• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Marathon Weekend 2024

SAFD: I’m going to echo @camaker and say Sanaa as one I’d like to visit. When at AKL, we usually dine at Jiko because my wife loves their vegan offerings. I’m sure Sanaa has some too now since it’s been a few years from our last Disney trip.

I was the other way, I love Sanaa, and I was afraid that Jiko was going to be a letdown. Thankfully, I can say that both restaurants are excellent, and they both have some very good vegetarian/vegan options.

SAFD: My surprising restaurant is Ale & Compass. Their breakfast is SO good! I almost don't want to say this because I want to keep it a secret, so I can keep booking it easily! 😁

The restaurant I want to try is Topolino's. I've heard so many good things about it, but man, it's so so hard to book!

SAFD: I was having trouble coming up with an answer this week, but then I realized it's because I always focus on the festival booths at Epcot, so I don't actually think about the real restaurants all that often. I just like snacking at Disney!
Aren't the festival booths closed between Christmas and FArts? Like, they're not open during MW?

I really want to try Space 220, regardless of how the food ends up being, it just looks like it would be a fun meal. I just want to ride the elevator into space!
My son and I went to Space 220 this spring. We're both vegetarian and I had heard not so great things about the food, so I just got us a lounge reservation and I think it was the right call. We really just wanted the experience anyway, so the lounge did that without the dinner price tag.

And I love Sanaa! We haven't been in a few years but when the boys were little I'd try to get a reservation around sunset, when the animals were being fed. Then after dinner it would be dark and we'd go outside and use the night vision goggles. I don't know if they still do that or not, though.

Ok, pipe dream restaurant I'd like to try is Victoria & Albert's but that's never going to happen. I've also never eaten at California Grill, so I guess I'll go with that, in the evening, so we could see the fireworks. That would be fun.

The restaurant that surprised me was Flying Fish. We went because my husband loves seafood. I thought I'd probably just end up with a salad or something but they had a tofu dish that was really good. Disney seems to have finally figured out what to do with tofu (for the most part) and I am here for it!

SAFD: Two I want to try (I'm cheating and doing 2) are Skipper's Canteen and Artist's Point.

One that was a pleasant surprise was Cape May's dinner buffet. It was one of our best meals and I wasn't expecting it.

Boma dinner is still hands down my favorite meal on property.

SAFD: I’m excited to try the new Shiki-Sai: Sushi Izakaya in EPCOT! If it’s anything like Tokyo Dining was, I suspect it could become my go-to place.

Pleasant surprises… generally just finding high quality at any theme park restaurant - Tiffins comes to mind, in particular. Our meal there was surprisingly special, thanks to wonderful preparation and presentation coupled with exceptional service.

SAFD:

Ohana is the only restaurant at The Poly we haven't tried. It's always been on my list of places to try, bit invariably gets bumped by something else.

The Grand Floridian Cafe is easily my family's favorite Disney restaurant. It was booked on a whim for our first trip and we always make a point to go back. The menu is varied enough so there's something for everyone, but it's also consistently a very solid meal.

SAFD: This one is tough, so many to choose from.

The Grand Floridian restaurants used to never appeal to me at all, but Citrico’s since the renovation has been my out of nowhere surprise. My family rolls their eyes that I want to go there every trip but it has been such a solid performer both in terms of food and service, plus the pleasing decor/setting, I love it.

I’m putting Takumi-Tei on both the pleasant surprise and want to try list. I had an amazing meal there shortly after it originally opened and then it was closed for so long after the Covid closure it’s been forever since I’ve been there. Hope to find a chance on a trip sometime soon since the reviews seem to continue to be strong.

SAFD: Fortunate enough to be headed to WDW this week for an Epcot After Hours, MNSSHP, and then a park day at HS. Will be hitting a few restaurants I haven’t tried, but have always wanted to visit, along the way. On arrival I’m planning on spending a half day at Disney Springs. Thinking of trying Pizza Ponte or Pepe for lunch. HS day we have a reservation for Roundup Rodeo BBQ. Not expecting great BBQ but hoping the food will be good enough and that the atmosphere is fun. Will also be going to Ohana for breakfast for the first time. Very excited for that as my niece is a huge Stitch fan. Takumi Tei remains the ultimate white whale spot for me. Not in the cards this trip; definitely want to have the right occasion if I ever dine there.

Hard to really say on the pleasant surprise front, since I’m not going places expecting to have poor meals, but I’ll give it a go. I have been to Sebastian’s a few times before and after the pandemic, and have always found it to be fantastic, but I think their current family style offering is one of the best values on property. Le Cellier I was a little prepared to be underwhelmed since the reputation is what it is, but the rib-eye I had there was high quality, prepared perfectly and easily could have fed two people. Probably my biggest pleasant surprise is Frontera Cocina. Originally ate there because I was able to walk up without a reservation. Now it’s my favorite place to stop on a hot day at Disney Springs and grab a couple apps and a cold drink.

SAFD - I echo Space 220, but will also say that I've always wanted to try Cinderella's Royal Table (also just for the experience).

Pleasant surprise, I've got two. My favorite place and one I've always thought was a hidden gem is Columbia Harbor House. No lines, lots of tables, good food (chicken or fish) and at a reasonable price. The one I was pleasantly surprised with was Satu'li Canteen. So great!

SAFD

Want to try: Jaleo (if DS restaurants count.) I have heard several podcasters talk about it, and it’s on the list for us for MW this year.

Surprise: AoA food court/quick service. At least a few years ago, there was this delicious cranberry turkey sandwich, and so many other options, it’s really family friendly.

SAFD:
I tried so many things I wanted to on the last trip… It’s hard to know what’s next.
Still on my list but I am likely to eat somewhere else before I try them:
Nomad Lounge, Flame Tree BBQ, Yorkshire County Fish Shop and Garden Grill

Surprises were Satuli’s Canteen bowl and Storybook at AP

SAFD: I want to try Story Book Dining at Artist Point (mainly for the experience). I also think it would be the perfect way to celebrate after the weekend since you get to meet Dopey!

One surprise is ABC Commissary. I feel like good food options are sometimes scarce in HS, especially in the 2010s and I had always remembered this restaurant as a place for us to grab a quick basic burger or chicken tenders. Ever since they overhauled the menu (I believe post-pandemic they did this?), there are so many yummy and filling options as if they breathed new life into the place.

SAFD: If DS counts I'm pretty excited for the new Indian place opening up, as a Houstonian I'm interested to see what Central FL's take is on Indian food lol. Other than that I only eat outside since covid so I'm not sure where all I can eat. I'll probably finally try that Fish & Chips place in Epcot? Any suggestions?

Also definitely grabbing something from Satu'li Canteen

SAFD: I would definitely like to try Space 2020. We have had a couple of trips to WDW since it opened, but I am never successful in getting a reservation when our window opens and then I forget to keep trying. One of these days I will remember to keep trying until we get there. I do want to try the Skipper Canteen at MK one of these days.

Back in the beginning of BOG, the lunch french dip and onion soup was a big surprise. We had tried dinner there when it first opened and were underwhelmed. We tried lunch and loved it. We used to try to go for lunch every trip after that. But since they changed the format of the restaurant, we haven't been back since.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter