels better.

Julie, I found this post on this thread, and Cheshire Figment is known for ticket expertise. :)

Yes. Normally Disney MYW tickets remain valid until they first go through a turnstile, and then are valid for up to 14 days. However, the tickets you get at GKTW are complimentary (free) tickets from Disney and must be used before their expiration date or until all entries are used up, whichever comes first.

I'm not sure how you can find out the expiration date before you get there though. I know other families used their wdw tickets during their extension.

I also found a quote (but apparently lost it) from Cheshire Figment that said the tickets cannot be added on to - sorry. :hug:

Here's the quote I lost:

You will need to look at the tickets themselves. They are definitely complimentary tickets which cannot be upgraded or modified in any way.

One potential problem is that many comps have a "not valid after" date on them. I'm not sure if these do, but if they do the date is strictly enforced (by the ticketing computer).

I just got a call from Jenna's Wish granter and our local chapter is telling her that our tickets to the parks can only be used during the seven days of our trip. So, for example, if we get a 3 day wdw pass and only go two days during the seven days of the wish, we cannot go on the eighth day. I thought that the tickets were good for two weeks? Does anyone know if what they are telling me is correct? They also told me that this will all be done through the Florida chapter, so I'm not sure that my chapter really knows many details about the specifics of the tickets. Fwiw, our plan is to add additional days to our tickets on the first day we are at DW. They say that we will have to purchase entirely new tickets.

The tickets are donated by the parks, as far as I know from the info I received at GKTW when they gave us the tickets, the one from Disney World is a 3 day park hopper, after you use it the first day, you have 14 days to use the other two days. So if you did not use all of the tickets by the seventh day, on day eight, you could use them. I think universal is the same way. We did not use our Universal Tickets, I gave them back to GKTW because I did not think we would ever be back in floridia at that time, the lady at the desk told me I should keep them because since I had not used them yet they were good for a year.
I have also found that many of the MAW volunteers do not know all of the details of what is at the GKTW. You can call them to ask questions- GKTW.
When we were there, there was alot of families that was extending thier trips, offsite of GKTW of course. They took advantage of all of the tickets that was available other than the WDW, UNIVERSAL & SEA WORLD. We did go to Gatorland instead of Universal.

I just found our WDW tickets from 2011 - this is what the back says
3 DAY COMPASSION PROGRAM COMPLIMENTARY
VALID THROUGH 7/27/11
NOT FOR SALE - NOT UPGRADABLE

SEA WORLD TICKETS FROM 2011- THIS IS WHAT THE BACK SAYS
SINGLE DAY COMP
VALID 1 DAY THUR 12/31/2011
NOT FOR SALE NON-REFUNDABLE NON-TRANSFERABLE

I DO NOT HAVE THE UNIVERSAL TICKETS.

So you will have to buy a full day ticket if you go more than the 3-day hopper allowes - you can not add on.

The GKTW volunteer that told me I could keep the UNIVERSAL TICKETS COULD BE RIGHT OR WRONG, I have no way of knowing since I did not keep the tickets, I just felt I was doing the right thing by turning them in since we did not use them.

Ok ... problem solved! I contacted our Wish Granters to see if they had any success in trying to get reservations and they scheduled Maddie for a Princess Makeover at DTD and a Princess Breakfast in Epcot! We don't know which days yet, but the reservations are made! And our flights are booked, too! I'm trying to figure out if I can fit a quick trip to the craft store into my schedule today, so that I can start making her things for the trip! Who needs work, right? :)

So glad they were able to get it booked for her!!

Jackie

I would call GKTW to make sure you get the correct and most current information on this question...

Chesire Figment is a CM that works in ticketing - so he would know, too - but I am not sure how old the answer is that was quoted and these things can change.

Disney is also in the process of updating their stuff to include those "Magic Bands" that will have some integration with ticketing - so I am not sure if that will cause any changes to ticketing or not? But I think it is definitely worth a phone call to GKTW - 1-800-995-KIDS and they can give you the most recent answer to this question. :)

I do think you will have to purchase "NEW" tickets to "ADD" days - Which is really quite expensive... a One Day ticket is almost a hundred dollars per adult and nearly that much for a child's ticket, too - and that does NOT include the "Park Hopper" option...but as you add on days the 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc day is cheaper as you add days.

Thanks so much everyone! I feel much better!

I'm a little bummed that we can't add days, but I completely understand and think that it is amazing that the parks support these programs by giving tickets. We are more than happy that we get any tickets at all.

I had to have a lithotripsy done this morning to break up a kidney stone. I'm still a bit groggy and hoping the stone fragments pass soon. I feel so bad because today is hubby's birthday! He did have an excuse to take the day off, but has spent it at the hospital and then being super dad all day. I'm hoping I can think of a fun way to make it up to him another day.

Now that we have our dates, I tried calling Disney to see if they have any availability for either the Bibbidi Bobbido Boutique or Cinderella's Royal Table, and the cast member pretty much laughed at me. He gave me a lecture about how "these types of experiences are booked 180 days in advance" and how we shouldn't expect to get a reservation less than 2 months before our dates. I know this and told him that I was familiar with how popular these things are, but that I was still hoping that a cancellation might occur. He was pretty rude, saying "I can't tell you not to call back, but there's almost no chance that a spot with open for either." Should I just ignore this rude cast-member and keep trying each day, hoping for a cancellation, or should I just accept that neither are going to happen? I hate rude people :sad2:

Yes, I told him that this was a Make A Wish trip. He appeared to have no idea what MAW was. He told me that we should "stay on property" so that we can book things earlier next time. Hopefully, a cancellation will happen and we can get in. If not, I know that it will be a wonderful trip even without the makeover and dining.

This CM, unfortunately, seems totally clueless. It bothers me because there are literally over 100 MAW families staying at Disney any given day and CM's should know about it! Maybe they are new. But there really is no excuse for rudeness on their part, in my opinion. :)

But...I would call every day (or as often as you want) - you may not be able to get the exact time you want - but they either should have an opening or you should get lucky at some point and get a CM that has a clue at some point between now and then.

If you are trying for BBB - then it is a lot easier to get it at Downtown Disney and it is a bigger shop there - PLUS you don't have to use valuable Disney time - if you wanted to do the makeover on one day and then shop that day or something - the hair and stuff pretty much stays put for at least a day.

IF you don't have something before you leave - then ask when you check in at GKTW - they may have someone there that is able to help you...

and IF that doesn't work - then take your MAW button and Green Light GAC to Guest Services and see if they can work some magic.

The right CM can make really amazing things happen sometimes.

This CM, unfortunately, seems totally clueless. It bothers me because there are literally over 100 MAW families staying at Disney any given day and CM's should know about it! Maybe they are new. But there really is no excuse for rudeness on their part, in my opinion. :)

But...I would call every day (or as often as you want) - you may not be able to get the exact time you want - but they either should have an opening or you should get lucky at some point and get a CM that has a clue at some point between now and then.

If you are trying for BBB - then it is a lot easier to get it at Downtown Disney and it is a bigger shop there - PLUS you don't have to use valuable Disney time - if you wanted to do the makeover on one day and then shop that day or something - the hair and stuff pretty much stays put for at least a day.

IF you don't have something before you leave - then ask when you check in at GKTW - they may have someone there that is able to help you...

and IF that doesn't work - then take your MAW button and Green Light GAC to Guest Services and see if they can work some magic.

The right CM can make really amazing things happen sometimes.

The OP has updated and she has the reservations she wants.

Thanks so much everyone! I feel much better!

I'm a little bummed that we can't add days, but I completely understand and think that it is amazing that the parks support these programs by giving tickets. We are more than happy that we get any tickets at all.

I had to have a lithotripsy done this morning to break up a kidney stone. I'm still a bit groggy and hoping the stone fragments pass soon. I feel so bad because today is hubby's birthday! He did have an excuse to take the day off, but has spent it at the hospital and then being super dad all day. I'm hoping I can think of a fun way to make it up to him another day.

Kidney stones?!? oh no! That is terrible! I have those and they are horrible!

I hope you feel better soon!

I am so glad you guys got the ressie!! :)

I am not doing so well reading this thread backwards today! :upsidedow

Ok. Our wish is just disastrous. They said whoever stays with us has to travel with us. You would think they'd be happy to save money on a plane ticket. So now, our plan has changed. If we drive, they won't contribute to the cost of driving at all. Not sure what to do. Looks like we either need to pay gas for two of our vehicles to drive or we fly and pay for all of my moms tickets and such out of pocket. But, that can't happen either. Because of my medical issues, I can't stay in the village by myself with the kids. I just want to cry.

I think we're just going to pray the 15 passenger van will make it and all ride together. Ava won't get to fly, but it's the best we can do. And if we don't get gas money, then we don't get gas money. I just wish they would make this a little easier on us. I think they may just be a little upset that we're determined to bring all the kids.

Kristy

Aw man!!! I am sorry this has been such a struggle - I really hope this has worked out for you guys or will in the very near future! :hug:

I agree with the previous poster that was wondering if they would help with gas since the official wish trip participants are no longer flying?

I don't typically do this...

But I have been trying to go back and read the TR's that I missed over the past two years - and was reading this one today...

icecreamforbreakfast (Joey) - Joey's Trip Report from 2010

I was struck by how simple their trip was... and how much they enjoyed sleeping in some and just hanging out at GKTW - they "missed" a TON by the DIS standards - one day they didn't go to the Parks at all - but they didn't really "miss" it because they had so much fun just hanging out together and hitting the highlights.

I guess I worry that I spend so much time planning that sometimes I over plan these trips - and this was a great reminder to me to just go with the flow sometimes - and that even on a wish trip (when we want everything to be PERFECT and planned and rightfully so! :)) - we can go with no real plan except to relax and enjoy each others company and it can be awesome, too!

There are a TON of wonderful TRs linked that have great planning advice and many, many very magical moments documented on this thread and I hope you guys read them all and plan a ton - you have all been through so much and deserve the trip of a lifetime! - but I wanted to highlight this one today because of it's simplicity.

Don't be afraid to plan a simple trip for your family - that may be just what the "doctor" ordered. (And don't forget to eat ice cream for breakfast!) :goodvibes

maroo said:

But I have been trying to go back and read the TR's that I missed over the past two years - and was reading this one today...

I was struck by how simple their trip was... and how much they enjoyed sleeping in some and just hanging out at GKTW - they "missed" a TON by the DIS standards - one day they didn't go to the Parks at all - but they didn't really "miss" it because they had so much fun just hanging out together and hitting the highlights.

I guess I worry that I spend so much time planning that sometimes I over plan these trips - and this was a great reminder to me to just go with the flow sometimes - and that even on a wish trip (when we want everything to be PERFECT and planned and rightfully so! :)) - we can go with no real plan except to relax and enjoy each others company and it can be awesome, too!

There are a TON of wonderful TRs linked that have great planning advice and many, many very magical moments documented on this thread and I hope you guys read them all and plan a ton - you have all been through so much and deserve the trip of a lifetime! - but I wanted to highlight this one today because of it's simplicity.

Don't be afraid to plan a simple trip for your family - that may be just what the "doctor" ordered. (And don't forget to eat ice cream for breakfast!) :goodvibes

Great advice! I try to tell myself that often so that there are no disappointments if it doesnt all go as planned!

ajjmaw said:

Your tickets will have 14 days from date of first use until they expire. The tickets will be issued to you at GKTW, the Florida Chapter has nothing to do with them.

However, since they will be complimentary they cannot be upgraded or modified in any way.

Maroo, you are so right!!! Our wish trip in 2011 was simple, I did not have any info except what the wish volunteer gave us, I did not have the internet connected at that time. We spent most of our time at the village, what time we spent at Disney World, we done the M&G's. It was hot, so DD wanted to go back to GKTW to get in the pool. We did not even go to Universal Studio's.
When we were back home & got internet connection, I started looking at sites, & I thought BOY!!! we missed alot. We dicided to take DD back to Disney World for her 5th birthday & to celebrate her being stable & off her meds, so I went into major planning mode for a yr. Well, we are back from our trip & we had an awesome time, but what I realize the most is that our first trip was awesome too, even though we did not do all kinds of things & not the special things like Cinderella's Castle & BBB, our trip was just the kind of trip we needed at the time, the first vacation we had with our DD. We stayed at the most AWESOME place that you can stay at, one that touches every core of your being, surrounded by ANGELS.

GOD BLESS EVERYONE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter