Marathon Weekend 2024

For all you Berlin runners, check out the Breakfast Run the day before the race. It's finally back to its original (pre-COVID) course, from Charlottenburg Palace to the Olympic Stadium. It's a 6K shakeout run which actually finishes on the track at the Olympic Stadium, allowing you to cross the same finish line as Jesse Owens and the other 1936 Olympians. Afterwards, there's a free light breakfast on the stadium grounds. Plus, a lot of the runners wear fun/silly costumes. It's free, fun, and definitely worth doing. Good luck in Berlin!

I am faaar from a Disney apologist and generally am not an optimist, but hear me out: I remember there being a huge amount of worry when they downgraded feee tickets to half-days that we wouldn't have enough volunteers… and in the end, it was fine. I genuinely think it’ll be fine without tickets, too. From what I’ve heard from Behind the Curtain, a pretty big number of volunteers have historically been no-shows, anyway. And it has appeared at recent rD races that a lot more young people were at water and fuel stations - I strongly suspect there’s recruitment at local schools/ among staff families/ charities / etc. for volunteer positions. I do not think we’re suddenly not going to have sufficient water or Powerade because of this change. We might have longer lines for packet pick up or shirts… but I kind of doubt that, too, TBH.

tl;dr: it’ll be fine. Let’s worry about the weather instead. :rotfl2:

tl;dr: it’ll be fine. Let’s worry about the weather instead. :rotfl2:
I want you to be right.

Also, as a savvy FL resident, can you tell me what the weather will be like for the marathon? Wunderground is showing 72/49 for race weekend, but it also says half an inch of snow for each day?! This can't possibly be correct! [clutches imaginary pearls dramatically]

For those flying Southwest, check your flight prices. I just looked and the prices on our flights had dropped. I rebooked and ended up getting $200 back in credits.

Perhaps. But if so few used them, what was the harm? But even if it doesn't affect the volunteer turnout, the announcement was so insulting, and I prefer rD show more appreciation.
It's just a weird way to pinch pennies. They've been experts at cutting the strangest perks to try and make up money while still hemorrhaging money from Disney+ and the Fox debt.

It's just a weird way to pinch pennies. They've been experts at cutting the strangest perks to try and make up money while still hemorrhaging money from Disney+ and the Fox debt.
I heard a rumor today that the reason runDisney cut the free tickets was because the new board that DeSantis appointed deemed the free tickets to be an inappropriate untaxed benefit. I haven't had a chance to investigate the claim yet, but thought it provided more information than just runDisney being cheap.

I heard a rumor today that the reason runDisney cut the free tickets was because the new board that DeSantis appointed deemed the free tickets to be an inappropriate untaxed benefit. I haven't had a chance to investigate the claim yet, but thought it provided more information than just runDisney being cheap.

This is a different issue. The accusation is that Reedy Creek used taxpayer dollars to buy Disney perks (tickets, hotels, food) for its employees (firefighters, etc.) as a way to funnel money to Disney. Disney giving free tickets to volunteers has nothing to do with Reedy Creek.

Also, RunDisney slashed the ticket benefit last year prior to any of these legal issues. We were 1800 volunteers short for the marathon—can’t wait to see how many we are short now.

Perhaps. But if so few used them, what was the harm? But even if it doesn't affect the volunteer turnout, the announcement was so insulting, and I prefer rD show more appreciation.

It's not even pinching pennies because it costs them nothing. Sure, it may have a paper cost but no real cost. If I have another division of my company comp me something it isn't actually an expense to the bottom line, just a meaningless internal line that doesn't really matter. This whole "each division has to fight for themselves" is a shortsighted and terrible way to run a company.

A volunteer in the parks where they buy food, drinks, and possibly souvenirs is a net positive.

This whole "each division has to fight for themselves" is a shortsighted and terrible way to run a company.
My understanding is this is exactly how it's done. The resorts have to pay parks to get characters, etc. So who knows if the race had to shell out cash for passes. :confused3

(My suspicion is rD has to pay a fortune to ESPN for the expo space, explaining why no one exhibits anymore except Fit2Run, name sponsors, and Galloway&Friends.)

My understanding is this is exactly how it's done. The resorts have to pay parks to get characters, etc. So who knows if the race had to shell out cash for passes. :confused3

(My suspicion is rD has to pay a fortune to ESPN for the expo space, explaining why no one exhibits anymore except Fit2Run, name sponsors, and Galloway&Friends.)
It may be but it shouldn't be. RunDisney paying ESPN isn't actually a expense or revenue for Disney and it is at the very top level, The Walt Disney Company, that expense and revenue matters.

RunDisney paying ESPN is the equivalent of you or I moving money from our right pocket to our left. Do I care which pocket my money is in? No, I just care that at the end of my day the money is in my pants. Each division of Disney is a pocket and Disney is the pants. Accounting entries have to be made to track which pocket is moving money in and out but at the end of the day the only thing that matters is the bottom line.

If, as a senior leader, you make your pockets fight for revenue instead of working for the greater good you are not a good leader.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter