Making changes to a reservation booked through a travel agent – how to contact DU?? RESOLVED THANKS!

lorenni

DIS Veteran
Has anyone had any success making changes to the reservation booked through a travel agency? I totally get the travel agents are busy this weekend canceling/rebooking peoples cruises, but I am trying to upgrade my room for a cruise that leaves on the 14th and I’m not having any luck.

And in the meantime I keep watching veranda rooms appear in inventory and disappear as other people upgrade. I do not want to wait until I get to the port and hopes veranda is available then. I want to book one of the rooms that has come up available now, but may not be available tomorrow.

I think my greed in using a travel agent for the onboard credit has finally bit me in the butt. This will probably be the last time for me.

Can you put the room in your basket like you are going to book online? I think that puts a three day hold on the room doesn’t it? We did that because we weren’t 100% sure and then decided a day later we would book and then called DCL and the agent was able to get it released and then reserve it for us. Wonder if your travel agent could have them do that,

I thought it was only like 30 minutes that the cabin would be out of inventory unless a deposit was made or a hold made (actually check out....not just have it in the basket). But, I am not 100%

MJ

This will be my last time with DU. Telling me to get to the port at 10am and ask for an upgrade then, when I am willing to PAY for an upgrade now? Nope.

I should have mentioned in my original post that she did respond to my email yesterday and her suggestion was that I arrive at the port early I immediately wrote back and told her I wanted to pay for a veranda now and have heard nothing for about 24 hours. Not cool

I am with Costco and I haven't tried calling yet but the reports from others are scaring me.

This will be my last time with DU. Telling me to get to the port at 10am and ask for an upgrade then, when I am willing to PAY for an upgrade now? Nope.

I should have mentioned in my original post that she did respond to my email yesterday and her suggestion was that I arrive at the port early I immediately wrote back and told her I wanted to pay for a veranda now and have heard nothing for about 24 hours. Not cool
I hope it works out for you. I emailed my DU TA on Friday and haven’t heard back.

So, I can see GTY veranda staterooms for my cruise but my TA says she can’t see that option. I sent her a screenshot.

Is it possible that I would have different options booking direct through DCL? This is just getting stupid.

Starting to feel like she’s gaslighting me. One line emails to the effect of “oh you don’t want that” followed by 24 hours of silence.

I agree! I used a travel agent last year and it was not a good experience. I had very little communication, and if she did respond it took quite a while. I could never just call and speak with her. I decided the onboard credit just wasn't worth it and am very happy dealing directly with Disney, where you can always call and speak with someone.

weekends are the biggest downfall of using a TA. Are you past your PIF date? Is that the problem? I’m generally happy with my TA, but have seen a category popup on the weekend and is gone by Monday when she calls. Good luck. It’s a very frustrating time right now for cruisers. I don’t have a clue what’s going to happen for my April cruise (next month).

As mentioned, if you want to switch to a GTY cruise with restrictions, the restrictions are listed. You must cancel your existing reservation first and are subjected to cancellation fees, plus you lose your cabin, and anything you’ve reserved if you’ve done your checkin. If you’re not to your PIF date, you still have to cancel, but no fees.

Attachments

• 38D01CE2-19AE-4C09-BA48-13DFFA1DA97C.jpeg
    38D01CE2-19AE-4C09-BA48-13DFFA1DA97C.jpeg
    85 KB · Views: 4
People are confusing GTY rates with *GT rates but they’re not the same thing. GTY rates are not cheaper and they’re for a specific room category (I.e. 9C) . You’re guaranteed to get that category or higher. Changes and cancellations can be made with these rates. *GT rates are discounted rates with restrictions - no cancellations or changes. You don’t book a specific category , just inside, ocean view, or verandah.

People are confusing GTY rates with *GT rates but they’re not the same thing. GTY rates are not cheaper and they’re for a specific room category (I.e. 9C) . You’re guaranteed to get that category or higher. Changes and cancellations can be made with these rates. *GT rates are discounted rates with restrictions - no cancellations or changes. You don’t book a specific category , just inside, ocean view, or verandah.

What’s the advantage to booking GTY then? Or are those only there when a standard booking is no longer available? Trying to understand why someone would do this.

Thanks all - I was looking for the GTY veranda rate. Apparently even though I was very clear about that the travel agent read that as me asking for VGT which does not currently exist for the March 14 cruise. Hence all of the prolonged back-and-forth. After I sent her the screenshot from Disney’s website this morning everything clicked and she was able to book it for me.

So now if I get stuck on the ship with my 8 your old at least I’ll have a veranda!

What’s the advantage to booking GTY then? Or are those only there when a standard booking is no longer available? Trying to understand why someone would do this.
There’s not really an advantage per se, just if you really want that category. They switch to GTY rates when a category is mostly full. We booked a 9B GTY room for our cruise because there were no rooms available to choose in that category and to move up to a 9A room would have cost us $800 more. It just meant that DCL assigned our room for us.

Thanks all - I was looking for the GTY veranda rate. Apparently even though I was very clear about that the travel agent read that as me asking for VGT which does not currently exist for the March 14 cruise. Hence all of the prolonged back-and-forth. After I sent her the screenshot from Disney’s website this morning everything clicked and she was able to book it for me.

So now if I get stuck on the ship with my 8 your old at least I’ll have a veranda!
Maybe if you had listed the category GTY you wanted it would’ve been slightly more clear? (If you didn’t) Because clearly people confuse them often! Glad you got it all straightened out! 😊

Maybe if you had listed the category GTY you wanted it would’ve been slightly more clear? (If you didn’t) Because clearly people confuse them often! Glad you got it all straightened out! 😊

It was pretty clear. I’m sure they are just rushed and maybe reading too quickly.

Confusing GTY and *GT is a rookie mistake I would not have expected of a TA but it all worked out eventually.

It was pretty clear. I’m sure they are just rushed and maybe reading too quickly.

Confusing GTY and *GT is a rookie mistake I would not have expected of a TA but it all worked out eventually.
I just meant maybe the TA thought YOU were the one who was confusing the two! ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter