Marathon Weekend 2024

SAFD: Add me to the list of Texas runners who are accustomed hot, humid runs. I live in the Dallas area and I trained through the heat of the summer until it finally cooled off about a month ago. I hate cold weather with every fiber of my being (hence moving to Texas) and I actually plan my runs each week this time of year based on when it will be the warmest (For example, moving my run tomorrow morning from 6:00 AM when it will be in the 30s to 6:00 PM when it will be in the 50s).

As far as planning/hoping, I have a few items of cold weather running gear that I will pack if the forecast looks particularly nasty. Ideally for me, I would love race temps in the 50s with highs around 70 during the day. I thought last year was particularly pleasant until it warmed up a bit too much on the day of the marathon. And I will echo everyone who said no rain and/or lightning. I despite running in the rain.

Every race is different, and it's usually up to the race coordinator to determine what they are going to do. The only WDW race I've seen cancelled in recent memory is the 2017 Half during MW. It wasn't for temperatures, but it was because of a thunderstorm crossing through, affecting setup. So it would take a lot for WDW to cancel a race.

Also, something I read last month: Orlando is hosting the US Olympic marathon trials. It will be in February, but gun time is supposed to be at noon. A good number of people in the field have raised objections to a 12:00 pm start, especially with Orlando weather being so unpredictable in winter.
They did change it to 10am, but I don't think there will be much difference.

I know it's tough, but I've been liking the early rD start times more and more. Aside from the marathon, rD races are done before the sun is high in the sky. the sun makes a huge difference, and while it's still quite humid some race mornings, I can deal with the humidity better without having to worry about the sun beating down on me.

They did change it to 10am, but I don't think there will be much difference.

I know it's tough, but I've been liking the early rD start times more and more. Aside from the marathon, rD races are done before the sun is high in the sky. the sun makes a huge difference, and while it's still quite humid some race mornings, I can deal with the humidity better without having to worry about the sun beating down on me.

Makes perfect sense! I thought it was so they could get most of the races done before opening up the parks, in order to minimize the impact the races would have on normal operations. But the side effect of not having to deal with The Sun is a nice side effect.

Hi all! I had a sudden moment of panic today—the POT I submitted for Marathon weekend is from a race in November of 2021. Does that fall within the window? All I can find on the website is “within the last two years.” I realize it’s well past the POT window anyway, not sure why I chose to freak about this now. Advice? Thanks!!

SAFD: Training in Albany, NY means I'm running is some cold weather between now and MW. The last couple of years I drove down so had a large bin full of running gear to cover any possible weather situation. I'm flying this year so need to be a bit more judicious in what I bring. I prefer cooler but my personal best marathon time was from 2022 when it was projected (and was) pretty hot, hot enough they cut the course short at some point. I went out faster than normal with the goal of getting as far as possible before the sun came up. Turned out to be a good strategy for me. This year I am possibly looking at a personal worst and going to lean into that making sure to ride Everest and enjoy every moment.

I searched this thread and didn’t see any convo on this, but related to weather and cancelation policies: does anyone think the Twin Cities cancelation for heat could have repercussions for other races? Not trying to make a judgement on the decision either way, but weren’t those conditions not far off from a warm Disney run (or other southern climate race)? Has a precedent been set, or is the assumption that more runners are already acclimated in an area used to those temps… I know other races around the country have been canceled for heat (including the 2020 WDW course shortening) but this one seemed higher profile?
I’m friends with someone who’s friends with someone who was on the inside of rD decision-making, so I’ve heard some things 3rd-hand about the decision-making processes, both in theory and in real events. Previous race direction at WDW relied on the Wet Bulb calculation to make heat decisions - there was definitely a cut-off point at which a race would be shortened or canceled altogether, but I do not know what that number was, or if current race direction uses the same methodology. We’ve seen, too, that rD will postpone, hasten, shorten, or cancel a race due to lightning and/or high winds/tornadic potential, so they‘ve always had a plan for that, too

As a Floridian of 30+ years, I think we’ll see more and more races down here (as well as elsewhere) canceled/shortened/postponed/etc. in the future due to extreme weather, simply because weather is becoming more and more extreme and safety is a critical component of holding a race. I do think precedent was set by rD when they offered refunds for the canceled 2017 half, and just about solidified when they offered refunds for the COVID-canceled races. It’s not impossible for them to go back to “NO REFUNDS, PERIOD!!!” But less likely, maybe.

Hi all! I had a sudden moment of panic today—the POT I submitted for Marathon weekend is from a race in November of 2021. Does that fall within the window? All I can find on the website is “within the last two years.” I realize it’s well past the POT window anyway, not sure why I chose to freak about this now. Advice? Thanks!!
1701117700418.png

SAFD: As someone who currently lives in Northern Ontario, and in Winnipeg beforehand, I'll take as cold as we can get. I packed a whole suitcase of running clothes, and ordered additional throw away clothes, blankets, hand warmers, and gloves to be delivered to our room. I actually ended up leaving a bunch of it behind at the hotel, since we didn't have room in the suitcase to bring it home. We're getting an owner's locker starting this trip, so any leftover items can be stored in there for the following race weekend.

Does anyone else have systemic issues trying to log into their RunDisney account? I still need to sign my waiver for MW so tried to sign in through Chrome this afternoon. It initially told me my account was locked and sent me a code for access. After putting in the code, it said I had been logged in, but wouldn't proceed past that message page. Trying again got me a message that I couldn't be logged in right now. Switching to Edge, I first got a message that the system was broken and I should try again later. Trying again later, I got a message saying I wasn't eligible to log in to the system at all. I'm getting that message on Chrome now, too. I guess I'll try Safari when I get home, but this Disney IT ineptitude is getting old.

Does anyone else have systemic issues trying to log into their RunDisney account? I still need to sign my waiver for MW so tried to sign in through Chrome this afternoon. It initially told me my account was locked and sent me a code for access. After putting in the code, it said I had been logged in, but wouldn't proceed past that message page. Trying again got me a message that I couldn't be logged in right now. Switching to Edge, I first got a message that the system was broken and I should try again later. Trying again later, I got a message saying I wasn't eligible to log in to the system at all. I'm getting that message on Chrome now, too. I guess I'll try Safari when I get home, but this Disney IT ineptitude is getting old.
I have not had any issues signing in from my phone (safari), just now and a few days ago.

Have you tried signing in to the Disney World website? I had this issue briefly last week, but signing it to another website seems to have done the trick

I'm thinking of getting a massage after the marathon. The question is, should I schedule it for the Sunday or am I better off waiting until Monday or Tuesday? I've never had a massage so soon after a race.
Additional information in case it impacts your decision - It'll be a in room massage. On Sunday, we'll be in a BLT 1 bedroom. Monday may not work since we're changing rooms, so we'll be homeless until 4pm. Then we'll be in a BRV studio, so less room.
What would you do?

I will say, going on a Disney trip in January is a pain, since you need to pack for all the seasons. And when you're coming from the cold, you feel cheated when you show up and it's cold down there as well, since it's Florida, and therefore always hot*

*I know that's not true, but that's the general mentality from people in Canada who have not experienced Orlando cold

I'm thinking of getting a massage after the marathon. The question is, should I schedule it for the Sunday or am I better off waiting until Monday or Tuesday?

Sunday is too soon for my muscles, I find walking around a lot the most helpful. I have a massage booked for Monday with hot tub time before. Does it need to be in-room? A spa seems like a great place to spend some homeless time.

I'm thinking of getting a massage after the marathon. The question is, should I schedule it for the Sunday or am I better off waiting until Monday or Tuesday? I've never had a massage so soon after a race.
Additional information in case it impacts your decision - It'll be a in room massage. On Sunday, we'll be in a BLT 1 bedroom. Monday may not work since we're changing rooms, so we'll be homeless until 4pm. Then we'll be in a BRV studio, so less room.
What would you do?
They used to have tents set up near the finish, usually with students and instructors there doing the massages. So the ones I've gotten have been right after the event. I remember at the time saying that I would tell them everything and that the CIA had jobs for them, but I felt much better afterwards. So I'd go for Sunday afternoon.
I couldn't believe how much my shoulders hurt, and they explained that it was due to holding my arms in running position for 6 hours. I now make sure to extend my arms downward and shake them out periodically, and haven't had such shoulder pain in recent races.
YMMV

DATW is an annual 11am start in Mexico (no Canada-starting heathens in here!). We keep this board up to date on where we are, so feel free to hop on over and join us in progress!
Okay! I'll have to figure out what I'm going to do! I don't want to be three hours behind 😂
What would you do?
I am also considering an in-room massage and am switching rooms Monday. I'm scheduling for Tuesday.
Does it need to be in-room? A spa seems like a great place to spend some homeless time.
The spas are much more $$$ for less time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter