Marathon Weekend 2024

My DW did that during one race 😬. She managed to drop it into a porta-potty. The phone call to Asurion was really awkward:

Them: "So the phone is lost?"
Me: "No, I know exactly where it is, I'm just not getting it. It fell into porta-potty 6224"
Scene: Me last year in the pre-race porta potty in the semi darkness.
I managed to deal with my costume and belt and hat and water bottle and conclude my business in there. I start carefully re-dressing, putting on my running belt, and get my hat, and then “sploosh!”
The sound of a full water bottle going in.
Disappointing, but I was very grateful that was the only thing that dropped in…

Scene: Me last year in the pre-race porta potty in the semi darkness.
I managed to deal with my costume and belt and hat and water bottle and conclude my business in there. I start carefully re-dressing, putting on my running belt, and get my hat, and then “sploosh!”
The sound of a full water bottle going in.
Disappointing, but I was very grateful that was the only thing that dropped in…

So much better that it was a water bottle and not a cell phone.

Maybe I'm just super trusting, but I just leave all that stuff (tutu/water bottle/belt, NOT my phone) outside the porta door when I go in.
That was one of my questions! Thanks 😊
What do people running with tutus do when they use porta potties? Does your tutu have a clip to be able to remove it?

I always run with tight shorts/capris/pants with pockets. For some marathons I have a belt. I flip bib, belt and shirt up. I fold pants over the pockets containing my phone and fuel (kind of closing the pockets), then down.

That was one of my questions! Thanks 😊
What do people running with tutus do when they use porta potties? Does your tutu have a clip to be able to remove it?

I always run with tight shorts/capris/pants with pockets. For some marathons I have a belt. I flip bib, belt and shirt up. I fold pants over the pockets containing my phone and fuel (kind of closing the pockets), then down.
So for TUTUs like a DIY one that's pretty full or a dottie (not sparkle skirts) if it's pre-race I will just leave it all outside the porta. During the races, I pit my tutus in place so they don't ride up/down or twist. And while I could unpin and leave it outside, I don't want to deal with pins when my fingers are sweaty and slightly swollen.

My tip for pinning a tutu in place is to pin it to your SHIRT or your belt, and then tuck your shirt into your capris or whatever. That way if/when you need to make a bathroom stop (real or porta) you can just pull the tutu up as far as you feel like you need to without messing around with pins. If you pinned it to your leggings/shorts then you'd have to undo the pins every time OR pull the tutu down (ew.)

I've used this hack for a while. Although with me it's one side sunscreen, one side A&D ointment (for chafing prevention in a delicate area) Works great!
I’ve done that too, with Vaseline on one side, sunscreen on the other. Saved my lips during a half, when I dropped my lip balm on the way to the start!

Maybe I'm just super trusting, but I just leave all that stuff (tutu/water bottle/belt, NOT my phone) outside the porta door when I go in.
Same - I always have a bunch of stuff with me pre-race: throwaway blanket and/or Mylar, bag full of gels that I don’t want to put in my pockets until I’m done using potties because I’m afraid they’ll fall out, water bottle, costume props… I pile it all outside the potty door, on top of the Mylar.

I'm in awe of everyone who can run in a tutu. I would get so annoyed after one mile.
placement is key. length matters. underlayers matter. I was SUPER nervous I was going to chafe massively and end up bleeding, but after a couple of test runs and some trimming, it was not a big deal at all.

The material also matters. There is super scratchy, cheap tulle, and there's soft floaty tulle that you don't even feel. It's worth the extra cost to get the soft kind!

Now that I have MW bibs and my training is back on track, am I getting a bit obsessed? Nahhhh.
Maybe.

The upper magnet is the one I had on my car for the drive to Fla last year, this year's version is the Goofy.

I have only a narrow strip of magnetic area on my trunklid (the rest is covered by plastic) and I have to have two sections to avoid the emblem in the middle, thus the size and shapes.IMG_8274.jpg

The magnets may be lost on most others on the road, but IYKYK

View attachment 793933

The magnets may be lost on most others on the road, but IYKYK
Haha! My DH has a shirt with the Dopey equation on it that he just wore to WDW last week. Struck up a lot of conversations with the ones in the know, but had a few CM’s say “I don’t get it” to him as we walked by. We chuckled and said “they must be new here!”

SAFD:
Good Morning runDisney All-Stars! Today’s question - A motto in running circles I have often heard is “It’s not if a runner will deal with an injury, but when a runner will deal with an injury”. Is this true for you? Have you had to deal with an injury, how did you deal with the mental side of the injury?

My answer: I have been running injury free for a few years now and have become convinced that run/walk is the secret for me. Unfortunately, it seems that the injury bug has found me. Late summer and now early fall I have been training for MCM and a few weeks ago I noticed some knee stiffness after runs. I kept running and the stiffness post runs became a little painful, then real pain…. So I stopped running and visited my PT, a quick exam and description of my symptoms he shared what I already knew he was going to say; I have runners knee and have to shut it down for two to four weeks. Oh, and I am only seven weeks out from MCM…. I am good with the physical plan, but I suck at the mental game. I look at every runner on the road and wish I was them. I plan out my scenarios and how I might manage to at least finish MCM. Oh, and I waste a lot of energy simply being frustrated. So I suppose I am not good at the mental side at all, but at least I am following my PT’s guidance (even if I am choosing to ignore the fact at 4 weeks I might learn it will be longer). Positives - Dopey is still a realistic objective, I can continue my strength training, walk and this is only a rest and recover injury; at least no surgery or long term recovery.

SAFD:
Good Morning runDisney All-Stars! Today’s question - A motto in running circles I have often heard is “It’s not if a runner will deal with an injury, but when a runner will deal with an injury”. Is this true for you? Have you had to deal with an injury, how did you deal with the mental side of the injury?
Completely! It is taking every ounce of will power I have not to run with my current injury. I keep thinking, well, just one run wouldn't hurt! This mindset of not running on an injury has only set in after actually running on several injuries and getting more hurt. Very true for me at least.

SAFD:
I started running recreationally after 40, I think about 15 years ago. (My RunKeeper history starts in early 2012, but I believe I started a bit before then.) I wasn't very serious, and I would run once or twice a week for a few months, miss a month or two, and repeat. I didn't enter a race until the 2020 DW Star Wars weekend, when I got more serious about training. Of course that one didn't happen, so my first actual race was the 2021 W&D (Challenge + 5k), then the 2022 MW (Dopey). Next I'm planning to do the "Club 71" challenge in January. 🤞

I've never had a running injury. I wonder if it helps that I've always used minimalist/"barefoot" shoes and a ball/mid foot strike stride, but with a sample size of one it could just be luck.

SAFD: I got hit with ITBS when I was training for a half in 2013, and it was one heck of a battle for two years to do anything pain free. I walked the 2014 WDW half since I had signed up and my chiropractor said I wouldn’t do any more damage.

I did three stints at PT, found Barre classes, dry needling, and even tried a cortisone shot which didn’t work. The fact that I could stay active in other areas really helped and every once in a while I’d try a 5k. It wasn’t until the third round of PT where I started dry needling and I finally started making progress. I did the Tinkerbell 10k in 2016 and have been progressing ever since. That’s not to say I haven’t dealt with ITBS pain. I certainly have but after working with my previous coach we addressed my weaknesses and I figured out what I need to do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter