• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Marathon Weekend 2020

I am officially frickin' registered for Goofy!!!!!!!

Glad you’re coming! Looking forward to seeing you there.

So in answer to a previous question.....I wish to run these races with people, enjoying myself, drinking, riding rides and having fun. I have always done DIsney racing solo, but since this is liable to be it or me, I won't the whole experience. (Better late than never).

So @FFigawi will you be my race guru? :)

Of course! I’d be happy to!

I am officially frickin' registered for Goofy!!!!!!!

@rteetz .....let my example make you feel better about registering early and not waiting to try and get a phantom discount.

I will be running for the ChadTough Foundation, which my fellow Michiganders may recognize as the charity started in memory of Chad Carr, who died at age 5 of DIPG--a pediatric brain cancer with a 0% survival rate. As a Michigander and U of M degree holder, it's nice to support a group with some kind of connection and as a mother of 2 healthy adult children, I am glad to be able to give back to treat a most awful disease.

So @DopeyBadger my answer for the spreadsheet.....

RACE -Half
NAME -Maura
DIS'er name -jmasgat
Costume/Clothing -None...okay , let me re-phrase that...no costume
Corral - Hopefully C based on my submitted POT
Pre-Race Meet-up? - (Yes or No) Maybe
Early Bird or Late Arriver - TBD
Front, Middle, or Back of corral -
WHEREVER I NEED TO BE TO RUN WITH AN AWESOME GROUP
Expected Pace - 9:30+

RACE -Full
NAME -
Maura
DIS'er name -jmasgat
Costume/Clothing -Same as above
Corral - Hopefully C based on my submitted POT
Pre-Race Meet-up? - (Yes or No) Maybe
Early Bird or Late Arriver - TBD
Front, Middle, or Back of corral -
WHEREVER I NEED TO BE TO RUN WITH AN AWESOME GROUP
Expected Pace - 9:30+

Also will try to do HH meetup and DATW.

So in answer to a previous question.....I wish to run these races with people, enjoying myself, drinking, riding rides and having fun. I have always done DIsney racing solo, but since this is liable to be it or me, I won't the whole experience. (Better late than never).

So @FFigawi will you be my race guru? :)

Report to the Goof Troop! The C Section is sure to deliver.

Wrapped up a great training cycle. Did 5/5/10/24 this weekend as a solid Dopey Sim. The weather has been great for all three of my 20+ milers. I think each was at least 50 degrees. So, great for Omaha in December.

I'm hoping to finally put faces to some of the names with pre-race meetups, but not sure I'll get there in time.

Here's my info for @DopeyBadger

RACE - 5K
NAME - Joe & Matthew (DS-8yo)
DIS'er Name - wdwjoe13
Costume/Clothing - Nothing Special
Corral - TBA
Pre Race Meet Up - No
Early/Late - Late
Front/Middle/Back - Middle
Expected Pace: 11:00 min/mile for as long as he can go. He's excited about the backstage areas, so we will likely stop a lot for pictures.

RACE - 10K
NAME - Joe
DIS'er Name - wdwjoe13
Corral - TBA
Pre Race Meet Up - Hope to if I make it on time.
Early/Late - Late
Expected Pace: 9:00 min/mile

RACE - Half Marathon
NAME - Joe
DIS'er Name - wdwjoe13
Corral - C
Early/Late - Late
Expected Pace: 9:00 min/mile plus pictures

RACE - Marathon
NAME - Joe
DIS'er Name - wdwjoe13
Corral - C
Early/Late - Late
Expected Pace: 9:00 min/mile

Ok, I've been lurking for quite a while. I'm excited for my first Dopey (and Run Disney event). I lost my passion for running in 2018. I found that passion again at the beginning of 2019 and committed myself to completing this challenge. Running is such an important outlet for me. 5 half marathons completed this year, including 2 PRs last month. I ran in the monsoon that was the Marine Corps Marathon. I've lost nearly 40 pounds since last Christmas. And I just completed a solid Mock Dopey this past weekend. I'm ready to make the trip in 2 weeks!

Here's my info for @DopeyBadger

RACE - 5K
NAME - Chris
DIS'er Name - cdlafl
Costume/Clothing - Run Junkies / Point 2 Gear
Corral - TBD
Pre Race Meet Up - Maybe
Early/Late - Early
Expected Pace: 8:00

RACE - 10K
NAME - Chris
DIS'er Name - cdlafl
Corral - TBD
Pre Race Meet Up - Maybe
Early/Late - Early
Expected Pace: 8:30

RACE - Half Marathon
NAME - Chris
DIS'er Name - cdlafl
Corral - C
Pre Race Meet Up - Maybe
Early/Late - Early
Expected Pace: 9:00

RACE - Marathon
NAME - Chris
DIS'er Name - cdlafl
Corral - C
Pre Race Meet Up - Maybe
Early/Late - Early
Expected Pace: 9:00 (see how long I can hold on)

RACE - 5K
NAME - Jared
DIS'er Name - barcarunner33
Costume/Clothing - Eeyore onesie
Corral - Last, I’m sure
Pre Race Meet Up - No
Early/Late - ?
Front/Middle/Back - ?
Expected Pace: Running with my sister and nephew. No idea how it will go

RACE - 10K
NAME - Jared
Costume/Clothing - clothes
Corral - Last
Pre Race Meet Up - Social anxiety, probably not
Early/Late - ?
Front/Middle/Back - ?
Expected Pace: Slow

RACE - Half Marathon
NAME - Jared
Corral - Hateful H
Pre Race Meet Up - Probably not
Early/Late - ?
Front/Middle/Back - ?
Expected Pace: Slowwwwwwwwwww

RACE - Marathon
NAME - Jared
Corral - H
Pre Race Meet Up - Probably not
Early/Late - ?
Front/Middle/Back - ?
Expected Pace: Please, if there is a merciful God, just allow me to finish upright

My participation has been down because I have been equal parts lazy/terrible and injured, haven’t trained to the level I want, and I’m embarrassed. My flat feet have caught up to me and I have had really bad heel spurs for much of the year but it’s no excuse. I haven’t lived up to any of my goals and this Dopey is going to be a personal disaster. I’m going to have a great vacation with my family and get out there and give it my best shot, but I don’t know what’s going to happen. I’m not in a good headspace about my fitness; added to my social anxiety in the best of times I’m not sure I’d bring much to the celebration that Marathon Weekend should be so I’ll probably avoid any meetups.

I’m going to have a great vacation with my family and get out there and give it my best shot
I think this a great goal for Marathon Weekend. :)
I'm sorry to hear that you are injured and that your training hasn't been where you wanted it to be. Do the best that you can, without further injuring yourself and try to have fun! Know that we are rooting for you as you chase Dopey #7!!!!!!!
If you aren't able to come to any of the meet ups, I hope that you'll come look for us at the beer tent after the marathon. I'll have Oreos!

RACE - 5K / 10K
NAME - Karen
DIS'er name - Princess KP
Costume/Clothing - ??
Corral - ?
Pre-Race Meet-up - will try (see below)
Early Bird or Late Arriver - I always intend to arrive early but am usually late. LOL
Front, Middle, or Back of corral - middle
Expected Pace - ?

RACE - HM
NAME - Karen
Costume/Clothing - ??
Corral - D
Early Bird or Late Arriver - I always intend to arrive early but am usually late
Front, Middle, or Back of corral - middle
Expected Pace - ?

RACE - Marathon
NAME - Karen
Costume/Clothing - ??
Corral - D
Early Bird or Late Arriver - I always intend to arrive early but am usually late.
Front, Middle, or Back of corral - front so I can catch up with the C section
Expected Pace - Party Pace!! party:

Good morning, runDisney all-stars! We are 16 flipping days until the start of Marathon Weekend!!

In three short weeks, we will have all gotten up way too early to run through the parks, but for Sundays are for Disney I want to know: what's your favorite time of day to be in the parks and why?

For me, Magic Kingdom at night is an unbeatable, irreplaceable and incredible experience. It feels like magic. The ambiance is unlike anything else. All of the parks look great at night, but there's something special about Magic Kingdom that makes me want to just slowly wander around taking photos and absorbing the atmosphere. The fact that it's less crowded and less hot is just an added bonus.

Even better: Magic Kingdom at night after a fresh rain. The photos are unreal.

Good luck to anyone doing their final long runs and I hope everyone is enjoying a good taper. I can't wait to party with you all next month.

Have a great week, everyone!

I am behind again... Will try to catch up later. House full of relatives, but it is good!
SAFD: My absolute favorite time in the parks is in Magic Kingdom first thing after rope drop. The air is fresh, not too many people on Main Street yet. You can clearly hear the park music and smell the food from the bakery/Starbucks. You have the whole day in front of you. Such a great feeling, love it!

Happy Holidays to everyone. Whether you celebrate Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, Festivus... Whatever, I hope the day brings you joy, laughter and good memories. And we are just about two weeks away now! So psyched!

Late to posting stuff because "life" keeps happening. Hope I'm doing this right @DopeyBadger Thanks!!!

RACE - 5K
NAME - Sandra
DIS'er name - TiggerTrigger/HouCuseChickie
Costume/Clothing - Cheshire Cat
Corral - ??
Pre-Race Meet-up? -
(Yes or No) maybe
Early Bird or Late Arriver - Early
Front, Middle, or Back of corral - ???
Expected Pace -
Probably Slower than normal for friend

RACE - 10K
NAME - Sandra
Costume/Clothing - Caterpillar
Corral - ??
Pre-Race Meet-up? -
(Yes or No) maybe
Front, Middle, or Back of corral - Front
Expected Pace -
12-13mm

RACE - Half Marathon
NAME - Sandra
Costume/Clothing - Painting the Roses Red
Corral - F
Pre-Race Meet-up? -
(Yes or No) maybe
Front, Middle, or Back of corral - Front
Expected Pace -
12-13mm

If you submitted the 1:12:40 10k before the submission deadline, then it sounds like an error. That should be a solid Corral E. I would recommend emailing them.
You were, of course, absolutely right. It turns out that the race results from the 10k had gotten messed up after I submitted PoT for her. I emailed the director of that race, and he restored her results. I then emailed rD yesterday morning, and had a quick reply back. They saw that the PoT had been submitted at the end of September, and verified everything. They then put her in E, and emailed me back this morning. :-)

We are almost 2 weeks away from the start of the weekend and even though we all know how inaccurate it is this far out, I can't believe nobody has posted a weather forecast yet (at least not one I have seen)!! I checked last year's thread and we were posting forecasts at the beginning of December. Well, here we go from AccuWeather:

Wed 1/8 - 74/47 Mostly Sunny Precip 20%
Thu 1/9 - 73°/50° Partly sunny Precip 25%
Fri 1/10 - 70°/48° Mostly cloudy Precip 25%
Sat 1/11 - 69°/48° Turning cloudy Precip 25%
Sun 1/12 - 70°/45° Partly sunny Precip 20%

Last edited:
I have packing on the brain today. I’m trying to come up with my packing list. What are some items you like to bring to race weekends that I might be forgetting? I’ve got the basics down like clothes, shoes and fuel. Also I’m staying at Pop...should I bring bagels/snacks from home or should I plan on taking an Uber to Walmart my first day?

We are almost 2 weeks away from the start of the weekend and even though we all know how inaccurate it is this far out, I can't believe nobody has posted a weather forecast yet (at least not one I have seen)!! I checked last year's thread and we were posting forecasts at the beginning of December. Well, here we go from AccuWeather:

Thu 1/9 - 73°/50° Partly sunny Precip 25%
Fri 1/10 - 70°/48° Mostly cloudy Precip 25%
Sat 1/11 - 69°/48° Turning cloudy Precip 25%
Sun 1/12 - 70°/45° Partly sunny Precip 20%
You should add a Wednesday night temperature so we know the start temp of the 5k. 😁

I would be really happy if we actually have these temperatures. They sound like great running weather temps!!
And, yes, I know it’s way too early to look at weather - but it’s fun

Almost 2 weeks away from the start of the weekend and...
DW and I made our race nutrition shopping list on Sunday. I put it all aside Monday evening.

Ancillary items already being put in the staging area: TriSlide, BodyGlide, Nip Guards, SpiBelt, sunscreen.

Now if I could just arrange for weather warm enough to wear shorts for a couple of runs to confirm they get along with my SpiBelt. I got a new belt that has 2 pockets, and tested it on several recent runs, but the temperature for them was 16-20.

Finally wrapping up pre-Christmas work...

RACE - 5K
NAME - Mark
DIS'er Name - RunDopey
Costume/Clothing - Tech shirt and Patagonia shorts
Corral - B?
Pre Race Meet Up - Maybe if I can talk my wife into it
Early/Late - Definitely late
Expected Pace: Running with my wife, so probably around 10

RACE - 10K
NAME - Mark
DIS'er Name - RunDopey
Corral - B?
Expected Pace: Same as 5K

RACE - Half Marathon
NAME - Mark
DIS'er Name - RunDopey
Corral - Dropping back to D to join my wife
Expected Pace: Running with my wife, so probably around 11

RACE - Marathon
NAME - Mark
DIS'er Name - RunDopey
Corral - Dropping back to D to join my wife
Early/Late - Late
Expected Pace: Running with my wife, so probably around 11-12

SAFD: I love waling around EPCOT after the park has cleared out after fireworks. It is extra quiet after the firework noise and has a slight smokey smell. SSE still evokes amazement and hope when I see it anytime. Our last few visits we have been staying at EPCOT resorts and taking our time getting to the International GW. It will be interesting to see if it has changed with the Skyliner.

I really like all of the parks at night more than the day. The one exception is Pandora, which I prefer during the day if it is not too crowded. Cannot wait to see SWGE in the day and night. Seeing the castle with the holiday lights brings joy.

You should add a Wednesday night temperature so we know the start temp of the 5k. 😁

I would be really happy if we actually have these temperatures. They sound like great running weather temps!!
And, yes, I know it’s way too early to look at weather - but it’s fun
Yep. I’ll take high 40’s low 50’s to start the races. I perhaps would like the marathon a bit cooler. Maybe low 40’s. Fingers are crossed!!!

I have packing on the brain today. I’m trying to come up with my packing list. What are some items you like to bring to race weekends that I might be forgetting? I’ve got the basics down like clothes, shoes and fuel. Also I’m staying at Pop...should I bring bagels/snacks from home or should I plan on taking an Uber to Walmart my first day?

I used Garden Grocer this past Marathon in January 2019, and it was super easy. In 2016, I took an Uber to a grocery store. It was fine, but it took a couple hours out of my day. Garden Grocer is a little pricier than buying the groceries yourself of course, but you won't have to pay the Uber back and forth and forfeit the time. I am going solo for the Marathon at Pop in a couple weeks and will go the Garden Grocer route again. You can request a delivery prior to your arrival (and Disney will store your perishables in a refrigerator) so that your stuff is there when you arrive. You can even buy beer/alcohol through the service. They hike up the price a bit for the alcohol, but it's still way cheaper than what Disney charges.

I used Garden Grocer this past Marathon in January 2019, and it was super easy. In 2016, I took an Uber to a grocery store. It was fine, but it took a couple hours out of my day. Garden Grocer is a little pricier than buying the groceries yourself of course, but you won't have to pay the Uber back and forth and forfeit the time. I am going solo for the Marathon at Pop in a couple weeks and will go the Garden Grocer route again. You can request a delivery prior to your arrival (and Disney will store your perishables in a refrigerator) so that your stuff is there when you arrive. You can even buy beer/alcohol through the service. They hike up the price a bit for the alcohol, but it's still way cheaper than what Disney charges.
I order from Garden Grocer every visit myself. The case of water alone makes it worthwhile!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter