Marathon Weekend 2021

Has there been any announcement as to a severe limitation on the number of entrants for each Marathon Weekend race due to Covid-19?
The reason I ask is because of the concern of some on the board about the urgency to sign up for the single Marathon, JUST IN CASE!
Typically the marathon doesn't sell out until very late in the year. I remember signing up on December 13th a few years back.
I know that is no longer viable, but still.
Is there really any reason that someone needs to panic when the aren't doing the Dopey, 5K, or 10K?

There was a post a page back with a screenshot from Facebook with someone claiming they had called rD and been informed that rD limited registration for presales and will be limiting them for regular registration in response to Covid-19.

I realize it is multiple degrees of hearsay but it seems to bear out from the experiences on presale day. The last I knew (I don’t have an AP or DVC personally) the Marathon was still available so it is clearly in the least jeopardy of selling out early when general registration opens.

I’m going to register for the Marathon Tuesday because I know it’s the race I want to run this year. I guess it all comes down to risk tolerance what everyone does on Tuesday.

I think presale has been fairly predictive of how quickly things sell out in regular registration in the past. So I would expect everything outside of the Full Marathon to sell out quickly on Tuesday. What is different is that if people miss in the presale they won’t necessarily book a second choice because they can wait for general registration. The Full Marathon may fill up more quickly in general registration if it becomes the last remaining option for everyone.

Call and they’ll send you one within minutes.

Sorry I'm a little slow here, but what is this referring to? I tried to get my wife in for the Dopey, but it sold out before I could finish filling out the form. Should I be calling rD to ask for a special link? Am I reading that correctly, or am I missing something?

Sorry I'm a little slow here, but what is this referring to? I tried to get my wife in for the Dopey, but it sold out before I could finish filling out the form. Should I be calling rD to ask for a special link? Am I reading that correctly, or am I missing something?
This was in response to perfectly Dopey or Goofy people. Some of those people that have ran those challenges every year they have been offered had received emails with a registration link and some didn’t. @rteetz was telling someone that hadn’t received that email, that was perfectly Goofy, to call.
So if your wife is perfectly Dopey (or Goofy), and hasn’t received an email with a registration link, she should call runDisney. If she’s not perfectly Dopey (or Goofy), you’ll have to wait until Tuesday with a lot of us to try again to register. 🙂

Hey everyone - new member here so I thought I’d introduce myself. Signed up for the marathon yesterday. Was undecided going into it. Maybe goofy, maybe dopey...marathon was all that was left so I took it! :-) It will be my first RunDisney event and my first time back racing since 2015. I’ve spent the recent years being pregnant and raising little humans, and supporting my husband in his endurance races. I’m a little nervous about diving straight into the marathon distance and the FL heat but luckily I have a lot of time to train. I’ve been enjoying reading through everyone’s posts and so thankful for the info that’s shared. Hoping I can get a half in before the deadline for POT but around here races have been cancelled all the way into September. Anyone else in the same boat? Looking forward to following everyone’s training and good luck to those of you aiming to register next week!

Welcome!

This was in response to perfectly Dopey or Goofy people. Some of those people that have ran those challenges every year they have been offered had received emails with a registration link and some didn’t. @rteetz was telling someone that hadn’t received that email, that was perfectly Goofy, to call.
So if your wife is perfectly Dopey (or Goofy), and hasn’t received an email with a registration link, she should call runDisney. If she’s not perfectly Dopey (or Goofy), you’ll have to wait until Tuesday with a lot of us to try again to register. 🙂

Thanks for the clarification. This will be her first attempt at Dopey.

Hey everyone - new member here so I thought I’d introduce myself. Signed up for the marathon yesterday. Was undecided going into it. Maybe goofy, maybe dopey...marathon was all that was left so I took it! :-) It will be my first RunDisney event and my first time back racing since 2015. I’ve spent the recent years being pregnant and raising little humans, and supporting my husband in his endurance races. I’m a little nervous about diving straight into the marathon distance and the FL heat but luckily I have a lot of time to train. I’ve been enjoying reading through everyone’s posts and so thankful for the info that’s shared. Hoping I can get a half in before the deadline for POT but around here races have been cancelled all the way into September. Anyone else in the same boat? Looking forward to following everyone’s training and good luck to those of you aiming to register next week!
Welcome to the family! Congratulations on taking the first step back into your running career. Now you are stuck in this addictive cycle with the rest of us.

I am in the same boat as to having races cancelled that I would like to use for a PoT. I typically do a half in September. Unfortunately, it was cancelled this year. Luckily the kind folks on this board pointed out that I could use a PoT from 2020's MW half. I did not use a PoT for this year's race and got stuck back in corral F. There was a lot of weaving around people, but it did not bother me much at all (because it was Disney!)...also ran my best Half yet! A Disney PR!

Also, don't worry about diving into the Marathon distance. There are a lot of helpful folks here that can help support your training. I personally have never raced above 13.1 miles and will hopefully be able to pickup a Dopey bib on Tuesday. If not, I might end up just running the Marathon. You are not alone in your quest...we are all mad here!

This weeks episode of the Disney Insider on Disney+ had a segment on the 2020 Marathon Weekend. They used a lot of footage from the Half Marathon race...maybe some here will be able to recognize some of the runners.

Last edited:
Welcome to the family! Congratulations on taking the first step back into your running career. Now you are stuck in this addictive cycle with the rest of us.

I am in the same boat as to having races cancelled that I would like to use for a PoT. I typically do a half in September. Unfortunately, it was cancelled this year. Luckily the kind folks on this board pointed out that I could use a PoT from 2020's MW half. I did not use a PoT for this year's race and got stuck back in corral F. There was a lot of weaving around people, but it did not bother me much at all (because it was Disney!)...also ran my best Half yet! A Disney PR!

Also, don't worry about diving into the Marathon distance. There are a lot of helpful folks here that can help support your training. I personally have never raced above 13.1 miles and will hopefully be able to pickup a Dopey bib on Tuesday. If not, I might end up just running the Marathon. You are not alone in your quest...we are all mad here!

This weeks episode of the Disney Insider on Disney+ had a segment on the 2020 Marathon Weekend. They used a lot of footage from the Half Marathon race...maybe some here will be able to recognize some of the runners.

I saw that episode of Disney insider and it made me tear up. My first runDisney was supposed to be the Star Wars half marathon this year, so it was a bit painful to watch.

After asking for some advice from Rteetz, I signed up for the full marathon, I guess I'm committed now! Now I'm on the hook for the Wine and Dine half and the Marathon in January. I was also convinced to do the Urban Bourbon half in Louisville in October. I never thought I'd be addicted to running, but here i am!

I really want to try and get a bib but I should probably just save my money.

On another note, what do you guys think about the “color” theme for this year? Have they done anything like this in prior years? I apologize if this has already been discussed. I was checking out the website and noticed the new description about joining “mickey and friends for a colorful weekend and the vibrant hues that represent them.”

Color theme? Wut??? 🤔

"Join Mickey and friends for an extraordinary race weekend that celebrates the vibrant hues that represent them. Don your favorite Disney character-themed attire as you put your endurance through the paces while enjoying amazing entertainment and earning commemorative medals. Dare to test your limits? Try a multi-race challenge for the chance to earn even more medals. No matter your skill level, you can paint your own story along miles of race adventure that is uniquely Disney!"

Things that make you go...hue?

I really want to try and get a bib but I should probably just save my money.

On another note, what do you guys think about the “color” theme for this year? Have they done anything like this in prior years? I apologize if this has already been discussed. I was checking out the website and noticed the new description about joining “mickey and friends for a colorful weekend and the vibrant hues that represent them.”
Color theme? Wut??? 🤔

"Join Mickey and friends for an extraordinary race weekend that celebrates the vibrant hues that represent them. Don your favorite Disney character-themed attire as you put your endurance through the paces while enjoying amazing entertainment and earning commemorative medals. Dare to test your limits? Try a multi-race challenge for the chance to earn even more medals. No matter your skill level, you can paint your own story along miles of race adventure that is uniquely Disney!"

Things that make you go...hue?

I guess there’s only so much you can do with theming when you’re locked into the main characters associated with the race. Sounds like we can rule out pastel or muted shirt colors, though. The only thing left is to play “Where’s Oswald?” and try to guess which classic character gets booted in their latest attempt to mainstream him.

Good morning, runDisney all-stars!

I woke up on Saturday missing that instantly recognizable sound of medals clanging against each other as runners strolled through the parks after the marathon. It got me thinking about how WDW offers so many unique sensory experiences.

For this week’s Sundays are for Disney, what are your favorite distinctly Disney sensory experiences? List one or more for each of the five senses (or four if you’re like me).

Sight: World Showcase lit with torches. Watching the sunrise during the half and full.

Sound: Medals clanging. The “woooOOOAAAAA” sound everyone makes going down Splash Mountain. The rhythm of foot steps in the quiet parts of the races before the sun has come up.

Taste: Dole Whips. Parking lot beers.

Touch: The weight of medals around your neck. The feeling of the wet cooling towels. Feeling like your stomach is in your chest as you drop on TOT.

Have a great week and stay safe, everyone.

For this week’s Sundays are for Disney, what are your favorite distinctly Disney sensory experiences? List one or more for each of the five senses (or four if you’re like me).

Sight: World Showcase lit with torches. Watching the sunrise during the half and full.

Sound: Medals clanging. The “woooOOOAAAAA” sound everyone makes going down Splash Mountain. The rhythm of foot steps in the quiet parts of the races before the sun has come up.

Taste: Dole Whips. Parking lot beers.

Touch: The weight of medals around your neck. The feeling of the wet cooling towels. Feeling like your stomach is in your chest as you drop on TOT.

Have a great week and stay safe, everyone.

Sight: The Welcome arch when driving into WDW. The castle lit up for winter as you make the turn onto Main Street during the half and the full. Spaceship Earth as it comes into view from the monorail.

Sound: The "whoosh" of the fire torches and the sound of runners' footsteps during the first few miles of the marathon course. The blast of the air as the RnR Coaster launches. Two Shots of Rum!

Taste: Anything from Victoria & Albert's, especially the amuse bouche as it sets the stage for 4-5 hours of culinary delight. Parking lot beers. Jalapeno margaritas at La Cava. Omakase at Takumi-Tei. "Cheese" and chips.

Touch: The fingerprint scanner letting me into the park. Hugs from friends I only get to see at race weekend.

Smell: Hot fresh pretzels in Germany. Food & Wine festival pop-up booths.

I guess there’s only so much you can do with theming when you’re locked into the main characters associated with the race. Sounds like we can rule out pastel or muted shirt colors, though. The only thing left is to play “Where’s Oswald?” and try to guess which classic character gets booted in their latest attempt to mainstream him.
I noticed this the other day. I think they are going for a more general disney theme. No mention of Pluto for the 5K, no mention of Oswald, no mention of Donald even. The full is Mickey and Friends when this year it was Mickey and Minnie.

After asking for some advice from Rteetz, I signed up for the full marathon, I guess I'm committed now! Now I'm on the hook for the Wine and Dine half and the Marathon in January. I was also convinced to do the Urban Bourbon half in Louisville in October. I never thought I'd be addicted to running, but here i am!

Welcome to the party! I just wanted the Kessel Run medal. Four years later I've earned that, plus Coast to Coast, Castle to Chateau, my first full marathon and I've done every race weekend except Wine & Dine (signed up for this year - fingers crossed it happens). You are in good company here if you want to be enabled. :D

For this week’s Sundays are for Disney, what are your favorite distinctly Disney sensory experiences?
Sight: The Walt Disney World arch welcoming me on property, Spaceship Earth lit up in pinks and purples (possible marathon weekend theme?), my first glimpse of Main Street and Cinderella’s castle.

Touch: The feel of the faux wood railings in Splash Mountain (and other attractions), the smoothness of the PeopleMover cars, (stealing one from Lee...) the weight of my runDisney medals.

Smell: The smells of popcorn and sweet baking goods pumped out onto Main Street, the water in Pirates of the Caribbean, Rome burning (sounds like I need to order some scented candles!)

Taste: Margaritas in Mexico, cheese empanadas from La Cantina de San Angel, vegetarian totchos from Woody’s Lunchbox, zebra domes at Boma.

Sound: The sounds of each location’s background music (Epcot Future World is one of my favorites!), the screams coming from Tower of Terror, the cheers from CM’s as you run through the theme parks during any runDisney race (but especially the marathon).

SAFD:

Sights - The arch over the road. The lantern-lit entry outside Kidani at AKV at night. The finish line!

Sounds - The monorail drivers honking at runners in that lonely stretch between Epcot and TTC. The sounds of the newbies in the audience at ITTBAB. The boat horns at the Boardwalk.

Smells - The Boardwalk snack stands and bakery. Sunscreen at the park entrances. Bay Lake. The evergreen, oranges and sea smells in Soarin.

Tastes - Avocado margarita from Cava del Tequila. Dole whip. Cheddar cheese soup. Squeeze apple sauce at the rD expo.

Touch - The bats in the queue at HM. The smooth details on the medals.

SAFD:

Sounds - "Please stand clear of the doors...Por favor mantengase alejado de las puertas."
Smells - The popcorn on Main Street...I miss the smell of orange groves in Soarin'
Tastes - Carrot Cake cookie
Sights - The big weenie reveal when exiting the entrance tunnel at Magic Kingdom. It is hard to stop from welling up each time I see the castle. (there's something in my eye)
😢

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter