Marathon Weekend 2024

Sounds like they shouldn't have a problem getting to the finish line from CSR. Looks like even if they wanted to watch me run by CSR and then head to the finish line they should be okay.
I just want to note that the race course is slightly different -exiting BB down to Osceola, so things could be a little different leaving CSR. I would guess that it should still not be too big of an issue.

If you're flying in and renting a car at MCO, look into the Visitor Toll Pass. Most of the roads/quickest routes to and from MCO are toll roads. We use it every trip, and it only takes about an extra 5min to walk over to A terminal to grab it and then get back over to B side (our flights and therefore luggage are usually in B terminal.) DH grabs our bags while I'm getting the toll pass and then meets me at the rental car counter. And then you just drop the toll pass in what looks like a mailbox when you go back to MCO to fly home.

For anyone who hasn't used VTP:
You need to download the app, and make a "reservation" for when you will pick it up. The hang tags are in what looks like a big vending machine in A terminal, on the same floor as the rental car desks. Sometimes there is an employee there if you need assistance. You should pick a time that you will pick your tag up BEFORE. So as an example, our flight lands at 6:44, and I have a 7:30 pick-up in the app, and if we get delayed, I can edit the pickup time. Apparently if you are "late" for your pickup time, you have to make a whole new "reservation." Once you get to the machine, you scan the QR code, and it drops a hang tag for the mirror of your rental car. You link the license plate to your hang-tag in the app before exiting the garage (plate number and state.)

They charge a $10 deposit to start, and then deduct your actual tolls from that $10, and any tolls past that $10. If you don't return the hang-tag, there's a $10 no-return fee. You're able to just drive directly through all of the sunpass toll locations and it's great and cheaper than what the rental car companies try to charge you. Sometimes it takes about a month for them to refund any difference between the tolls and the deposit, but in the end, you only pay for the tolls and nothing extra.
I have used this a few times also. I also wanted to share that one time the toll road did not pick up the pass, so I got a fine/letter with toll charges in the mail. Since I had put the license plate in the app, I sent them an email, and they refunded me or may have even paid it. So, definitely don’t forget to put your tag number in the app!

If you're flying in and renting a car at MCO, look into the Visitor Toll Pass. Most of the roads/quickest routes to and from MCO are toll roads. We use it every trip, and it only takes about an extra 5min to walk over to A terminal to grab it and then get back over to B side (our flights and therefore luggage are usually in B terminal.) DH grabs our bags while I'm getting the toll pass and then meets me at the rental car counter. And then you just drop the toll pass in what looks like a mailbox when you go back to MCO to fly home.

For anyone who hasn't used VTP:
You need to download the app, and make a "reservation" for when you will pick it up. The hang tags are in what looks like a big vending machine in A terminal, on the same floor as the rental car desks. Sometimes there is an employee there if you need assistance. You should pick a time that you will pick your tag up BEFORE. So as an example, our flight lands at 6:44, and I have a 7:30 pick-up in the app, and if we get delayed, I can edit the pickup time. Apparently if you are "late" for your pickup time, you have to make a whole new "reservation." Once you get to the machine, you scan the QR code, and it drops a hang tag for the mirror of your rental car. You link the license plate to your hang-tag in the app before exiting the garage (plate number and state.)

They charge a $10 deposit to start, and then deduct your actual tolls from that $10, and any tolls past that $10. If you don't return the hang-tag, there's a $10 no-return fee. You're able to just drive directly through all of the sunpass toll locations and it's great and cheaper than what the rental car companies try to charge you. Sometimes it takes about a month for them to refund any difference between the tolls and the deposit, but in the end, you only pay for the tolls and nothing extra.
Interesting. I rent through National Emerald Club and never have had to pick up a toll pass. We go through the toll roads and the tolls are just billed to the car rental. With Emeral Club, we get our bags, go straight to the car and we are out the garage. It usually takes longer deciding which car we want than actually checking out of the rental car garage.

Last edited:
From National's website"

Why should I useTollPass™?

There is no need to stop and pay with cash and no device is needed. Some roads or toll stations in the coverage area are "electronic payment only" and this may be the only way to pay your toll.

How do I useTollPass™?

Simply drive on the toll roads in the coverage area. A picture of the license plate will be captured at the toll plaza and payment for your toll will be made electronically. Your use of these lanes will automatically enroll you in our TollPass Service.

How do I pay for this service?

The debit or credit card on file with your rental will be charged for the following items:

TollPass Convenience Charge
$3.95 - $5.35 per usage day not to exceed $26.75 per rental period. Charges are in currency of rental location, not toll location. There is no TollPass Convenience Charge on rental days that you don't use a toll road.

Toll Charges
Actual toll charges* incurred during your rental period.

The TollPass Convenience Charge and actual toll charges* will be billed to your debit or credit card on file with your Rental Agreement once the toll data is received from the toll authority, within approximately 4-6 weeks. Renters who don't have a debit or credit card on file will receive a paper invoice for all toll-related charges at the address listed on their Rental Agreement.

Interesting. I rent through National Emerald Club and never have had to pick up a toll pass. We go through the toll roads and the tolls are just billed to the car rental. With Emeral Club, we get our bags, go straight to the car and we are out the garage. It usually takes longer deciding which car we want than actually checking out of the rental car garage.
It’s generally cheaper to use the Visitor Toll Pass than a rental car’s toll pass since you don’t pay any additional fees to the rental company. However, I really don’t know every rental car’s toll pass system - so maybe you’re not paying the extra fees with the National Emerald Club - which would definitely make it faster and more convenient to use.

Not gonna lie though, @Bree left me a little shook with the thought of sitting in someone else’s sweat post race….
I am sorry. I add a hotel hand towel to sit on in my gear check bag if that helps.

That being said….lets not talk about the ride seats after runners go on them. I’m still mortified by the puddle I left on TOT.
Teacups (and I think the Carousel?) were running last year, but I don't know that they were allowing riders on them? I wouldn't count on anything being open before park hours. And with AK falling sooner in the course this year, that may mean fewer people get on EE there.
I’ve never seen rides open during a half, but here we are on the teacups in January. The carousel was operating, but didn’t let runners on until we were long gone.

1703178069107.jpeg
Thanks for all the input--I read each reply carefully and then thought through all the details. Decision made and I thought I'd share it here in case any other mostly lurker would find it helpful. We're going to stay at the Drury the whole race time, then move to the Contemporary for our two vacation days after. I mapped the drive and it looks like it's really not hard to do (it says there are tolls). We will practice the day before! The reviews on the Drury are stellar and I love the idea of the extra space, mini-kitchen, great view, and access to Disney Springs when we're not hitting the parks. Between an iron and a microwave, I can make everything I want! The saved $$ will go towards staying on a monorail resort for the last couple of days of recovery :crutches:

Thank you again all!
Zero tolls from Drury to Epcot. This is the route to get you there. It’s a straight shot until you turn right onto World Drive. There will be lots of other runners going in the same direction 👍 Once you get onto World Drive the exit for Epcot is on your right.

1703178448571.jpeg

In previous years, there was a Google Maps version of all of the routes (which could be downloaded as a KMZ data file). Am I just overlooking it this year, or is it really missing?

From National's website"

Why should I useTollPass™?

There is no need to stop and pay with cash and no device is needed. Some roads or toll stations in the coverage area are "electronic payment only" and this may be the only way to pay your toll.

How do I useTollPass™?

Simply drive on the toll roads in the coverage area. A picture of the license plate will be captured at the toll plaza and payment for your toll will be made electronically. Your use of these lanes will automatically enroll you in our TollPass Service.

How do I pay for this service?

The debit or credit card on file with your rental will be charged for the following items:

TollPass Convenience Charge
$3.95 - $5.35 per usage day not to exceed $26.75 per rental period. Charges are in currency of rental location, not toll location. There is no TollPass Convenience Charge on rental days that you don't use a toll road.

Toll Charges
Actual toll charges* incurred during your rental period.

The TollPass Convenience Charge and actual toll charges* will be billed to your debit or credit card on file with your Rental Agreement once the toll data is received from the toll authority, within approximately 4-6 weeks. Renters who don't have a debit or credit card on file will receive a paper invoice for all toll-related charges at the address listed on their Rental Agreement.
Right. So unless you have status that exempts you from the daily fee (if that exists), you're going to pay an additional 3.95-5.35 for each day that you are on a toll road. So at a minimum you're going to pay for the day you drive from the airport and the day you drive back to the airport (7.90-10.70) and if you drive around the area for anything else, you might have additional tolls (and daily usage fees.) I can get off the plane, split from DH, walk to A terminal and get the hang tag, and be back to B terminal luggage usually before they start showing up. If you don't have to switch terminals to get the tag, this is a super easy decision IMO.

With Budget, if you use their built-in service, it's $4/day whether you go on any toll roads, starting when you enter your first toll road, with a maximum fee of $14.75.

Hertz's service is $10/day you use tolls, and charges you the highest toll.

Alamo is the same policy as National.
It’s generally cheaper to use the Visitor Toll Pass than a rental car’s toll pass since you don’t pay any additional fees to the rental company. However, I really don’t know every rental car’s toll pass system - so maybe you’re not paying the extra fees with the National Emerald Club - which would definitely make it faster and more convenient to use.
Yes. VTP only charges the tolls, and there's no daily fee. But if there's some sort of status where you don't have to pay that fee, that would definitely be more convenient.

If you live in an EZ-Pass state and have one you can just bring yours with you. That is what I do. There was a time where the last EZ-Pass exit was on the west east side of property and if you went to the last WDW exit on 417 it was SunPass only but I believe that was corrected over the past few years. When we stayed at the Gaylord and got off over near Celebration we were good with the EZ-Pass.

In previous years, there was a Google Maps version of all of the routes (which could be downloaded as a KMZ data file). Am I just overlooking it this year, or is it really missing?

I don't recall every seeing one released by Disney but if you poke around Garmin and/or Strava you will find some:

1703185753295.png

I looked at this one for the half:

1703185819057.png

and it looks accurate.

Last edited:

1703185819057.png
Why does it already say 13.48 mi? I understand that as runners, we don't follow all tangents 100%. But how would Garmin know that already?

Why does it already say 13.48 mi? I understand that as runners, we don't follow all tangents 100%. But how would Garmin know that already?

When you build a route in Garmin and either follow roads or use popularity routing it doesn't really stick you to tangents. Unless someone ran or biked the route sticking to the tangents (and having a device sensitive enough never to drift) and then saved that track as opposed to mapping it you'll never see them exact. I'm sure there are commercial devices that accurate, GPS is used to farm with very accurate tolerances, but even the best watch won't have that level of accuracy. At least I don't think so.

Everyone here is discussing bus vs. car, but you all are ignoring the best way to travel to and from the marathon.

View attachment 819469
This will be my first race at a monorail resort, and I'm definitely looking forward to it. I'm doing the dreaded split stay, with the 5K and 10K at the Swan Reserve moving to the Contemporary for the Half and Full.

When you build a route in Garmin and either follow roads or use popularity routing it doesn't really stick you to tangents. Unless someone ran or biked the route sticking to the tangents (and having a device sensitive enough never to drift) and then saved that track as opposed to mapping it you'll never see them exact. I'm sure there are commercial devices that accurate, GPS is used to farm with very accurate tolerances, but even the best watch won't have that level of accuracy. At least I don't think so.

Interesting! Thanks!

If you live in an EZ-Pass state and have one you can just bring yours with you. That is what I do. There was a time where the last EZ-Pass exit was on the west east side of property and if you went to the last WDW exit on 417 it was SunPass only but I believe that was corrected over the past few years. When we stayed at the Gaylord and got off over near Celebration we were good with the EZ-Pass.

I don't recall every seeing one released by Disney but if you poke around Garmin and/or Strava you will find some:

View attachment 819465

View attachment 819466

and it looks accurate.
Thanks for the link!

Previously, I have been able to download them directly from the runDisney pages for the 4 events I've done (all after the pandemic pause).

Previously, I have been able to download them directly from the runDisney pages for the 4 events I've done (all after the pandemic pause).

Yeah, I’ve been looking for it too but can’t seem to immediately find one? I usually post the link on a thread on the Resorts Board because we usually get many questions on road closures.

That said, the (I think new?) road closure maps that are posted under each race on the event guide seem to be well done with plenty of detail and some may find easier than poking around a Google Map. If I do find a Google Map link like in the past I’ll let you know.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter