Marathon Weekend 2022

For this week's SAFD, how did you come to runDisney and what's been your experience with it so far?

I know I'm a week behind, but here is my answer to the 1/24 SAFD...

In 2008 when my daughter was five and son was three, we somehow decided to try a Disney World vacation... although I truly don't remember how we came to this idea (since neither my wife nor I spent more than a few days at Disneyland or WDW in our entire lives). After doing some research, we ended up booking a 1-bedroom at Boardwalk Villas during the week of Columbus Day. Although offsite would have been much less expensive, I decided that, unlike my childhood where I got one day at MK the few times we were driving through Orlando to some other vacation), we were going to experience Disney properly: 1 full week, in the bubble, all four parks, water parks, lunch in the castle, etc. I wanted to do it right. We arrived on Saturday, October 11, 2008, DME'd to Boardwalk Villas, had something to eat on the boardwalk, and tried to get to bed in preparation for a full day at Magic Kingdom.

As it ended up (and I had no idea the layout of resorts/parks at the time as this was my first time ever staying on property), but our ground-floor room looked right out onto the DHS path/canal. The next morning, I woke up with my son, who was a very early riser at the time, and we watched some TV until the others woke up. Once everyone was up and as we are making/eating breakfast, through the translucent curtains as dawn broke, I see a few runners pass by on the path. As a runner, I was thinking how cool that they have a running path here. Then, many other runners start passing by. It quickly dawns on me that this must be a race, so I go open the sliding glass door, and sure enough, there are tons of runners all with bibs on, and there are folks cheering them on. I filed this away in the back of my mind, but it was still many years (probably 5-6 years) and several WDW trips later until I actually searched for running races at Disney. That is when I found the runDisney website; however, it was still a few more years before I actually registered and participated (Star Wars Dark Side in 2016 & 2017).

The funny part is that it wasn't until about a year ago that I finally figured out what race I originally saw run by my room in 2008. The race was called Disney's Race for the Taste 10k that started in WWoS went through DHS and ended at Epcot.

As for my experience so far, I enjoyed the two WDW Star Wars weekends I attended, but they were both solo, and I realized that I really enjoy WDW more when I'm with my family. Since all folks in my family are runners at various levels, I think I will only return to another runDisney race if one (or more) of them join me. The only caveat is that I would like to attend MW at some point, so that I may do solo if nobody else can join.

I know I'm a week behind, but here is my answer to the 1/24 SAFD...

In 2008 when my daughter was five and son was three, we somehow decided to try a Disney World vacation... although I truly don't remember how we came to this idea (since neither my wife nor I spent more than a few days at Disneyland or WDW in our entire lives). After doing some research, we ended up booking a 1-bedroom at Boardwalk Villas during the week of Columbus Day. Although offsite would have been much less expensive, I decided that, unlike my childhood where I got one day at MK the few times we were driving through Orlando to some other vacation), we were going to experience Disney properly: 1 full week, in the bubble, all four parks, water parks, lunch in the castle, etc. I wanted to do it right. We arrived on Saturday, October 11, 2008, DME'd to Boardwalk Villas, had something to eat on the boardwalk, and tried to get to bed in preparation for a full day at Magic Kingdom.

As it ended up (and I had no idea the layout of resorts/parks at the time as this was my first time ever staying on property), but our ground-floor room looked right out onto the DHS path/canal. The next morning, I woke up with my son, who was a very early riser at the time, and we watched some TV until the others woke up. Once everyone was up and as we are making/eating breakfast, through the translucent curtains as dawn broke, I see a few runners pass by on the path. As a runner, I was thinking how cool that they have a running path here. Then, many other runners start passing by. It quickly dawns on me that this must be a race, so I go open the sliding glass door, and sure enough, there are tons of runners all with bibs on, and there are folks cheering them on. I filed this away in the back of my mind, but it was still many years (probably 5-6 years) and several WDW trips later until I actually searched for running races at Disney. That is when I found the runDisney website; however, it was still a few more years before I actually registered and participated (Star Wars Dark Side in 2016 & 2017).

The funny part is that it wasn't until about a year ago that I finally figured out what race I originally saw run by my room in 2008. The race was called Disney's Race for the Taste 10k that started in WWoS went through DHS and ended at Epcot.

As for my experience so far, I enjoyed the two WDW Star Wars weekends I attended, but they were both solo, and I realized that I really enjoy WDW more when I'm with my family. Since all folks in my family are runners at various levels, I think I will only return to another runDisney race if one (or more) of them join me. The only caveat is that I would like to attend MW at some point, so that I may do solo if nobody else can join.
i remember that darkside race in 2016...we had a nice pre half pasta dinner with you and a few other runners... and then i ended up having the flu during the race, and didn't know it, till i got to my room super tired and shivering. had to have a doctor come to my room late at night... definitely thought i was dying. eeek

also i remember you had fast 10k and half times

i remember that darkside race in 2016...we had a nice pre half pasta dinner with you and a few other runners... and then i ended up having the flu during the race, and didn't know it, till i got to my room super tired and shivering. had to have a doctor come to my room late at night... definitely thought i was dying. eeek

also i remember you had fast 10k and half times
Good memory... the pasta dinner at Portobello Country Italian Trattoria was one of my highlights that weekend. I felt so bad for you coming down with the flu, and I still can't believe that you ran the half marathon anyway.

Good memory... the pasta dinner at Portobello Country Italian Trattoria was one of my highlights that weekend. I felt so bad for you coming down with the flu, and I still can't believe that you ran the half marathon anyway.
didn't know i had it till later in the day... i was just tired at start. glad i still ran it cause it was inaugural, but dang what an experience after. lol.

agreed on the dinner... very fun, awesome to meet everyone we only knew online before

For this week's SAFD, who is your favorite Disney character (or characters)? For the sake of this question, we're not going to count Star Wars or MCU characters, but Pixar characters are fair game.
You mean I can't pick Yoda?!? What kind of an SAFD thread is this? I'm filing a protest with management.
Animal - he’s a drummer!
If you've ever heard the Muppets Unpigged where Kermit sings Wild Thing on a ukulele, Animal is not having it and decides to plug in the drums.

SAFD:. I'm going to say Waldorf and Statler. Those old guys crack me up and strive to be better at telling jokes.
I always have to pay my respects to those geniuses at MuppetVision 3-D.
I watch it almost every time I’m sick, and as I get older I find myself enjoying Captain Barbossa a ton. I think Geoffrey Rush seems like he’s having so much fun playing a cursed pirate!
There's a reason why my least favorite POTC movie is my least favorite. Barbossa is great fun. I love that they cast an actor of his caliber to play a chew up the scenery kind of role.
i miss the Cheese!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! please restart the runs
Does that cheese count as a character?

SAFD: Favorite character: Jedi Mickey. (You knew I'd find a way to work Star Wars into this one way or another). My parents took me to Disneyland and to see Star Wars for the first time in the same year. To this day, I still love both and have never stopped loving them.

Princess: Sleeping Beauty. It was my favorite animated film as a child and as I've gotten older, I have come to appreciate the artistic beauty of this film and the themes in a way I did not as a child. Although I suspect I loved the dragon fight sequence because it reminded me of Star Wars. George Lucas has actually cited Disney's Sleeping Beauty as a cinematic influence on Star Wars.

Parks: Chip and Dale. These two are an insane amount of fun together. You never know what mischief they will get into or cause. Around the time that the CGI Alvin and the Chipmunks was released, I asked Chip and Dale when Disney was going to come to its senses and give them a movie since they are much cooler than singing squirrels. Let's just say that their response told me that you have never seen The Matrix until you have seen it reenacted by 5 foot tall chipmunks in Christmas sweaters at Disneyland. I've also seen them torment Cruella De Vil.

I missed the boat on this,, but I'll throw it out in case there are other folks in my area for a future trip to DL!

PAST SAFD:

Name:
Kei
Where I’m From: LA
What I Do: HR
Family: Cat and soon to be a dog
Interests & Hobbies: Console gaming, Reading, Walking/Running, Foodie, Anime and Theme Parks

CURRENT SAFD:
I've always been partial to Tigger. Then Oswald, Duffy, Donald, and Oogie Boogie.

damn it... i miss the Cheese!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! please restart the runs
View attachment 554118

I'll never forget being so hungry after my first marathon, tearing into the box and finding the tortilla chips first. I paused for a millisecond to ponder why rD would give me plain tortilla chips in a snack box before devouring them. It wasn't until later that I uncovered the glorious plastic cheese.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter