Maleficent, Darling, Simply Maleficent

My daughter and I saw it last week at Downtown Disney. Our expectations were pretty low after reading some of the reviews, but we thought it would be fun to see it at Disney while we were there. We both loved it! I'm not usually an Angelina fan, but she won me over with this movie! In fact, she makes the movie IMO. The rest of the acting, as previous posters have said, is pretty blah, with the exception of Sam Riley who portrayed Diaval. In fact, I thought I was going to lose my mind towards the end, because of the horrible performance by the actor who portrayed Stefan. That said, I still loved the story, and I'd like to see it again.

Several, including Jolie, have said it is going to be OK for kids. It is even rated PG, the same as Frozen, not PG-13 like most modern action flicks. I think the character in person, and in character, would definitely scare a young child. The movie should be different.

But, you are right, it will not be TS3.
Ha ha!!!! I take it all back- Yellowstone!!!! Toy Story 3 was way scarier than Maleficent!! Lotso bear has got her beat by a country mile!! I finally got to see it but couldn't catch it on imax 3d.....it was still very good though. I was waiting for something really scary and traumatizing to happen but it never happened!! It was very sad at times though and I wanted Maleficent to find true love. They should have had the guy who she kept turning into a bird become her love interest-----he'll do anything for her!! Oh- they copied off of Frozen but I still liked it!! :)

Ha ha!!!! I take it all back- Yellowstone!!!! Toy Story 3 was way scarier than Maleficent!! Lotso bear has got her beat by a country mile!! I finally got to see it but couldn't catch it on imax 3d.....it was still very good though. I was waiting for something really scary and traumatizing to happen but it never happened!! It was very sad at times though and I wanted Maleficent to find true love. They should have had the guy who she kept turning into a bird become her love interest-----he'll do anything for her!! Oh- they copied off of Frozen but I still liked it!! :)

:thumbsup2

Yes, I was hoping she would have some romance with her bird too. :love:

Did you notice that at the end, Maleficent and Diaval as a crow are flying together and all around each other over the moors? I think this may have been a "date." Now that she has learned about love, maybe... :hug:
:yay:

Did you notice that at the end, Maleficent and Diaval as a crow are flying together and all around each other over the moors? I think this may have been a "date." Now that she has learned about love, maybe... :hug:

Thank you for pointing that out. I didn't notice, because I was so busy bawling my eyes out. :sad: My kids think I'm completely nuts. :crazy2:

So, I'm curious as to how the way that the movie panned out will have an impact as to how Maleficent is portrayed around the parks, going forward.

She obviously wasn't the villain of the movie, so would she be omitted from the villain lineup? Or is it possible that they'll have two iterations of her, perhaps at different times of the year? Any chance of a M&G with the new Maleficent?

What about the "new" Aurora? Any chance of a M&G with her in her new dress, for example (the one that I saw selling for $80 at the Disney Store this weekend).

Maybe King Stefan should be added to the Villains lineup...

Thoughts?

So, I'm curious as to how the way that the movie panned out will have an impact as to how Maleficent is portrayed around the parks, going forward.

She obviously wasn't the villain of the movie, so would she be omitted from the villain lineup? Or is it possible that they'll have two iterations of her, perhaps at different times of the year? Any chance of a M&G with the new Maleficent?

What about the "new" Aurora? Any chance of a M&G with her in her new dress, for example (the one that I saw selling for $80 at the Disney Store this weekend).

Thoughts?

They had a good Jolieficent out recently that worked great and people wanted to meet her, but they often do characters for movie releases that are never seen again. A lot depends on how successful the movie is and the demand. Right now it looks good for seeing Jolieficent at least once in a while as the movie is a hit.

Right now Maleficent is doing well and is likely to end somewhere around or above the domestic gross of Oz the Great and Powerful. The real news is that in a few weeks Maleficent is almost tied Oz for overseas! It looks like Mal will definitely pass $500 million (In it's 3rd weekend it already is $435 million and is holding well.) and has a good shot at $600 million or more depending on what kind of legs it has going forward (Or wings in this case.)

:thumbsup2

That's great!!!! I didn't notice that----I wanna see this again.

Thoughts?
I was ready for Disney to get rid of the green Maleficent but after seeing the movie.....I think Disney should keep the green one for the original Sleep Beauty fairytale. I no longer feel that Maleficent is an evil villain.

Thank you for pointing that out. I didn't notice, because I was so busy bawling my eyes out. :sad: My kids think I'm completely nuts. :crazy2:
Haha!! I missed that part too!! :rotfl:

They had a good Jolieficent out recently that worked great and people wanted to meet her, but they often do characters for movie releases that are never seen again. A lot depends on how successful the movie is and the demand. Right now it looks good for seeing Jolieficent at least once in a while as the movie is a hit.

Right now Maleficent is doing well and is likely to end somewhere around or above the domestic gross of Oz the Great and Powerful. The real news is that in a few weeks Maleficent is almost tied Oz for overseas! It looks like Mal will definitely pass $500 million (In it's 3rd weekend it already is $435 million and is holding well.) and has a good shot at $600 million or more depending on what kind of legs it has going forward (Or wings in this case.)
That's great news!! I liked Maleficent much better than Oz. I have to give Angelina Jolie credit because she was better than all three of the Oz witch sisters combined!!!! ::yes::

It is now official: Maleficent is a blockbuster hit! In just 4 weeks it has exceeded $522 Million dollars and passed Oz the Great & Powerful. It is going gangbusters around the world and it hasn't opened in Japan yet. Maleficent is also Angelina Jolie's highest grossing live-action movie having passed Mr & Mrs Smith.

BoxOfficeMojo.com said:

http://boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3861&p=.htm

"Maleficent rounded out the Top Five with an estimated $13 million, which is off just 30 percent from last weekend. The movie has so far earned $186 million, and is on track to close north of $215 million. That will make it one of the biggest hits of the Summer, ahead of movies like The Amazing Spider-Man 2 and Godzilla."

And BoxOfficeMojo.com also said:

"Maleficent took first place at the international box office this weekend with $44.7 million. Nearly half of that came from a solid $20.3 million debut in China. The movie has earned $335.6 million overseas so far, and still has an opening in Japan on the way. On a worldwide basis, it's now star Angelina Jolie's highest-grossing live-action movie ever with $522 million."

And here is an article from Hollywood Reporter: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-milestone-maleficent-crosses-713905

I saw the movie last night. It was way beyond my expectation. I didn't read any reviews prior and was expecting an average summer fun movie. A chance to see Brad Pitt's daughter. OMG, I was so wrong. The movie really touched me as a woman and as a mother of 2 girls. And, that was before I realized the metaphor of rape in that powerful scene. Angie's performance was over the top. Yes, I also forgot about "Girl, Interrupted". I understand there are many faults in this film, but the message and the acting compensated them. My girls maybe too young to understand and some scenes may really bother them. However, I'm so glad this film was made and they can see it someday.

I saw the movie last night. It was way beyond my expectation. I didn't read any reviews prior and was expecting an average summer fun movie. A chance to see Brad Pitt's daughter. OMG, I was so wrong. The movie really touched me as a woman and as a mother of 2 girls. And, that was before I realized the metaphor of rape in that powerful scene. Angie's performance was over the top. Yes, I also forgot about "Girl, Interrupted". I understand there are many faults in this film, but the message and the acting compensated them. My girls maybe too young to understand and some scenes may really bother them. However, I'm so glad this film was made and they can see it someday.

That is very touching! I think Angelina Jolie and Ms. Woolverton would be very pleased. And to think this powerful and meaningful movie that touches on such important themes came not from some independent art-house film company, it came from DISNEY!! I think Walt would be very proud. Of Maleficent and Frozen.

I also really enjoyed Maleficent! I do think it was pretty flawed, though. (Warning: Spoilers ahead!!!) Some things I could've done without/disliked:

*The pixies. Not just because they were stupid, I also didn't care much for the odd change of names and things like that. If they wanted to make them short on brains and childish, that's fine, but they could've at least made an effort to make them somewhat likable.

*The almost saccharine ending. Yes, I know Stefan dies in the climax and it's pretty chaotic and hardly sweet, but the actual ending kind of wrapped everything up a bit too nicely. Aurora's awake and happy (I guess she didn't care her biological father just died gruesomely?), Maleficent's alive (I'm in agreement that she should've died) and one of the 'good guys' now, and everything's just too... perfect. Maybe it's just me, but I would've liked it if they left it on a more bittersweet note. Maleficent's death would've accomplished that, I think.

*Aurora's return to the castle. I agree with others that the movie should've been longer and parts of it definitely felt rushed. Take Aurora's return to her birthplace a day too early, for example. Her father completely brushes her off and orders her to be taken to her room without even blinking! Yes, I know he's worried about her safety, but considering he loves this girl enough to have done all this crazy stuff through the years just to protect her, I would've thought he could've at least showed some affection with her.

*The fact that Maleficent's change of heart was hardly explored. Maleficent went from being pretty cold (at least for the most part) toward Aurora into being absolutely adoring of her, enough that kissing her awoke her from the curse. But why? Yes, Aurora was a sweet (if bland...) girl, but they never really showed what it was that made Maleficent so taken with her. Sure, they spent some time together, but I've spent time with lots of people and never developed that strong of feelings for any of them.

I know Maleficent had been watching Aurora since she was a baby, but that still isn't enough. She hardly interacted with Aurora during that time, and when she did interact with her, she still seemed pretty reserved about the whole thing. They could've dived into Aurora and Maleficent's relationship much more than they did and made it clearer.

*Character development was weak. I know the original Aurora from Sleeping Beauty was pretty passive and dull, as most princesses were back in the day, but here was their chance to make Aurora into a character you'll actually remember for something other than her looks. But honestly, Maleficent's Aurora was just as forgettable, in my opinion.

Okay, she was a sweet girl. Good, great, terrific. But what else? Besides for her perpetual smile and sweetness, we're never shown any other character traits. Which, for me anyway, made her seem like background noise more than one of the film's most prominent characters.

The other development was also bad. Stefan was shown as being a nice kid, a power-hungry adult, and then a madman. He had no real depth beyond that; we're just supposed to accept this though because he's the villain. Oookkaaayy. It's Hans from Frozen all over again...

*Strayed too far from the original story. Yes, I know some people liked that this was an entirely new retelling. I, personally, would've enjoyed it more if they had kept more details the same and made Maleficent's redemption not quite as grand. She could've easily regretted her actions without becoming Aurora's surrogate mother. It would've made more sense to me, as well, but I may be in the minority.

*Pacing. Oh dear lord, the pacing. Don't even get me started. Some parts flew by us at an incredible speed so that the audience barely has time to register what's happening, while other parts dragged and seemed thrown in there just for the sake of being thrown in there.

*Too much CGI. This could be my bias speaking, though, as I have a personal hate for CGI... :blush: Still, the movie is a virtual cornucopia of computer graphics. I would've preferred a stronger story, with richer characters and proper pacing, over the CGI craziness any day. :snooty:

*Philip. Seriously, why bother including him at all? They took so many liberties with the rest of the story, they might as well have left him out entirely rather than giving him such a sad cameo appearance. JMO.

I'm sure there's more problems with it too, but this is already long enough and I saw the movie a while ago, so I've forgotten what the other flaws are. :lmao:

I know this might sound like I didn't enjoy it, but I actually did very much so. Angelina Jolie, whom I'm not even a big fan of, gave an absolutely delicious performance that did, in fact, make the movie. Some of the CGI, which I'm also not a fan of, actually looked really cool. Some parts were surprisingly comical and quite entertaining. I'd still probably give it three stars, even with all its many flaws, because it is a very good film. I'm just nitpicky. :p

Similarly, I thought Frozen (which seems to keep popping up on this thread) was a great movie, but deeply flawed at the same time. People were just more keen to ignore its flaws, probably because they were hidden fairly well behind pretty animation and an amazing score (I swear, musicals can sometimes get away with murder -- see Les Misérables, 2012). The characters in that film had similar poor development and few notable character traits/flaws (with the exception of perhaps Elsa, who had far more depth than Anna -- don't even get me started on Kristoff and Hans); the pacing was also a bit rushed, and things were thrown in just for the sake of explaining things that weren't ever actually explained (Elsa's powers, anyone? Those obnoxious trolls, or whatever they were?).

I know that seems pretty :offtopic:, but since Frozen and Maleficent are constantly being compared in terms of their feministic messages (I personally didn't see Maleficent as female-empowering at all; Frozen, on the other hand...), it should be pointed out that they share similar flaws as well. ;)

Overall rating: B-

I also really enjoyed Maleficent! I do think it was pretty flawed, though. (Warning: Spoilers ahead!!!) Some things I could've done without/disliked:

*The pixies. Not just because they were stupid, I also didn't care much for the odd change of names and things like that. If they wanted to make them short on brains and childish, that's fine, but they could've at least made an effort to make them somewhat likable.

*The almost saccharine ending. Yes, I know Stefan dies in the climax and it's pretty chaotic and hardly sweet, but the actual ending kind of wrapped everything up a bit too nicely. Aurora's awake and happy (I guess she didn't care her biological father just died gruesomely?), Maleficent's alive (I'm in agreement that she should've died) and one of the 'good guys' now, and everything's just too... perfect. Maybe it's just me, but I would've liked it if they left it on a more bittersweet note. Maleficent's death would've accomplished that, I think.

*Aurora's return to the castle. I agree with others that the movie should've been longer and parts of it definitely felt rushed. Take Aurora's return to her birthplace a day too early, for example. Her father completely brushes her off and orders her to be taken to her room without even blinking! Yes, I know he's worried about her safety, but considering he loves this girl enough to have done all this crazy stuff through the years just to protect her, I would've thought he could've at least showed some affection with her.

*The fact that Maleficent's change of heart was hardly explored. Maleficent went from being pretty cold (at least for the most part) toward Aurora into being absolutely adoring of her, enough that kissing her awoke her from the curse. But why? Yes, Aurora was a sweet (if bland...) girl, but they never really showed what it was that made Maleficent so taken with her. Sure, they spent some time together, but I've spent time with lots of people and never developed that strong of feelings for any of them.

I know Maleficent had been watching Aurora since she was a baby, but that still isn't enough. She hardly interacted with Aurora during that time, and when she did interact with her, she still seemed pretty reserved about the whole thing. They could've dived into Aurora and Maleficent's relationship much more than they did and made it clearer.

*Character development was weak. I know the original Aurora from Sleeping Beauty was pretty passive and dull, as most princesses were back in the day, but here was their chance to make Aurora into a character you'll actually remember for something other than her looks. But honestly, Maleficent's Aurora was just as forgettable, in my opinion.

Okay, she was a sweet girl. Good, great, terrific. But what else? Besides for her perpetual smile and sweetness, we're never shown any other character traits. Which, for me anyway, made her seem like background noise more than one of the film's most prominent characters.

The other development was also bad. Stefan was shown as being a nice kid, a power-hungry adult, and then a madman. He had no real depth beyond that; we're just supposed to accept this though because he's the villain. Oookkaaayy. It's Hans from Frozen all over again...

*Strayed too far from the original story. Yes, I know some people liked that this was an entirely new retelling. I, personally, would've enjoyed it more if they had kept more details the same and made Maleficent's redemption not quite as grand. She could've easily regretted her actions without becoming Aurora's surrogate mother. It would've made more sense to me, as well, but I may be in the minority.

*Pacing. Oh dear lord, the pacing. Don't even get me started. Some parts flew by us at an incredible speed so that the audience barely has time to register what's happening, while other parts dragged and seemed thrown in there just for the sake of being thrown in there.

*Too much CGI. This could be my bias speaking, though, as I have a personal hate for CGI... :blush: Still, the movie is a virtual cornucopia of computer graphics. I would've preferred a stronger story, with richer characters and proper pacing, over the CGI craziness any day. :snooty:

*Philip. Seriously, why bother including him at all? They took so many liberties with the rest of the story, they might as well have left him out entirely rather than giving him such a sad cameo appearance. JMO.

I'm sure there's more problems with it too, but this is already long enough and I saw the movie a while ago, so I've forgotten what the other flaws are. :lmao:

I know this might sound like I didn't enjoy it, but I actually did very much so. Angelina Jolie, whom I'm not even a big fan of, gave an absolutely delicious performance that did, in fact, make the movie. Some of the CGI, which I'm also not a fan of, actually looked really cool. Some parts were surprisingly comical and quite entertaining. I'd still probably give it three stars, even with all its many flaws, because it is a very good film. I'm just nitpicky. :p

Similarly, I thought Frozen (which seems to keep popping up on this thread) was a great movie, but deeply flawed at the same time. People were just more keen to ignore its flaws, probably because they were hidden fairly well behind pretty animation and an amazing score (I swear, musicals can sometimes get away with murder -- see Les Misérables, 2012). The characters in that film had similar poor development and few notable character traits/flaws (with the exception of perhaps Elsa, who had far more depth than Anna -- don't even get me started on Kristoff and Hans); the pacing was also a bit rushed, and things were thrown in just for the sake of explaining things that weren't ever actually explained (Elsa's powers, anyone? Those obnoxious trolls, or whatever they were?).

I know that seems pretty :offtopic:, but since Frozen and Maleficent are constantly being compared in terms of their feministic messages (I personally didn't see Maleficent as female-empowering at all; Frozen, on the other hand...), it should be pointed out that they share similar flaws as well. ;)

No, tell us how you really feel. :lmao:

Thanks for the details. Wow, you are a tough critic, but glad you can see all those flaws and still like the movie overall. I wonder if you would have preferred a Maleficent that remained evil. You didn't exactly say that but didn't like where they went. I find most people fall into two camps; either they love the changes as I did, or they don't.

A lot of your concerns regarding Maleficent and Frozen have been shared by others.

I probably disagree with a number of your flaws or don't see them as strongly, but one I find interesting: Frozen's character development. I think it is fantastic! Anna is fleshed out with a particular personality style and acts throughout the movie in a manner consistent with that personality. Same with Elsa. Better than almost all animated movies and lots of live action movies. This is good writing and good development.

We would agree 100% that a little more time could have been used for any of a number of characters without making the movie too long.

All-in-all I am glad you enjoyed the movie!

BTW: Maleficent has been holding very well and staying in the top 5. Maleficent has gone over $200 million domestic, is getting close to $600 million world wide, and opens in Japan next weekend. Blockbuster is the term being used now.

More next week!

I wonder if you would have preferred a Maleficent that remained evil. You didn't exactly say that but didn't like where they went.

Honestly, I really liked that Maleficent redeemed herself, don't get me wrong. I'm glad they did that rather than making her evil. My problem is I think they went with the opposite extreme from making her evil into making her almost too good.

This was evidenced mainly by her relationship with Aurora. Like I said in my last post, I would've preferred it if they made her come around to Aurora but not, you know, become something of a surrogate mother to her. (I'm using that term loosely here, but she did seem to be at least more of a parent to her than those pixies!)

I also think that they could've done something more along the lines of Wicked where we, the audience, see her as more than evil, as someone with depth, but at the same time, she's not completely good. I would've liked it if they ended it with either her death, or her leaving everything behind and disappearing, so we don't know what became of her.

So, I love the idea of Maleficent being more than just evil, but I also don't want her to be one of the 'good guys,' per se. If that makes sense. ;)

I find most people fall into two camps; either they love the changes as I did, or they don't.

I've noticed that, too! In fact, I was just discussing the film with a friend and I mentioned that exact thought. It's rather interesting.

I probably disagree with a number of your flaws or don't see them as strongly, but one I find interesting: Frozen's character development. I think it is fantastic! Anna is fleshed out with a particular personality style and acts throughout the movie in a manner consistent with that personality. Same with Elsa. Better than almost all animated movies and lots of live action movies. This is good writing and good development.

I do agree with you that Anna acts consistently and I admire that, for sure, as well as Elsa. That said, if you give much thought to their personalities beyond the consistency, you'll see some faults.

One of the issues I have with Anna is that she's a cliché and, at least to me, very uninteresting. She's the quirky, clumsy girl that's so very innocent and naïve and humorous, blah blah blah. If you read a YA book or watch a tweenaged-or-teenaged-girl movie, you'll probably find that same character type. It seems all writers believe that girls of a certain age will relate to girls who are clumsy and quirky and sweet. That was one of the first things that annoyed me. The second the older Anna was introduced and I realized that yes, she was one of those, I honestly had to stifle a groan at the unoriginality of it.

I know her personality might've been meant to contrast Elsa's, but there were so many ways they could've contrasted Elsa's personality without Anna being turned into a bumbling, stereotypical character.

Further, you'll notice that Anna has no real flaws or personality traits beyond the above. Think about it for a second -- what's Anna's personality really like? Beyond being clumsy, quirky, sweet, there's not much there. She doesn't have the same level of characterization and depth Elsa does, and she fits perfectly into a cliché mold used time and time again by screenwriters and authors.

A friend of mine who agreed with me on this pointed out that Anna's personality also bears a strong resemblance to Rapunzel's in Tangled (2010). Both of them are the "quirky girls" that are pretty, sweet to the point of being saccharine, and almost too likable. Neither have any glaring flaws (beyond their naïvety and Anna's clumsiness, though those are minor at best). Hence the reason I criticized Anna's development as a character.

I could go on for even longer about Hans and Kristoff, but I won't bore you by getting any further off topic. :lmao:

I probably disagree with a number of your flaws or don't see them as strongly

When you have a second, I'd love to hear more of what you disagree with and why! I have an open mind and love a good counterargument. :goodvibes

No, tell us how you really feel.

Thanks for the details. Wow, you are a tough critic, but glad you can see all those flaws and still like the movie overall.

Haha, yes, sorry that post was so long! And this post, too, for that matter. I get a bit carried away with these things. :rotfl:

I'm a writer myself and know a bit about screenwriting and cinema (as well as being a rabid perfectionist), so I can be intensely nitpicky about smaller flaws that most people, I'm sure, would hardly care about. :lmao:

Honestly, I really liked that Maleficent redeemed herself, don't get me wrong. I'm glad they did that rather than making her evil. My problem is I think they went with the opposite extreme from making her evil into making her almost too good.

This was evidenced mainly by her relationship with Aurora. Like I said in my last post, I would've preferred it if they made her come around to Aurora but not, you know, become something of a surrogate mother to her. (I'm using that term loosely here, but she did seem to be at least more of a parent to her than those pixies!)

I also think that they could've done something more along the lines of Wicked where we, the audience, see her as more than evil, as someone with depth, but at the same time, she's not completely good. I would've liked it if they ended it with either her death, or her leaving everything behind and disappearing, so we don't know what became of her.

So, I love the idea of Maleficent being more than just evil, but I also don't want her to be one of the 'good guys,' per se. If that makes sense. ;)

I've noticed that, too! In fact, I was just discussing the film with a friend and I mentioned that exact thought. It's rather interesting.

I do agree with you that Anna acts consistently and I admire that, for sure, as well as Elsa. That said, if you give much thought to their personalities beyond the consistency, you'll see some faults.

One of the issues I have with Anna is that she's a cliché and, at least to me, very uninteresting. She's the quirky, clumsy girl that's so very innocent and naïve and humorous, blah blah blah. If you read a YA book or watch a tweenaged-or-teenaged-girl movie, you'll probably find that same character type. It seems all writers believe that girls of a certain age will relate to girls who are clumsy and quirky and sweet. That was one of the first things that annoyed me. The second the older Anna was introduced and I realized that yes, she was one of those, I honestly had to stifle a groan at the unoriginality of it.

I know her personality might've been meant to contrast Elsa's, but there were so many ways they could've contrasted Elsa's personality without Anna being turned into a bumbling, stereotypical character.

Further, you'll notice that Anna has no real flaws or personality traits beyond the above. Think about it for a second -- what's Anna's personality really like? Beyond being clumsy, quirky, sweet, there's not much there. She doesn't have the same level of characterization and depth Elsa does, and she fits perfectly into a cliché mold used time and time again by screenwriters and authors.

A friend of mine who agreed with me on this pointed out that Anna's personality also bears a strong resemblance to Rapunzel's in Tangled (2010). Both of them are the "quirky girls" that are pretty, sweet to the point of being saccharine, and almost too likable. Neither have any glaring flaws (beyond their naïvety and Anna's clumsiness, though those are minor at best). Hence the reason I criticized Anna's development as a character.

I could go on for even longer about Hans and Kristoff, but I won't bore you by getting any further off topic. :lmao:

When you have a second, I'd love to hear more of what you disagree with and why! I have an open mind and love a good counterargument. :goodvibes

Haha, yes, sorry that post was so long! And this post, too, for that matter. I get a bit carried away with these things. :rotfl:

I'm a writer myself and know a bit about screenwriting and cinema (as well as being a rabid perfectionist), so I can be intensely nitpicky about smaller flaws that most people, I'm sure, would hardly care about. :lmao:

Never apologize for long posts on a discussion board! :)

I still think they did Anna pretty well for an animated princess movie under 2 hours where she is one of two main females. She is complex, she isn't just spunky, she doesn't listen and sees things her way, she makes rash decisions, she causes problems by being so quick and sure. For a Disney movie that's pretty good.

I love Tangled but I think all these characters are better than Rapunzel. She was very shallow to me. But shallow isn't necessarily bad with a kids movie!

Hans! He was great. A nice guy, when leading in Anna's absence, a good guy (because he loves being in power) but greedy and selfish in the end. What a great twist as a bad guy! Kristoff was great too! Nice, and helpful, but not a whimp. Great relationship between the two. When did a animated kids movie do such good characters? Timon and Pumba?!

I tend to be the opposite of a nitpicker. When I love a story for a main part (In Frozen and Maleficent I love the main morals and twists very much) Then I tend to be very forgiving and can overlook much. As with anyone, we wear colored glasses according to our likes, dislikes, etc.. Mine may be darker glasses than some.

I was worried we would be hijacking someone's thread by getting into to a long discussion, but then I realized, it's my thread! :lmao:

When I get a little time, I'll address your other thread in more detail and try to cover Maleficent and Frozen together since there are some comparisons.

I still think they did Anna pretty well for an animated princess movie under 2 hours where she is one of two main females. She is complex, she isn't just spunky, she doesn't listen and sees things her way, she makes rash decisions, she causes problems by being so quick and sure. For a Disney movie that's pretty good.

That's a very interesting take on the character, I have to say!

Anna didn't strike me as any of those things when I saw Frozen. But thinking back on it, I suppose she was intriguing in her rashness and quick decision making. It does give her more depth when thinking of it that way.

I realize I didn't say anything that positive about her in my last post, so I'll add another of her virtues to the pot -- I think her desperate hunger for love (the reason she was so quick to accept Hans's proposal) is very interesting. I say that because, as is obvious in the movie, her desire for love stems from a different place than the princesses of yesteryear. Unlike them, it's not because she depends on men too much (after all, she goes after Elsa on her own rather than needing to be rescued like Snow or Aurora), it's because she's been so starved for it all her life, due in large part to her estranged relationship with her sister. I think the psychology of that was very cool and it also gives Anna a bit more depth and realism.

Like you said, considering the movie's length and the fact that it's a CGI princess movie at its core, I do think that Anna's development was pretty good. Certainly when compared to other Disney princesses, like Snow White, Cinderella, and yes, Aurora, Anna's incredibly complex and dimensional. I still would've loved it if they devoted a bit more time to giving her layers like they did with Elsa, though, and if they had made her character type a bit less cliché. ;)

I love Tangled but I think all these characters are better than Rapunzel. She was very shallow to me. But shallow isn't necessarily bad with a kids movie!

Intriguing take once again!

I personally liked Rapunzel, even though I realized she wasn't very developed or even all that interesting. I enjoyed the fact that she was smart and naïve all at once, bossy at times yet passive at others (like during her interactions with Mother Gothel), obedient with moments of headstrong eagerness, etc. Her personality repeatedly contradicted itself and evolved throughout the course of the film, while Anna's remained the same.

I said earlier that I appreciated the consistency of the characters in Frozen, and I meant it. But one of the things that made Rapunzel interesting was that her layers came out in such a way that it was almost contradictory, yet it didn't feel like that. It didn't come off as inconstant, but like she was growing as a character. Same is true with Flynn. This is something many movies try for, but don't fully achieve; it usually comes off more like inconsistency than actual growth.

Still, she wasn't all that developed and didn't have too many character traits, which was a bit disappointing. Anna is arguably much more developed, and I know that... but I still like Rapunzel more, for whatever reason. :thumbsup2

Hans! He was great. A nice guy, when leading in Anna's absence, a good guy (because he loves being in power) but greedy and selfish in the end.

Hmm. That's another very interesting take! I would, however, respectfully disagree.

The moment they revealed Hans was evil, they undid most of his past character development. Because all of his interaction with Anna was revealed to be a sham, as he was playing her, we really don't know who he is. Even the character traits he showed during his time "wooing" Anna were limp at best.

He was shown as being:

*Sweet... very sweet ("nice" falls into this category as well)
*Hungry for love (that's the vibe he gave with his whole brothers story, and the fact that he proposed to Anna so quickly... and even the title of their love song pointed toward this)
*Romantic?
*Funny?

The last two are me grasping at straws, because I honestly can't remember any other character traits he displayed. :lmao:

The scene where he was helping the people of Arendelle by giving out supplies also seemed fake to me. It could've been because he liked being in charge/being in a position of power, but I'm more inclined to believe that he did it solely so that no one would be suspicious of his intentions or anything like that, and so that his future subjects would already like him when he took over because of how kind he was to them during those rough times. Or something like that.

I don't think we can explain those actions away by simply being power hungry and enjoying being in command.

I could be wrong and Hans might be deeper than all this... but I honestly think he was just putting on a front.

And what does that mean? It means Hans is left with only:

*Deceptiveness/manipulativeness
*Evilness/power-hunger/greed

Wonderful! We have no explanation for why he's like this, just that he wants power and he's evil. Which isn't a cliché at all. :rolleyes2

Also, why the heck did they have to make him evil?! I'll admit that I thought the plot twist was pretty cool, but it also was such a cheap move! Many people who saw Frozen thought it was ridiculous that they had to go and solve the Anna-Kristoff-Hans love triangle by making Hans the villain, and I have to kind of agree. It did come off just like a quick and easy way to solve Anna's love woes, and also, a cheap way to give the film a villain (which was weird because the movie had made a big deal about having "no villain" since Elsa wasn't actually evil). It would've been nice if they hadn't given us a villain, considering pretty much every Disney movie in existence has one.

And you know what else? Instead of giving us a great villain with real depth and characterization, they give us Hans. Hans. He's like the biggest ripoff from the Cliché Movie Villain Handbook out there. The only thing that made him original was that in the beginning of the movie, they make us think he's one of the "good guys." But that was just him being a power-hungry, manipulative, evil...

Eh, you get my point. :sad2:

Also, since this thread was originally about Maleficent before I came along and ruined it, I feel I should note that everything I just said about Hans could also be applied to Stefan. The only real difference between the two is that Stefan spiraled into madness and showed at least something resembling love (maybe obsession? a territorial devotion?) for his daughter Aurora. Stefan is more complex than Hans, to be sure, but he definitely shares some of Hans's clichés and flaws as a character.

What a great twist as a bad guy! Kristoff was great too! Nice, and helpful, but not a whimp. Great relationship between the two. When did a animated kids movie do such good characters? Timon and Pumba?!

Okay, let me quote once again what you said about Kristoff, this time in bold:

Nice, and helpful, but not a whimp.

Those three traits would indeed be interesting if those were just the beginning of Kristoff's development. The problem is, Kristoff's development and traits begin and end at "nice," "helpful," and "not a wimp." If that is all Kristoff is as a character, he's pretty dull.

Yes, Kristoff was very helpful to Anna. He was also pretty sweet to her. He was also not a wimp in the slightest. But that's it. Seriously, in a movie that has a character as complex and dimensional as Elsa, how can there possibly be a character as weak as Kristoff?!

Normally, I would say that they had time constraints to deal with, and it's a kids movie so we shouldn't be expecting too much, blah blah blah... but I'm not even going to say that here, because Kristoff's lack of characterization is just inexcusable to me.

The older princess movies, like Snow White or Cinderella, show a notable lack of characterization. I still love them, and you can pardon these sins as being a flaw of the era in which they came out rather than a flaw of the writers. Back then, women were still expected to be somewhat submissive and pretty passive, so it only makes sense movies would reflect that. Sad, yes, but understandable.

Nowadays, people have a much higher standard for the characterization in Disney movies. We've been spoiled with films like Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King, and Mulan (just to name a few). Yet Kristoff, who's really a pretty lackluster character, particularly when compared to Elsa or even Anna, slips through the cracks somehow. No one even notices that Anna's main love interest has all of three character traits and not much else. It was one of my biggest pet peeves about Frozen... and I liked Kristoff. I did. I just thought he was so completely underdeveloped, which wouldn't have been too bad if, you know, he was a minor character... but he wasn't.

I will give him props for being somehow likable despite that, though. :goodvibes

That said, I found myself hoping Anna would end up with Hans (who, of course, isn't that developed either, but compared to Kristoff...). I was pretty disappointed when she ended up with Kristoff, honestly. Even though they'd known each other for a shorter span of time, Anna had actually learned more about Hans and his personality than she did about Kristoff during the whole time they spent together. (Not that she learned that much about Hans, and yes, of course it was all lies... but if it weren't, at least she had an idea of who he was. With Kristoff, the deepest thing she knew about him was that he was raised by trolls.)

To me, Kristoff is only a small step up from the princes of the old Disney films, whom we knew next to nothing about but were still supposed to want the princess to end up with (Prince Charming, Prince Philip, the prince from Snow White, etc.). Kristoff has more depth than they do, of course, but he's still pretty bland on the scale of things. Yet somehow, we're supposed to want Anna to choose him over Hans -- who, up to the whole evil plot twist thing, had seemed like a much better and more reliable pick.

I tend to be the opposite of a nitpicker. When I love a story for a main part (In Frozen and Maleficent I love the main morals and twists very much) Then I tend to be very forgiving and can overlook much. As with anyone, we wear colored glasses according to our likes, dislikes, etc.. Mine may be darker glasses than some.

That's a wonderful point, and very true. For example, you mentioned Timon and Pumba above and I very nearly went into quipping about their lack of development as characters (yes, they're both pretty original characters and Pumba shows a bit of unexplained dimension, but as a whole they struck me as mostly there for comic relief and not much else), but the truth is, I couldn't because I love The Lion King so much that it's hard to really criticize anything about it. Even Timon and Pumba. :lovestruc

I still love movies if they have good story lines or characters or whatever, but I'm also acutely aware of flaws. That's the reason I consider Frozen to be an awesome movie, and Maleficent to be really good, but still write long posts like these critiquing every single thing wrong with them. :rotfl2:

(And this is just me criticizing Frozen's character development. If I were to talk about its plot, originality, and other such major things -- which I wouldn't, as this thread's not even about Frozen and that would be just plain topic-hijacking -- I could easily go on and on about its dead-parents cliché, Elsa's unexplained powers, those annoying trolls which were really just thinly-veiled deus ex machina, the fact that it relied way too much on its admittedly amazing music, the cheesy and cliché "act of true love" thing, the predictability... et cetera, et cetera. :laughing:)

This may take a while. I will try very hard to be brief on each point, but for me it is hard. :confused3:lmao:

The pixies in the original were idiots, they just made them fat, adorable, grandmotherly idiots. I didn't think these were much different. I didn't find these terrible, thought they were mildly amusing. But seeing where the story was going, they needed to be poor caretakers. Plus you want people to like Maleficent so it requires making other characters on the other side less appealing.

While I could see a redeemed Maleficent dying - maybe dying to save Aurora. I think Disney knows most people LOVE HAPPY ENDING! It's Disney, I love a happy ending. It would have been better had they used a little more time to tell you something, but this is entertainment and I want my happy ending.

Maleficent was and is one of my favorite villains. Now I can have my cake and eat it too!! She is one of my favorite villains AND one of my favorite heroes. I love it!

While I agree it could have been longer, I think Stefan's dismissal of his returned daughter is part of the story. He doesn't really lover her. She's been gone her entire life and he has paid no attention. He doesn't know her. And he has become consumed with his greed for power, and his guilt, and gone a little crazy. Since his wife got sick, he lost his last connection with sanity and goodness. His behavior was appropriate for a selfish, guilt ridden, lonely, greedy despot.

But you have love, family, and balance in your life, Maleficent doesn't. Remember this is a hurt vengeful lonely Maleficent (She lost her parents young and has no other creatures like her that we could see.) and she spends all these years watching this wonderful innocent child grow and stays close. Probably at first out of curiosity and an evil desire to watch over and gloat over her victim in what amounts to the longest, slowest, death of vengeance ever. But, all that time with her turned her.

I am 54 and my children have grown. At my age children are so amazingly adorable and I have adopted grandkids at church that I do things with. The power of an innocent child to teach you about love cannot be underestimated. I would like more shown, but I understood right away what turned Maleficent. Anyone of a dozen children I know would! :) Oh, and Aurora loved nature and the Moors like Maleficent did. That means a lot!

I am not sure what else they could do with Aurora without distracting from the story. They showed how sweet and innocent she was. How loving and open, and how she loved nature. Elle did a great job at this.

Subtle hints. Stefan wasn't all that nice a kid. His first meeting with Maleficent happened because he stole a jewel of some kind. It was a hint about his character. Even at a young age he was developing greed and avarice. Unfortunately the shallow power-hungry half-mad king (Or politician) is all too real! I also think his greed and his guilt with a lack of repentance that turned to paranoia is a key part of the story and the reason he goes nuts.

I think the surrogate mother is an interesting approach. Many of these old stories (I read a feminist article I agreed with on Maleficent that mentioned this) are all about young innocent women are good, old women are evil - and hate the young women precisely because they are young women in Snow White. Think about it: Cinderella's stepmother, the Evil Queen, Maleficent, etc. This movie made the statement that young and old women are not enemies as the fairytales say. The only way to show a love powerful enough to break the curse is to show a motherly love develop.

This one I agree with. Overall the movie was great, but I am in the unusual position of wishing the director and editor had added 10 to 20 minutes.

Ha! This is another one that it either/or. A large number of critics said the CGI was awful and they couldn't stand it, another large number of critics said the CGI world was breathtaking, the best part of the movie, and the movie worth seeing for the CGI alone! Some love CGI, some hate it. I loved it, but wished they could have spent more time with some of those interesting creatures.

He cannot be too much in this story, but this is another item that might have been better with a little more time to flesh him out.

Go rewatch it! I've seen it twice and want to go one more time.

I am very glad you can see all the flaws, evaluate yourself, and still like the movie. It is, after all, just an entertaining story. Too many critics get so tied up in all the technical things they critique, that they forget that it is entertainment and condemn very good movies that tell a good story in spite of any technical flaws.

Absolutely LOVED Les Miserables. It was amazing! ;)

You have to have things that you except and move on with the story. I don't need to know how and why Elsa was born with these powers. She was. Don't waste time with the how and why, get on with the story.

Anna: Positive - spunky, tomboy, brave. Negatives: rash, too positive, doesn't listen to Elsa or others, tries to force others to her way of thinking. Has to be in control. Seems pretty realistic and like some people I know!

Same with Elsa - pretty realistic with both positives and negatives. A good example is when Anna finds Elsa in the Ice Castle and they sing a duet. Neither is listening to the other. Elsa is consumed with fear and doubt and is upset she can't be selfish. Anna is not listening to Elsa at all and is going to fix everything if only Elsa will do it Anna's way! Boy was that exchange honest for these two personalities. I bet there are sisters (and brothers) going, "Oh Anna is so YOU!" "Yeah, well Elsa is so, You!"

I think the feminist message is that Maleficent is not dependent on a man for her identity or salvation, and neither is Aurora. In fact, older and younger women can love each other in motherly/sisterly ways, and this is just as true a love as any romance. That is pretty feminist compared with the old fairytales!

Thanks for the detailed discussion! I can talk forever about something I love like Maleficent and Frozen!:mic::surfweb:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter