Marathon Weekend 2024

Haven't been on in a while. Happy to catch up on everyone's training.

SAFD: Training has been difficult all year for me. I managed to finish Berlin in September but haven't run farther than a half a couple of weeks ago. Nothing wrong physically thankfully, just can't get my head into it. My goal for MW is to finish which I think will happen. My son is running the 5k, 10k, and half with me (the wife is also running the half) so it will be all fun until I then quickly turn to training for Tokyo o_O

Had a question about photos. I've seen people selling photo passes I assume to connect to their annual pass. Has anyone done that? I'm willing to pay or even better, make a donation, to get race photos.

Had a question about photos. I've seen people selling photo passes I assume to connect to their annual pass. Has anyone done that? I'm willing to pay or even better, make a donation, to get race photos.
I could be mistaken but I think another option is to get a group together, have one person buy photopass, and then the others send their bib #'s so everyone shows up. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think that's how it goes.

It can be done through an AP that added on MM, or with someone who just the purchased a "regular" MM. I would assume that those who run for charity (and run multiple weekends) have APs, because that's really the only way they're going to get money for their charity instead of sinking the $169 cost of the MM. I am setting up a group to share for race/weekend photos, but I'm not running for charity. There are loads of people on social media groups that do race photos for a donation to their charity link.
I could be mistaken but I think another option is to get a group together, have one person buy photopass, and then the others send their bib #'s so everyone shows up. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think that's how it goes.
Yes. That's exactly how it works regardless if it's someone with an AP or not.

I think you can add up to 5 people so if you are solo that leaves 4 more to offer out to people. You don't even have to be friends in MDE if memory serves, you would just need a way to download and send the photos to those 4 people after.

I'm an AP holder and will be adding some friends to mine for MW. I also think, but would need to confirm, that Goofy and Dopey just get one code so they'd only take up 1 of the 5 places.

I also think, but would need to confirm, that Goofy and Dopey just get one code so they'd only take up 1 of the 5 places.

It's 5 bib numbers per race code. So even though the bib numbers don't change for Dopey/Goofy bibs, you still have to put in the code for each race. So for example, last year I ran Dopey, and DH did the 5k and 10k. That means I could grab pics for 3 more people for the 5k and 3 for the 10k, but 4 more people for the half and full respectively.

I'm in full planning mode this morning (check your rental car rates!) and need a little help.

Are we expecting park hours to change for that first week of January? I'm having a brain moment this morning, and I'm not sure if it's still common practice for them to release some generic park hours and then extend them once dates get closer.

As an example, this year everything opens at 9am (830 for EE) and closes at 9pm (except AK, which is 7pm.) But comparing that to the park hours from this past January, HS and AK were opening at 830 and 8am (so 8 or 730am for EE) and AK was staying open until 8pm, and MK until 11pm.

I'm in full planning mode this morning (check your rental car rates!) and need a little help.

Are we expecting park hours to change for that first week of January? I'm having a brain moment this morning, and I'm not sure if it's still common practice for them to release some generic park hours and then extend them once dates get closer.

As an example, this year everything opens at 9am (830 for EE) and closes at 9pm (except AK, which is 7pm.) But comparing that to the park hours from this past January, HS and AK were opening at 830 and 8am (so 8 or 730am for EE) and AK was staying open until 8pm, and MK until 11pm.
I expect them to change. They’ve started updating December hours.

Yeah, I think the hours first posted are their generic "this are usually our minimum" hours. And then they'll expand as they see demand for ADRs and Park Passes.

Strongly recommend RunLab, they’re been working up my legs to try and get things fixed. Started with my feet, then ankles/calves. Now we’re at my glutes which are probably the root of the whole thing. Wish that I’d started coming here to fix my body years ago, it’s slowly getting better (and worse as I move force up the chain to the next weak muscle)
Thanks for the recommendation. I don’t have one near me but I do have access to get a run analysis done. It seems similar so maybe that’s something I can check out in the offseason.

Personally I mostly just deal with it, but I have a few spikey ball type things such as below that I use when it flares up. It’s not a cure but seems to make it feel better. The spikier the better. I also have one that I put in the freezer (it has liquid inside that freezes). YMMV!

The feeling of changing into Oofos provides lots of motivation to finish a run, for me at least.
Ooo I’m going to get the one for the freezer! I read a tip on FB to freeze a can of beans so that’s what I’m working w currently 😂
- Hoka slides always in the house
- Stretch my ankle before my feet hit the ground in the morning
- Calf raises
- Theragun my legs every day
- Ice bottom of foot after runs
I definitely need a dedicated pair of house shoes. I walk barefoot which I think what might have kickstarted the problem. I actually took my theragun to my foot last night and it didn’t make it worse so I’m going to keep doing it to see if it may give me some relief.

Regarding race photos/photopass/MM: I will have room to add people. I have an AP w MM and am going solo so I think that leaves room for four. Anyone can reach out if they want me to add!

Thanks for the recommendation. I don’t have one near me but I do have access to get a run analysis done. It seems similar so maybe that’s something I can check out in the offseason.

Ooo I’m going to get the one for the freezer! I read a tip on FB to freeze a can of beans so that’s what I’m working w currently 😂

I definitely need a dedicated pair of house shoes. I walk barefoot which I think what might have kickstarted the problem. I actually took my theragun to my foot last night and it didn’t make it worse so I’m going to keep doing it to see if it may give me some relief.

Regarding race photos/photopass/MM: I will have room to add people. I have an AP w MM and am going solo so I think that leaves room for four. Anyone can reach out if they want me to add!
When I saw my PT for pf last summer, shoes with arch support were definitely a thing he said to do; shoes all the time, no wandering around barefoot all the time (which I usually do as a SAHM.) I did a *lot* of calf stretching; straight leg calf stretch, and bent-knee calf stretch (to hit my soleus.) My PT's exact words were "you can't stretch your calves too often."

And he had me doing sets of 16 eccentric heel drops on the stairs every other day (sort of a slow-motion reverse calf-raise.)

He also had me get some OTC arch supports (powerstep brand, low or neutral based on my feet)

Give them a call, they may be able to coordinate your run analysis and then do PT virtually, that's what I've been doing. If you have a laptop and a web camera you can do the whole thing remote.

Marathon spectating question, because after running it for 7 straight years, I still can’t recall these details :rotfl:

Traffic HAS to have a way out of the All Star resorts, but does anyone recall just what that way was?! The marathon was taking over Buena Vista in both directions down there, right? So surely All Star traffic must have been routing onto Osceola??

What I’m really getting at is that I’d like to spectate the marathon, but I don’t want to get up at 3am to do it, and I’m staying at an All Star: there must be a way for me to travel from there to HS or EP during the marathon, right?

Marathon spectating question, because after running it for 7 straight years, I still can’t recall these details :rotfl:

Traffic HAS to have a way out of the All Star resorts, but does anyone recall just what that way was?! The marathon was taking over Buena Vista in both directions down there, right? So surely All Star traffic must have been routing onto Osceola??

What I’m really getting at is that I’d like to spectate the marathon, but I don’t want to get up at 3am to do it, and I’m staying at an All Star: there must be a way for me to travel from there to HS or EP during the marathon, right?
Here's the map from last year (Click the FM tab). With the BIG caveat that the route may change, Osceola is open and you could easily get to HS.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1-s5mDiwMv7lqW4nFRDEAFDtBVrd2QpY&usp=sharing

You can drive over to Epcot or HS on Osceola. Alternatively, (assuming a similar course to last year) you could walk north on Buena Vista until you hit the turn around point. It’s 3/4 mile from Sports to Blizzard Beach and there’s sidewalks the entire way.

Because it'll only be appreciated by you all....

2 years ago it was my first race weekend. And it was 2022, the first MW post-covid, so the merch situation was crazy. We managed to get all of the logo pins for the race weekend for all of the stuff we were running (5k and 10k for DH, half/full/goofy for me) and when we got home and we Couldn't.Find.Them.Anywhere. We assumed that we had either accidentally thrown them away in a pile of bags, or DD had thrown them away in her toddler-ness. And then I waited until I found a lot on ebay that wasn't ridiculously priced, and bought that to replace them.

I just found them. In a bag of disney bags, in my basement.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter