Marathon Weekend 2020

I have a question that - while it is technically about my Princess challenge weekend plans - I hope that this group can help me with. Frankly, this thread is more active, more fun and seems to have more people experienced with doing back to back (to back to back) races than the Princess one.

I am registered for the 10K (Saturday) and half (Sunday). This is my first challenge and second half marathon. Yesterday, they announced that there is going to be a Villians After Hours at the MK on that Friday night 9 p.m. to midnight. I've been dying to do a MK after hours event. Am I completely crazy to even consider the AH event? To add to the scenario, we are going to be staying at or near Universal so will need to add commute time. I don't haven't any solid plans so Saturday could be a "go back to the hotel and collapse for most of the day" day.

What do you think?

@DopeyBadger thanks so much! I knew you'd have some wise input! The dates are off - you put 10/21 as the starting date but that was 9 days ago so I guess I will move everything down a week? (so starting next week with the 35%?) I am still recovering (it's only been 3 days LOL) - did a super easy swim yesterday, and a super easy spin on the bike this morning and my legs are gradually feeling a little better.
Also - by peak do you mean my weekly mileage that I was doing at the height of MCM training?

I am registered for the 10K (Saturday) and half (Sunday). This is my first challenge and second half marathon. Yesterday, they announced that there is going to be a Villians After Hours at the MK on that Friday night 9 p.m. to midnight. I've been dying to do a MK after hours event. Am I completely crazy to even consider the AH event? To add to the scenario, we are going to be staying at or near Universal so will need to add commute time. I don't haven't any solid plans so Saturday could be a "go back to the hotel and collapse for most of the day" day.
I wouldn't do it if it were me - you are going to get almost no sleep at all. If you stay til midnight at MK, you won't get back to your hotel room until close to 1 all things considered, and you will be needing to get back up in just a couple of hours. If you then go back and crash and sleep, it could just end up messing up your sleep Saturday night before the half.
BUT I know there are all stars on this thread who have done similar and survived!

@DopeyBadger thanks so much! I knew you'd have some wise input! The dates are off - you put 10/21 as the starting date but that was 9 days ago so I guess I will move everything down a week? (so starting next week with the 35%?) I am still recovering (it's only been 3 days LOL) - did a super easy swim yesterday, and a super easy spin on the bike this morning and my legs are gradually feeling a little better.
Also - by peak do you mean my weekly mileage that I was doing at the height of MCM training?

Good catch, been a long week.

10/28 - 30 min cap only easy with 2/3 total days
11/4 - 40% Peak from MCM (only easy)
11/11 - 55% Peak from MCM (only Easy)
11/18 - 75% Peak from MCM
11/25 - 50% Peak from MCM
12/2 - 80% Peak from MCM
12/9 - 60% Peak from MCM
12/16 - 85% Peak from MCM
12/23 - Taper
12/30 - Taper
1/6 - Race Week

If you want to take more time off then go ahead. I normally take off 14 days from all exercise after my marathon to help with the recovery process. With the short time frame even 7 days isn't terrible either.

Yes, % of peak mileage or duration. Like if you maxed at 50 miles, then a 50% week would be 25 miles. So look for weeks in your MCM plan that were similar to those %s and see what you were doing. But take the intensity down a notch in terms of volume and come back slowly. So if you were doing 10 miles at M Tempo during a 85% week maybe pull that back to 7-8 miles and make up the difference in that run with more easy mileage.

I have a question that - while it is technically about my Princess challenge weekend plans - I hope that this group can help me with. Frankly, this thread is more active, more fun and seems to have more people experienced with doing back to back (to back to back) races than the Princess one.

What do you think?

I say YOLO.

What do you think?
It’s the night before the 10K, so I’d absolutely go for it. Universal really isn’t that far away, so if you leave right at midnight you should be able to get a nap in. Before the half marathon would be a different story.

I wouldn't do it if it were me - you are going to get almost no sleep at all.

That is what the angel on one shoulder is telling me.

I say YOLO.

And the devil on the other shoulder is telling me this.

It’s the night before the 10K, so I’d absolutely go for it. Universal really isn’t that far away, so if you leave right at midnight you should be able to get a nap in. Before the half marathon would be a different story.

Definitely the night before the half, this would be completely off the table!

What do you think?

I'd say go for it if you want to. If you have some down time on Friday earlier in the day, you can always nap to get some rest in and then do the party. You won't get a lot of sleep in between the party and the 10k, but you can crash afterwards.

What do you think?

Well now you have me tempted and mentally adjusting plans 😈

I hadn't seen this announcement yet. hmmmm what to do...

I noticed that Jan. 13 (day after the Marathon) Magic Kingdom has an After Hours event. Does this event impact Happily Ever After for "normal" park guests? The park is scheduled to close at 8 p.m. that day, with After Hours beginning at 8 p.m.

Can someone explain to me how to upgrade from the full to the goofy challenge. Now that I saw the medals at the wine and dine expo I have to have it lol

I know I am in the minority here but I am happy about the change! To be honest I really don't want hummus or fake cheese after a run but I would rather have the hummus for later.

I definitely don't want the hummus after the race. No hummus in a cup can possibly compare to what you can buy on any street corner over here. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter