Marathon Weekend 2024

This is also my theory, and I hope we're right! I'm staying at Bay Lake and plan to get up and spectate as much of the marathon as I can, so watch for me at that corner to MK on the course. I'll have to come up with some good signs.

I've seen a few others refer to doing the first three races as the Grumpy Challenge (as in, I'm grumpy because all I hear about is Dopey yet I'm one race short). So I've been calling my effort to do 3 at each the Double Grumpy.

It could be the Happy challenge because you don’t have to run the marathon.

I did those three races last year and told people I was doing the Happy challenge because I was happy to not do the marathon and I would end the weekend happy and not hobbling. I absolutely loved just doing the three last year. I'm so torn on what to do for 2025. I kind of want to do one more Dopey, but it was such a better experience not doing the marathon.

My training has been ok I guess. It's been a slow build up since July after ankle tendinitis in the spring. My ankle still hurts so that's troubling. I haven't decided on a plan or anything yet. I've just being doing 2-3 miles a few times a week. I'm much much slower than I'd like to be. I figure I have the rest of September to really get things figured out and start serious training in October.

Does anyone know if marathon majors give anything to volunteers (other than shirt/jacket)? I think it sucks that Disney is cutting the benefit, but I've never gotten anything (other than a shirt) for races I volunteered at around Atlanta. Now I didn't have to be there by 2 am either.

I have volunteered for Boston twice recently. We were given a volunteer jacket (Adidas--looks like some of the regular Boston ones, price tag had MSRP of $80) and a Boston Marathon pin.

I think it's always going to be worse when perks are taken away--people have past reference points. I have to say that the incentive of getting a 1 day park ticket (immediately after volunteering, back then) was a major draw for me to devote some of my MW time to volunteering.

Not surprising.... seems to be a Disney thing to chip away in the name of cost savings.

Does anyone know if marathon majors give anything to volunteers (other than shirt/jacket)? I think it sucks that Disney is cutting the benefit, but I've never gotten anything (other than a shirt) for races I volunteered at around Atlanta. Now I didn't have to be there by 2 am either.
I've read Boston just gives jackets, and still gets enough volunteers that they have to turn people away. There's a huge amount of community pride in the Boston area for that race. I did the 2018 Boston in that horrible Nor'easter storm, and the volunteers were still out there in force in the rain, cold, and wind, passing out water and supplies to runners. I've got huge respect for those people. They show up regardless. Props to them!
NYC gets huge numbers because people looking to get into that race via the 9+1 program are eager to volunteer in exchange for a guaranteed entry in the future.
As for the other majors, I don't know what they do.

You had to use them by 1pm that same day, so yeah, basically a half-day ticket.

"Thank you for considering volunteering your time during the upcoming RunDisney race season! Your passion for making a difference in the Central Florida community through our celebrated charities is truly valued. In keeping with that spirit of volunteerism, complimentary theme park tickets will not be distributed."

What.

Why is that so familiar?? Ah, yes... "It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday [...] it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week."

Fingers crossed W&D won't be a disaster, especially for those in the middle and back where the crowds become a real challenge. Might need to practice picking up our own water.

(I really feel bad for long time volunteers getting insulted like that.)

Just by curiosity, I looked at Ottawa, Montreal and Ptit train du nord. Most give T-shirt, some feed the volunteers lunch/snacks and some contribute to a cause/club fundraiser. One of them asked if the volunteers wanted to participate as a runner. Example of a typical offer:

INCLUDED IN THE VOLUNTEER KIT

– All the information about the event
– The Marathon volunteer t-shirt
– Lunch on the day of your participation
– Numerous participation prizes to be won
– Certificate of participation (on request)

I think that the complimentary tickets will return for Marathon Weekend, but it's not going to be as magical for Wine and Dine if there aren't enough volunteers to handle water for a half marathon. Is runDisney going to just have medals on a stand and expect runners to take one when the race is over?
Only after first going through a gift shop…

Is runDisney going to just have medals on a stand and expect runners to take one when the race is over?
That wouldn't be the worst thing, in the sense that those volunteers are very much appreciated, but not necessary. If they didn't have enough volunteers, I'd much prefer having on course support than someone handing me a medal in a plastic baggie.

That wouldn't be the worst thing, in the sense that those volunteers are very much appreciated, but not necessary. If they didn't have enough volunteers, I'd much prefer having on course support than someone handing me a medal in a plastic baggie.
You're preaching to the choir. If given a choice, I would definitely prefer to have a sufficient number of volunteers for on-course support.

they did that for SS? And princess? I can’t remember. But leaving them packaged is an interesting move; I can see it cutting down on the scratches (and breakage?) and stuff from them dangling from arms, but it’s just more stuff to carry.
I don't know about STS but for Princess, yes. They probably got some negative feedback after Marathon Weekend that medals were being handed over scratched.

I sent Disney a note about this, it just sends the wrong message on the brand and the spirit of the races. They might not read it, maybe they will if multiple notes come their way…
Same. I sent a message yesterday and they responded to me yesterday afternoon. Who knows if they'll make a change, but perhaps they will if enough people voice their discontent. Unfortunately, I doubt that they'll do anything until they see a drop in participation at runDisney events.

they did that for SS? And princess? I can’t remember. But leaving them packaged is an interesting move; I can see it cutting down on the scratches (and breakage?) and stuff from them dangling from arms, but it’s just more stuff to carry.
Yes, they did it for Princess and Springtime. I like it much better because I can just shove it in my pocket until I get to my gear bag without it getting all gross

SAFD: I have Berlin coming up in a couple of weeks, and I did my last 20 miler last weekend, so I am tapering now and focused on that. Training for Berlin has gone as well as expected in the heat and humidity of the summer. I did lay out a plan for MW, giving myself two weeks to recover after Berlin before jumping back into training for Goofy.

Hope Disney treats the volunteers better - why this company keeps making these terrible decisions is beyond me, and this just feels like another cheap, cost-cutting move :sad2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter