Marathon Weekend 2020

Hey, Dopey Runners! How do you explain the Dopey Challenge? I am so tired of explaining it.

What kind of reactions do you get when you are talking about the Dopey Challenge?
It's rare that I need to - nobody I know cares, lol! A neighbor asked how many miles I was doing the other day - I replied, "20" and she asked what I was training for. I said, "A 4-day challenge that involves a 5K one day, 10K the next, half-marathon on day 3, and a full marathon on the last day." She responded with, "Wow, that's a lot! Best of luck!" and that was that.

Considering boarding groups are filling up before 8AM you might be out of luck. Your best bet is to go to DHS right from the 5K join a boarding group then go back to your hotel for showering and what not. You have two hours to return for your boarding group.
I had another idea for anyone fast enough and willing to add a bunch of distance: leave EP after mile 2, going out the back entrance. Run to DHS, tap in, join BG, run back and rejoin race. Ditto for the 10K where it goes through the EP resorts. Of course, this assumes WDW will allow one to leave the course and rejoin back there, but if so, it's maybe possible!

They just haven't updated websites.....what I've been told is that all TA pull from a central pool (even Disney Travel) and there are only 10k left,

This TA posted this about 3 hours ago. I can’t vouch for the accuracy, just what they are claiming.

UPDATED AVAILABILITY RUNNERS! Race Bibs are still available for many of the 2020 Run Disney races! Don't miss out...these races often sell out!

2020 DISNEY REGISTRATIONS
Current Availability -

2020 Marathon - 5K (limited), 10K, Goofy & Dopey Challenge
2020 Princess - Half Marathon
2020 Star Wars - ALL races available
2020 Wine & Dine - ALL races available

Requires a minimum 2-night stay at any available Disney Resort!

https://www.cognitoforms.com/Magica...uestmelissa.miller@magicalvacationplanner.com
#disneyworld #rundisney #disney #disneyraces #5K #10K #halfmarathon #challenge #marathon #wineanddine #princess #starwars

They just haven't updated websites.....what I've been told is that all TA pull from a central pool (even Disney Travel) and there are only 10k left,
This TA posted this about 3 hours ago. I can’t vouch for the accuracy, just what they are claiming.

UPDATED AVAILABILITY RUNNERS! Race Bibs are still available for many of the 2020 Run Disney races! Don't miss out...these races often sell out!

2020 DISNEY REGISTRATIONS
Current Availability -

2020 Marathon - 5K (limited), 10K, Goofy & Dopey Challenge
2020 Princess - Half Marathon
2020 Star Wars - ALL races available
2020 Wine & Dine - ALL races available

Requires a minimum 2-night stay at any available Disney Resort!

https://www.cognitoforms.com/Magica...uestmelissa.miller@magicalvacationplanner.com
#disneyworld #rundisney #disney #disneyraces #5K #10K #halfmarathon #challenge #marathon #wineanddine #princess #starwars
Another TA (the one I sent you @jmasgat ) also posted that the only hotels available are Deluxe - in the $450 - $650 range.

Last edited:
I’d like to ride RotR; but if it’s going to require a full day of crazy stress, waiting around and basically not getting to do anything else? I’m good.

I don’t exactly understand the system they’ve got going on right now, I’m just hopeful that I can get into Galaxy’s Edge for Smugglers Run and everything else.

ETA: I’m hopeful that at least some of the insanity has died down by the time Marathon Weekend rolls around but I’m prepared to skip GE if that’s what it comes to.

Last edited:
Considering boarding groups are filling up before 8AM you might be out of luck. Your best bet is to go to DHS right from the 5K join a boarding group then go back to your hotel for showering and what not. You have two hours to return for your boarding group.

Never mind. I somehow got it in my head I’m doing the 5k. My DHS day is Friday after the 10K.

If I do ROTR, great. If not, I’ll live. But the only two hours of standing around I’m doing that day is at Hurricane Hannah’s with a drink in my hand.

I’d like to ride RotR; but if it’s going to require a full day of crazy stress, waiting around and basically not getting to do anything else? I’m good.

I don’t exactly understand the system they’ve got going on right now, I’m just hopeful that I can get into Galaxy’s Edge for Smugglers Run and everything else.

Yeah, same, I think. I really just want to check out the land and I have an ADR for the bar that night so I should be fine.

Yeah, same, I think. I really just want to check out the land and I have an ADR for the bar that night so I should be fine.

We have a Saturday Oga’s reservation. I’m not sure how that affects things, but I’d like to think we will be able to get in to walk around with that reservation.

Never mind. I somehow got it in my head I’m doing the 5k. My DHS day is Friday after the 10K.

If I do ROTR, great. If not, I’ll live. But the only two hours of standing around I’m doing that day is at Hurricane Hannah’s with a drink in my hand.
I am really trying to figure out how to ride this. I could care less if I ride anything else but this is my priority.

I am really trying to figure out how to ride this. I could care less if I ride anything else but this is my priority.

It should be a priority for me, it’s just ... not. No real reason except given one day at DHS, I’m more interested in making sure I hit ToT, TSMM and Muppets 3D. But since I’m traveling solo, my plans can pivot quickly.

Started discussing options with my friend about getting to HS to ride Rise of the Resistance today after the 10k now.

Do I understand it that both of us would have to be in the park in order to secure a boarding time right? May be taking a bus to boardwalk and running over to HS to meet her there after the race.

Started discussing options with my friend about getting to HS to ride Rise of the Resistance today after the 10k now.

Do I understand it that both of us would have to be in the park in order to secure a boarding time right? May be taking a bus to boardwalk and running over to HS to meet her there after the race.
Yes the entire party has to be inside the gates of DHS to enter the boarding group.

:scratchin

Marathon starts at 5am. DHS is around Mile 23. At a 6:49 min/mile that would put me at DHS around 7:36am. Maybe just early enough to grab one of the last BGs for the end of the day (was already planning on DHS Sunday night, and now it's PM Magic Hours too).
You have to tap into the park.

If the course is the same as 2018 through DHS then we run by the entrance (when we are exiting). So would there be anything preventing me from swinging through and tapping in? And then heading back on course?
Well you’re making a lot of assumptions which is never a good thing with disney. And wouldn’t that add time to your BQ chances? Those tap points aren’t always quick....

Well you’re making a lot of assumptions which is never a good thing with disney. And wouldn’t that add time to your BQ chances? Those tap points aren’t always quick....

All very true. I guess I'll have to see how it's going day of. Maybe someone else will give it a try.

Oh you can get in the land no problem with or without a reservation. The boarding groups are specifically for Rise of the Resistance.

Just listened to dis unplugged and heard the process a little better. I guess my hope is that the boarding group system is a little more accessible next month. My DHS schedule doesn’t work for me, specifically, to get into a boarding group at park open. The rest of my party can get there early Saturday morning, but I’ll still be plodding along in the Half Marathon.

I’m not going to worry about it. If I get in, I get in. If not, I’m sure I’ll have a chance in the future.

Just so I'm clear on the RotR process as of right now.

1. DHS opens between 6 and 6:30am. Be in the park when it opens and sign up for a boarding pass right away using the app or go to guest services. Once my boarding group is called I have two hours to get from wherever I'm at to RotR.

I'm guessing this means I either need to take a taxi from my Disney resort to DHS if the buses aren't going to DHS that early or take the bus. My current plan was to hit DHS at rope drop on Wednesday for RotR. I may drop all my Monday and Tuesday fastpasses to attempt this again. If I have a later boarding group, I should consider hitting the expo early so I can be back in DHS for my boarding group.

Aside from the races, RotR is my number one priority for this trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter