Marathon Weekend 2020

We flew to Maine yesterday. It’s super cold and icy and I probably would have injured myself if I tried to run outdoors. I ran my 14 miles on a treadmill today. Pretty sure I deserve a medal for that :rotfl2:

Consider it solid mental training :) I had to do a few 18-20 mile treadmill runs while in Iraq, and it was awful even with an iPad full of episodes to watch.

Good morning, runDisney all-stars! We are 16 flipping days until the start of Marathon Weekend!!

In three short weeks, we will have all gotten up way too early to run through the parks, but for Sundays are for Disney I want to know: what's your favorite time of day to be in the parks and why?

For me, Magic Kingdom at night is an unbeatable, irreplaceable and incredible experience. It feels like magic. The ambiance is unlike anything else. All of the parks look great at night, but there's something special about Magic Kingdom that makes me want to just slowly wander around taking photos and absorbing the atmosphere. The fact that it's less crowded and less hot is just an added bonus.

Even better: Magic Kingdom at night after a fresh rain. The photos are unreal.

Good luck to anyone doing their final long runs and I hope everyone is enjoying a good taper. I can't wait to party with you all next month.

Have a great week, everyone!

I love being in any of the parks at night. Also love the parks at opening, knowing there’s a full day ahead. I loved being in DHS at 6 am in September, as it wasn’t crowded at all and all lit up. And being in MK at 530 am for this year’s half marathon was great. Right when they let us in, Main Street was so quiet and peaceful, the lights and music were all on, the stores were open.

And switching coasts, Disneyland at night, especially during the holidays with the lights on It’s A Small World Holiday and Haunted Mansion Holiday are amazing.

SAFD: I like being the first (or one of the first) in MK before the park opens (ADR). It’s all clean and slowly awakening. I also like Epcot WS and AK Tree at night. All of these experiences have a sense of peace mixed with the Disney excitement.

Anyone else have a bad last long run, and questioned if this whole thing was a terrible idea?

Right there with you. I bagged my 16 miler yesterday after just 3 as I had some discomfort in my left leg. Could have pushed through as it wasn't bad but since were so close I didn't want to jeopardize Dopey just to get a training run checked off. I know it happens so I'm trying to cut myself some slack, taking the extra rest and will see how it feels on next scheduled run Tuesday.

SAFD:

Sort of like asking which of my kids is my favorite....I love the quiet areas of any of the parks right after rope drop. Wandering through World Showcase with the torches lit. Seeing the fireworks over the castle while riding splash mountain. No longer possible at the World, but used to love the delayed opening at Toon Town where Minnie Mouse would give one lucky lid a personal tour of her house.

Other than maybe early afternoon where there seems to be universal toddler breakdowns occurring (and some parents too), not sure there is a time I don't love.

In three short weeks, we will have all gotten up way too early to run through the parks, but for Sundays are for Disney I want to know: what's your favorite time of day to be in the parks and why?
I love the parks either first thing in the morning or at night. I enjoy early entrance for breakfast ressies at Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom, when the park is empty and the streets are freshly power washed.

But, my favorite time of all is the parks all lit up at night. Magic Kingdom’s Main Street is magical! I love the torches around World Showcase, the colors on Spaceship Earth and the fiber optics in the walkways of Epcot’s Future World! I haven’t spent time at Animal Kingdom now that it is open after dark but I remember how magical the Tree of Life looked all lit up for Wine & Dine (back when it was a night race)! Finally, you can’t talk about the magic of WDW at night without mentioning the Osborne Lights! I could stand there and watch the lights dance and joy on people’s faces for hours!

Now...it’s time to hop on my treadmill for my second and final 20 miler...

SATD: Hard to say really but I think Epcot in the dark particularly World Showcase in the dark.

I took my one of my besties with me to WDW this past week. We closed out Epcot with a final ride of FEA for the evening. Even him, not much of a Disney or theme park person, absolutely thought Epcot was gorgeous at night.

Also I may or may have not caused said foodie loving friend to fall in love with Epcot. To say the least I’m glad I discovered the bakery in France last January after missing it for years

I hope not, (knock on wood) this is my last Dopey simulation weekend. Did 4 Thurs, 6 Fri, and 12 today. Planning 24 tomorrow and right now I feel great. That being said I still question the whole idea and wether or not I’m crazy.

So it’s done and my body hates me, but it was a good run. I’m giving my self an early gift - a long soak in the hot tub with a couple Kona Longboards in the snow next to me and also.... TAPER!

Taper, taper, taper...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter