Marathon Weekend 2024

SAFD: this actually happens more often that I should admit lol! Though I usually manage at least 2 rides, not just the one.

Anyway, I have a real-life scenario for each park, but if I can only pick one…

EP. Cosmic Rewind, after lunch at Lotus Blossom.

But MK. TRON. And a Casey’s veggie dog on the Hub grass is a solid second.

And sometimes it’s DHS. Rise. And lunch at Docking Bay.

Occasionally, it’s AK. Safari. And lunch at Y&Y Local Foods.

SAFD:

Although I love Cosmic Rewind, I still think Flight of Passage is the best attraction at Disney so I’d head to Animal Kingdom. Once upon a time I’d have an easy choice on the meal as well, but Satu’li got cheap and replaced the sliced beef with braised beef. I’m sure it’s a perfectly fine pot roast and that I could still find a good meal there, but I’d switch to Tusker House. The green curry shrimp has always been a favorite and as a character meal it builds in a bit more of an “only at Disney” experience.

Another option would be to leave the park and get a Savannah view table at Sanaa for the bread service. Perhaps that wouldn’t technically fit the question but spiritually I think qualifies.

ETA:
IMG_6994.jpeg63363654729__48FDEBE1-7F19-4795-98C8-A74516391F22.jpeg

Current Disney promotional photo of new offering vs. photo of my actual meal of the former. I don’t feel like I’m crazy to feel disappointed by that change.

Last edited:
SAFD: This is an easy one! I'm on my way to the Magic Kingdom to ride Haunted Mansion and then stop in at Columbia Harbour House for a lobster roll and clam chowder. Definitely my must do sequence on any trip to Disney.
Oh my goodness. This was my first thought too! Except the seafood platter instead.
SAFD: I’m heading to AK to hop on the Safari and eat at Satu’li Canteen.
A solid second!

SAFD: I've done this a couple times on departure day! Most of the time it depends on where I'm staying and which park is closest. Often it's MK for the people mover, some egg rolls, and last minute shopping. I've also done HS and a spin on Toy Story Mania and a Cobb Salad from Brown Derby.
Where are the best egg rolls in MK?

SAFD:

I don't know how to pick just one?!
Epcot: Guardians of the Galaxy and a pizza at Via Napoli
or
DHS: Toy Story Mania and Sci Fi for a classic cheeseburger and a Coke in a glow in the dark cup with a glow cube
or
AK: Flight of Passage and Yak & Yeti for the chicken lo mein
or
MK: Peoplemover and, uh, a trip to Beaches & Cream for the french dip with a milkshake.

SAFD: this one is hard for me. For rides I’d want to cheat and say people mover and carrousel of progress, but I don’t really like any of the food in MK. So I’m cheating:
MK, ride carrousel of progress and people mover, then walk over to Contemporary for dinner at California grill with a view of the fireworks.

SAFD:

Although I love Cosmic Rewind, I still think Flight of Passage is the best attraction at Disney so I’d head to Animal Kingdom. Once upon a time I’d have an easy choice on the meal as well, but Satu’li got cheap and replaced the sliced beef with braised beef. I’m sure it’s a perfectly fine pot roast and that I could still find a good meal there, but I’d switch to Tusker House. The green curry shrimp has always been a favorite and as a character meal it builds in a bit more of an “only at Disney” experience.

Another option would be to leave the park and get a Savannah view table at Sanaa for the bread service. Perhaps that wouldn’t technically fit the question but spiritually I think qualifies.

ETA:
View attachment 804032View attachment 804033

Current Disney promotional photo of new offering vs. photo of my actual meal of the former. I don’t feel like I’m crazy to feel disappointed by that change.
That bowl used to be probably my favourite counter service. The on out last trip in September, they switched the beef and it wasn’t nearly as good.
I really hope they go back to the sliced beef.

SAFD: This was a really hard one! I think I would go with AK- Everest and Yak and Yeti Local Foods. But just for fun, in the other parks I would do MK- Small World/fruit and nutella waffle from Sleep Hollow, EP- Remy (or California Soarin' right now)/chocolate mousse from France, HS- Slinky Dog/Cobb salad at Brown Derby :-)

SAFD: An in-person race I was supposed do got rescheduled to this coming weekend, during which time I will be on a running tour of DC, so I opted for the virtual 5K. But I also needed to do my last long race this weekend and decided why not combine them.
I did the 5K and set a new (or at least new for the past 20+ years) PR of 29:39, then did a simulated fuel break, reset the watch, and resumed my run.
No run tomorrow due to middle school football, so I decided to do an easy run this afternoon and it wound up being over 4 miles. I'm feeling pretty good afterwards, so the training is paying off.
My goal was to be down to 200 lb or below by race day. Not quite there, but very close, and happy to pull my belt in another notch this morning. So maybe below 200 by MW time.

As for one food and one ride?
My absolute favorite place to eat at Disney is the Crystal Palace breakfast buffet. I just love breakfast food. I could easily enjoy a few thousand calories there (at least back when the kids were young) and then be good until supper.
So if that locks me into a MK ride, then I'd say Space Mtn. (Haven't had a chance to ride Tron yet).

Otherwise, I'd say Rockin' Roller Coaster and Brown Derby.

After Hours events were just announced for January, and it looks like they don’t start until after Marathon Weekend. 😩
I was hoping there would be one during the 10 days I’m there. The one at HS Wednesday night before the 5k was a lot of fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter