Manatees in July?

Ashlotte

DIS Veteran
Is it possible to see manatees with any consistency anywhere within a few hours drive if Orlando in late July, or are they all in the ocean at that time of year? Trying to plan for a fun birthday activity in between the park days at Disney.

I believe that the manatees are all out in the rivers/ocean in July because the water is warm enough for them to leave the springs and be out on open waters. However, it sounds like maybe you can see them in Titusville:
https://www.fws.gov/species/manatee-trichechus-manatus

If you are looking for someplace near Orlando to "go" we like Blue Spring State Park. I don't think the manatee will be in the Spring at that point, but it's a lovely park. The spring is very, very clear and you can see fish and turtles (and manatee, if they are in the spring) through the water from the elevated boardwalk along the spring's edge. In July you should be able to go swimming. There is a boat company that does river tours and a large, open, grassy area for picnics and play. I wish we'd known about this place when my daughter/nieces were little. It would have been a great place to take the kids on a non-park "down" day while at Disney.

Crystal River says you can spot them there year round, but the population is lower than in the cooler months: https://www.discovercrystalriverfl....or observing,smaller during the summer months.

At least there are the two rescue manatees at Epcot and a great exhibit at SeaWorld. Then there’s other nice things to go do within a couple hours of Orlando:
Clearwater Aquarium / Clearwater Beach
Kennedy Space Center
Cocoa Beach
Bok Tower Gardens
etc

Personally I want to drive a little farther and see the Morikami Japanese Gardens but those are all the way down to Palm Beach County / Boca Raton.

You are guaranteed to see them at Homosassa State Park. You can also see them underwater in the Fishbowl (a dry underwater observation vessel). The park is wonderful and taking the boat ride to the entrance is a must so long as the water levels are high enough.

I saw one at Daytona Beach yesterday swimming along in chest high water. We go to Daytona and New Smyrna frequently and this is the first I have seen during hot months. My guess is that it was heading to Ponce Inlet to get into the river. I have seen plenty at Daytona in December and January. Blue Springs is where we go during winter if we want to see some. There are plenty and you can get a good view.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter