Marathon Weekend 2024

Having missed Dopey this year due to the registration madness, I'm tentatively planning on coming back in 2024 for Dopey again. Got to use up those DVC points somehow . . .

Speaking of registration, official RD numbers are showing ~12K finishers for the full in 2023, which seems like a much smaller number than in years past and would explain why registration filled so fast. The marathon has had as many as 20K+ finishers in the past (2018, for example), but was "sold out" this year with only 12K finishers. If they've handled 20K runners before, why are numbers so limited these days? Does RD still have COVID concerns, or is it something else? It'll be interesting to see what happens with registration this year. It's very curious.

I was surprised by the low finisher number too. I’m guessing it is a combination of things. I know a few years back they did say they wanted to reduce the number to help with the runner experience, in an attempt to reduce course congestion, since they are always some tight sections on the course. Also, think it is a matter of resources. Another thread mentioned a volunteer shortage (thanks in part to reduced volunteer perks), so they just don’t want to spend as much to accommodate more runners. Finally, I think they also just want to minimize disruption to roads/park operations.

That being said, I figured they would still be somewhere in the mid to high teens for participants. Will be interesting to see what it looks like next year.

I was surprised by the low finisher number too. I’m guessing it is a combination of things. I know a few years back they did say they wanted to reduce the number to help with the runner experience, in an attempt to reduce course congestion, since they are always some tight sections on the course. Also, think it is a matter of resources. Another thread mentioned a volunteer shortage (thanks in part to reduced volunteer perks), so they just don’t want to spend as much to accommodate more runners. Finally, I think they also just want to minimize disruption to roads/park operations.

That being said, I figured they would still be somewhere in the mid to high teens for participants. Will be interesting to see what it looks like next year.
That all makes sense. It's just hard to imagine Disney turning down runners looking to come spend money! 2024 registration will definitely be interesting!

Having missed Dopey this year due to the registration madness, I'm tentatively planning on coming back in 2024 for Dopey again. Got to use up those DVC points somehow . . .

Speaking of registration, official RD numbers are showing ~12K finishers for the full in 2023, which seems like a much smaller number than in years past and would explain why registration filled so fast. The marathon has had as many as 20K+ finishers in the past (2018, for example), but was "sold out" this year with only 12K finishers. If they've handled 20K runners before, why are numbers so limited these days? Does RD still have COVID concerns, or is it something else? It'll be interesting to see what happens with registration this year. It's very curious.

Some numbers to chew on:

Screen Shot 2023-01-09 at 1.27.35 PM.png

Combined with sell out timing information for MW marathon:

Start (link)
M sold out in 67 min (link)

Start (link)
Dopey/M sold out on 10/12 (link)
*All races periodically reopened.

2021 (Presumed reduced availability)
Start (link)
M sold out in 89 min (link)

Start (link)
Marathon sold out in Oct 2019 when registration was April 2019 (link) *Can't find a specific post for this one.

Start (link)
HM, M, Goofy and Dopey were essentially open until the end.

Start (Feb) (link)
M sold out in November (link)

Start (April) (link)
No information found on Goofy or M selling out

Really interesting numbers. What if it’s not RD’s decision, but WDW’s? It’s a really busy time, and they might have data showing that runners spend less money in the parks. It would make sense, bc a lot of us choose to rest on race days instead of getting parks tickets.

2018 must have been a scene.

Wow, I didn’t realize That between 2018 and 2019 it looks like they cut the field in half. Honestly, I didn’t feel any difference on the course. I remember that somewhere around this time they also seemed to cut out the race retreat, which when I inquired about, they said was due to the amount of construction at Epcot that had just started. I wonder if they will ever raise the caps again. I doubt it but hope they do. Anyway, this explains why the marathon rarely sold out and now everything sells out in less than an hour.

I was thinking the same thing. I'd be really curious to those that were there how were the corrals with 26 000 runners :oops:

I was there, but I don't specifically remember anything (thanks to my horrible long term memory :P). If this was before they started doing fewer corals but more people; I do remember it being wild to see so many coral letters in the start area. My experiences are also so different, since I am usually in coral A/B, and I know people have wildly different experiences in the later corals. That does appear to be the breaking point year though, when they said they would reduce the number of entries, because of all the complaints of how congested the course would get in the narrow parts.

I was thinking the same thing. I'd be really curious to those that were there how were the corrals with 26 000 runners :oops:

I did Dopey in 2018, and I was in Corral B for the half and full, not sure for 5/10k--probably same, maybe A. Honestly, a crowd is a crowd when it's that level. As a lone runner, I tend to sidle my way up to the front of the corral. And I wasn't trying to start fast, so I didn't really think it was any different than usual. Of course, they've changed corral configuration since then, and had a lot more back then, so who knows.

I wonder if they will ever raise the caps again.
With the current course doubling back past the start, not sure they can really increase the field again as they don't have the space to get back to the number of corrals they used to use.

Long ago they used to actually have two starts (red and blue) that merged somewhere between mile 2&3 as I recall and it helped with early crowding, but again that wouldn't work with the current courses.

I'm really glad I have almost 3 months to mull over another MW, but since DH has already sort-of declared his distances for next year, I will definitely be following along in here. I think that over the coming summer and fall there's going to be a lot of changes and new territory for me with our oldest being a senior, our youngest likely going to pre-school, and that would mean that I go back to work, which will massively cut into my training availability (unless I become a morning person 😖 )

Oh wow, those early dates are going to be problematic… easy for me to take time off, but not happy about potential crowd levels and resort rates.

I am definitely NOT doing the Marathon or any challenge involving the marathon. I mean it this time, lol! I’d love to do the 5K, but really cannot with that first day of the expo stress. So maybe “just” the10K and half, or “just” the half. I’ll need to see more about the theme… they can’t possibly do the 90s theme again, right?! :rotfl2:

Count me in as a hopeful! My goal is to do the goofy challenge and run about 40 miles for my 40th birthday which is the Sunday of marathon weekend! 🤞🤞

A much more healthy, but possibly less enjoyable, way to celebrate a 40th birthday. Mine was also at Disney---but I went during the good old days of Food and Wine (1998) and ate and drank myself around Epcot.

Good luck!

I initially thought I would sit it out next year due to the early dates/crowded parks scenario, but this past weekend only reminded me why I love MW so much, and why I keep coming back year after year!
Currently thinking Goofy - I just did Dopey, and the highlights are definitely the half and full. I also don't love going to the expo on Wednesday.
Marking my calendar now to book DVC next month!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter