Marathon Weekend 2024

SAFD: TOUCH NOTHING!!!!!!

Okay, I’m onboard for an overhaul of the final scene, but they’d have to go waaaaay over the top futuristic. Like, Horizons-level, family’s now living on a colony on mars and communicating with Grandma and Uncle Orville back on Earth level of futurism.

CoP, HoP, and Tiki Room are about the last vestiges of nostalgic Old Disney World left and they bring my aging self a lot of joy. I still think it’s cool as heck that the theater rotates!

SAFD: I grew up going to DL so America Sings is what I had always known in that rotating theater. I still remember the soundtrack!
I think it would be so fun if they rotated between CoP and America Sings, maybe every 6 months or so - I know it's not realistic, but that would bring back all the nostalgia for me. Since they used the original DL animatronics from America Sings to populate Splash Mountain, and since they are renovating Splash, maybe they could recreate America Sings at WDW!
As for CoP - I love it, and I love that Walt worked on it for the Worlds Fair, but it has always bothered me that they jump about two decades-ish between scenes until the last scene, which is a massive jump of many decades. So, if they could somehow make the jumps in time more even, ending in the present day, I would like that.

SAFD - Not going to lie - I ride Carousel of Progress to take a nap. The air conditioning, the monotone voice, the rotation- it is a 20-minute snoozefest for me in the middle of a hard park day.

I like the message and the song, but I think it could use an update. But again, I'd watch it once and then use it as my nap spot. 😂

I do this with Muppets in DHS and occasionally with a show in Epcot (the America one and the France one come to mind). 😂 I don't do it on trips with my kids though- we actually go back to the room to swim and nap.

SAFD: I love CoP....with its history, it's mild sexism, its final scene that is so old it is almost coming back around (Metaverse? Smart Home devices?). But as much as I love it, it pains me that most people only seem to like it because it's an "an air-conditioned place to have a quick nap". That is NOT what any Disney attraction should be.

I don't have a solution--I would say update it, but I suspect that people have moved beyond this type of folksy, historical, Disney-origin ride.

I mean, if I need a nap I either go back to my hotel room and genuinely sleep or I half doze in the hotel pool, but that's just me. 🤷‍♀️

I've also slumbered in a corner of the Morocco pavilion - that was either due to the marathon or being halfway around the world by then.

I have fallen asleep more than once in the Haunted Mansion, especially when the ride stops for a bit.

Last edited:
For those interested. WDW Radio (podcast) is now doing one show a week and then revisiting an older show. This past week it was a show from like 2012 and focused on Carousel of Progress. Very interesting, explored the origin of the attraction and the challenges it faces when it tries to embrace the future in the last scene. It was a pretty good listen!

I had to watch a video of CoP to be sure I was thinking of the right attraction. Now I am so confused, is the dog also in Spaceship Earth or American Adventure? Or maybe I saw some of CoP the time we rode People Mover. Anyway, I have no opinion on the matter. Some of these rides I only remember from my one visit the 80’s and we skipped them with the kids, or did we?

I had to watch a video of CoP to be sure I was thinking of the right attraction. Now I am so confused, is the dog also in Spaceship Earth or American Adventure? Or maybe I saw some of CoP the time we rode People Mover. Anyway, I have no opinion on the matter. Some of these rides I only remember from my one visit the 80’s and we skipped them with the kids, or did we?
I believe you're thinking of Living with the Land in EPCOT. They use the same dog animatronic during the farm scene. Also during Pirates of the Carribean.

Hello folks! I'm a couple weeks behind, mainly because I took a solo trip to Disneyland last week (my first time ever!) and I am finally catching up on this thread.

SAFD (food): I tend to have a very sensitive stomach when I travel, so I was very mindful of what I was eating leading up to the half and full during MW. I tried to stick to high-carb, high-protein foods with low fat content. My biggest meal for any race is lunch the day before, so I really loaded up on carbs with my favorite (and potentially new tradition) meal being a pizza and the bread appetizer at Via Napoli on Saturday after the half. Another great meal was Teppan Edo for lunch on Thursday. Once the full was over, all bets were off and I ate and drank everything I could get my hands on. Like @GADisneyDad14, I tend to want to drink the fun cocktails and such while I'm at WDW, so scaling back on Friday and Saturday was a bit of a struggle. I booked my stay this year to leave on the Tuesday after the full, so I can DATW on Monday and eat all the terrible things.

SAFD (CoP): I only recently discovered this ride a couple of years ago after watching a behind-the-scenes thing on Disney+ about it. I somehow just walked right past it on several trips and never rode it. The song is catchy and it's cute, but I personally would love to see an updated attraction with more Disney IP (I realize the whole IP thing is polarizing for Disney parks, but my favorite part of visiting is how the movies and shows are integrated into the attractions). Don't hate me!

SAFD: I've only done CoP once. I can't convince my family to ever do it again. I'd love to see it updated. Related, on our recent trip we did Country Bear Jamboree for the first time. Couldn't believe some of the lyrics! We laughed so much. It's hilarious that it still exists.

I have fallen asleep more than once in the Haunted Mansion, especially when the ride stops for a bit.
I sense a potential future SAFD question... Which attractions have you fallen asleep on? ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter