Marathon spectator Qs

Minimousemomof2

Earning My Ears
What is the window of time that marathon spectators can access Magic Kingdom before you need a day ticket?

My family wants to cheer me on from Magic Kingdom and then head to Epcot to see me finish, but we will not have tickets to MK that day. I don't know if it will work out based on my corral placement and personal run time if they'll be made to leave before I get to main street.

I believe last year it was before 8am. It can change from year to year but will be in the event guide once it finally gets released about 2-3 weeks before the race weekend.

From last year's event guide:

Mile 10.3 – Magic Kingdom Park- Main Street, U.S.A. Area5:30 a.m. – 8:45 a.m.Take monorail from Epcot to Ticket & Transportation Center, exit monorail and walk down ramp, follow overhead signs and take the monorail to Magic Kingdom Park. *Theme park admission ticket not necessary before 7:30 a.m.

If the course changes, then this may change, but it will be close.

Last edited:
I do know the MK Main Street viewing area fills up FAST, so if they have their hearts set on that, they will want to be there super early. If they miss out on MK, there are lots of other (less crowded) areas on the monorail line to watch from. At the Contemporary/Bay Lake Tower you can walk out to the main road and see runners before they enter MK. Alternatively, you can walk out to the road near GF or Poly and see them after they've exited MK. And the TTC itself has lots of spectator areas, though it does get a bit crowded in spots. From the Poly or TTC they could walk directly to the Epcot monorail to catch you at the finish. (The monorail station is outside the park, so no tickets required.) Other locations would require grabbing the resort monorail back to the TTC and switching lines.

A member in my family requires mobility. Will they run buses with disability access from WL to EPCOT? Ideally they want to get to MK to see me for the Marathon but sounds like they will have to go to EPCOT 1st.

A member in my family requires mobility. Will they run buses with disability access from WL to EPCOT? Ideally they want to get to MK to see me for the Marathon but sounds like they will have to go to EPCOT 1st.

The buses they use to transport runners are not regular Disney buses--they use outside buses/drivers to handle the volume of runners. I don't know if the motor coaches have any kind of disability access.

I don’t remember the coach busses used for runner transportation having accessibility but I could be misremembering. What I really remember is how annoying those few bus stairs can be after a race.

Regardless, you should reach out to rD. They provide transportation for AWD so while I’m not sure the same will be provided for spectators, it doesn’t hurt to ask.

None of the rD race buses I've taken have had mobility access. But you can also Uber to the start/finish area, even at the time runners would need to be there. So there's always that option.

Question in case anyone knows -- if I'm staying at Bay Lake and decided to try for Main Street viewing, can I just walk over? Guessing I can not due to the course going through there. In which case I guess I'm taking the resort loop all the way around? Or is there some kind of check-in at TTC? Just curious if anyone has done this from the MK resort area.

Literally asking for a friend, as some locals coming over for the weekend are looking to be on Main Street rather than joining me outside BLT.

I don’t remember the coach busses used for runner transportation having accessibility but I could be misremembering. What I really remember is how annoying those few bus stairs can be after a race.

Regardless, you should reach out to rD. They provide transportation for AWD so while I’m not sure the same will be provided for spectators, it doesn’t hurt to ask.
Thanks and yes, any stairs after a marathon feel like Mt. Everest

None of the rD race buses I've taken have had mobility access. But you can also Uber to the start/finish area, even at the time runners would need to be there. So there's always that option.

Question in case anyone knows -- if I'm staying at Bay Lake and decided to try for Main Street viewing, can I just walk over? Guessing I can not due to the course going through there. In which case I guess I'm taking the resort loop all the way around? Or is there some kind of check-in at TTC? Just curious if anyone has done this from the MK resort area.

Literally asking for a friend, as some locals coming over for the weekend are looking to be on Main Street rather than joining me outside BLT.
I asked my husband, and while his memory is foggy about the details, it sounds like they had to take the monorail. Again, his memory is foggy, but he said he remembers the express train from the TTC going in the other direction while he was on, so maybe they can park at the TTC?

Question in case anyone knows -- if I'm staying at Bay Lake and decided to try for Main Street viewing, can I just walk over? Guessing I can not due to the course going through there. In which case I guess I'm taking the resort loop all the way around? Or is there some kind of check-in at TTC? Just curious if anyone has done this from the MK resort area

No, the security checkpoint on the walkway won’t be open so they won’t let anyone through walking from Contemporary or Grand Floridian. You’d have to take the monorail around to MK. Last year my wife and I stayed at GF and asked about walking to MK and they were very clear the walkway is not open. I went to MK to spectate the half and tried to run back to GF for a shakeout and its literally fenced off until the security checkpoint opens.

No, the security checkpoint on the walkway won’t be open so they won’t let anyone through walking from Contemporary or Grand Floridian. You’d have to take the monorail around to MK. Last year my wife and I stayed at GF and asked about walking to MK and they were very clear the walkway is not open. I went to MK to spectate the half and tried to run back to GF for a shakeout and its literally fenced off until the security checkpoint opens.
Very helpful. Thank you!

Is it possible to view from the Boardwalk area? Park at HS and walk over or get an ADR at Boardwalk?

Does anyone know if the Starbucks on Main Street is open for spectators? We have some family parking at Epcot and then taking the monorail over to MK but would like to get some coffee between MK and watching our group at the finish line. Their goal is to not move the car to avoid having to pay for parking!

If anyone can offer insight into a place to get some good coffee (espresso-based drinks, not drip, and one drinks decaf) during the marathon that would be great! They were thinking of possibly getting a bus from a resort or Ubering to Disney springs but I'm not sure how long that would take/if there is an easier way of getting some good caffeine to keep them awake!

Does anyone know if the Starbucks on Main Street is open for spectators? We have some family parking at Epcot and then taking the monorail over to MK but would like to get some coffee between MK and watching our group at the finish line. Their goal is to not move the car to avoid having to pay for parking!

If anyone can offer insight into a place to get some good coffee (espresso-based drinks, not drip, and one drinks decaf) during the marathon that would be great! They were thinking of possibly getting a bus from a resort or Ubering to Disney springs but I'm not sure how long that would take/if there is an easier way of getting some good caffeine to keep them awake!

Not sure that anything will be open before normal hours, so the MK area may not be a possibility. Contemporary has a coffee place, but whether you can walk over to the resort at that time of the morning is questionable re: security. But if they see you at MK, and then want to head back to the finish line, there may be a possibility that by that time things will have opened and they can make a stop at one of the MK area resort hotels and then continue on back to Epcot.

A lot depends on your corral/start/pace as to timing.

Last edited:

If they’re parking at Epcot, you can usually buy coffee by the start line area. I can’t speak to the quality of it though.

I doubt it, and even so, if the spectator areas are where they usually are, you're on the wrong side of the street.

Not sure that anything will be open before normal hours, so the MK area may not be a possibility. Contemporary has a coffee place, but whether you can walk over to the resort at that time of the morning is questionable re: security. But if they see you at MK, and then want to head back to the finish line, there may be a possibility that by that time things will have opened and they can make a stop at one of the MK area resort hotels and then continue on back to Epcot.

A lot depends on your corral/start/pace as to timing.
There's a Joffrey's in the Contemporary lobby but you won't be able to easily get there from MK (or back). Riding the monorail all the way around would be the only option, and I'm not sure how early it will be open.

If they’re parking at Epcot, you can usually buy coffee by the start line area. I can’t speak to the quality of it though.
The cart is Joffrey's, so it's decent, but limited to what they can make in a truck. There is also a Joffrey window under the monorail ramps outside the entry to Epcot, but not sure what time that opens.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter