• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Marathon Weekend 2025

I know that I'm putting the cart WAY in front of the horse considering (1) I haven't successfully registered for the Dopey Challenge and (2) proper marathon training won't begin until early September. Nonetheless, how have you experienced Dopey runners paced the half marathon? Assuming that I use the Hanson's Marathon Method for the Dopey, I was contemplating using my long run pace for the Half. Any suggestions or stories of past experiences are greatly appreciated.
I use a pacing structure similar to Hanson's (@DopeyBadger-provided) and my general approach is to run the 5k, 10k and half in my easy range and then shoot for a target of Long Run pace for the marathon. It's important to keep in mind that I'm not going in to race Dopey, though. I just want to enjoy the courses and the MW race environment.

I know that I'm putting the cart WAY in front of the horse considering (1) I haven't successfully registered for the Dopey Challenge and (2) proper marathon training won't begin until early September. Nonetheless, how have you experienced Dopey runners paced the half marathon? Assuming that I use the Hanson's Marathon Method for the Dopey, I was contemplating using my long run pace for the Half. Any suggestions or stories of past experiences are greatly appreciated.

My Dopey plan was generally to take a stupidly long, low-effort time in the 5K and 10K, with plenty of pics and fun with friends. The Half and Full were more focused on actual run-walking and I used the same intervals for both and my average pace was very similar in both, as well. In every case, I felt strong and energized during the full: no issues at all. I even pulled out an unexpected 20-minute PR one year!

The big thing for me was always weather: a warm half meant being a little more careful about hydration/electrolyte intake and avoiding overheating. Years when both were chilly to downright frigid, my paces were considerably faster, but at lower rate of perceived effort and feeling perfectly fine. I guess what I’m saying is that you probably need to be flexible about it all - see how you feel in various stages of b2b training and draw on that to navigate the actual races.

SAFD: This is really, really hard because I love both rides so much. But given how innovative it is today and that you get a different experience every time you ride it, I have to give the edge to Guardians. I plan more Epcot days specifically for this ride and it's just the best ride I have ridden in a long, long time.

(Sorry this is so late. I've been in trial all week and I finally came up for air)

I use a pacing structure similar to Hanson's (@DopeyBadger-provided) and my general approach is to run the 5k, 10k and half in my easy range and then shoot for a target of Long Run pace for the marathon. It's important to keep in mind that I'm not going in to race Dopey, though. I just want to enjoy the courses and the MW race environment.
You're preaching to the choir about enjoying the courses and the MW race environment. Additionally, I'm going to try to plan out my pace to reach AK when the park opens to hopefully ride Everest. Then, on to DHS to try to get onto Tower of Terror and RnR.

I think it's going to be important to look at your goals for the races, what your paces are,, and then figure out what makes sense. To me, the point of doing Dopey is to finish it, and be a functional human the next day. (If you've done Goofy, it's not that much harder; it's more the lack of sleep with the extra wakeups that gets you, IMO.)

I do not run rD races for time AND I am a charter member of Team Not-So-Fast. I stop for pics, selfies, etc even during the longer races, and I have successfully completed two Dopey challenges. I walk the 5K and 10K. I run the first half of the half (to get to the castle before daylight) and walk the rest, then give whatever is left to the marathon.
THIS. Probably influenced by doing my first Goofy with @The Expert , and the half/full of my first Dopey as well. The 5k and 10k are taken super easy (because PICTURES), run easy/LR pace until out of MK for the half and then mostly walk it back to the finish, and survive the marathon. I don't want to use up my juice by running the HM too hard and then have to suffer [more] during the full.

ETA: I see you mentioned riding EE when you get into AK. With the change in the course for this year, we entered AK a few miles sooner than in the past, and if you run faster than approximately 10:00 pace you'll be past it before opening.

Last edited:
I see you mentioned riding EE when you get into AK. With the change in the course for this year, we entered AK a few miles sooner than in the past, and if you run faster than approximately 10:00 pace you'll be past it before opening.
Riding Everest has become a challenge in itself. You need to find that pocket when the park is open but before they stop letting runners get on

Jeff Galloway's advice is to do the half marathon as slow as you can without getting in trouble with the balloon ladies. If you can walk it, all the better.

Strong disagree. A big factor in the Dopey is time on your feet. If you have been training properly, then you should be used to multiple consecutive days of running. Unless you’ve been training by walking 10 miles before a 20-mile run, you shouldn’t try anything new on race day. Also, the gait cycle of walking is different, and you could either injure yourself or exhaust muscles you don’t normally use for that length of time. Unless you’ve neglected your training, stick to what you’ve been doing and trust that all the work will carry you through.

You're preaching to the choir about enjoying the courses and the MW race environment. Additionally, I'm going to try to plan out my pace to reach AK when the park opens to hopefully ride Everest. Then, on to DHS to try to get onto Tower of Terror and RnR.
I rode Everest and Tower in 2023...will never forget it (got front row on Tower too...amazing, thankfully they let us through the lightning lane).

Everest in 2024 was different, they let us through the normal line and it was still pretty quick but not as encouraged as in 2023 when they were literally waving us through the single rider. Sounds like I timed it just right as it had been closed before and shortly after I went through. It's such a highlight of the marathon for me! (And a much needed break off my feet)

RnRC is a bold choice, my head gets so banged around on a good day :rotfl:

Riding Everest has become a challenge in itself. You need to find that pocket when the park is open but before they stop letting runners get on
If you want guidance or even just a laugh, there's a Facebook group called "Ultimate Dopey Challenge" which is all about maximizing one's enjoyment during the race(s) whether that be characters, going on as many rides as you can or snacks and/or drinks along the way.

Strong disagree. A big factor in the Dopey is time on your feet. If you have been training properly, then you should be used to multiple consecutive days of running. Unless you’ve been training by walking 10 miles before a 20-mile run, you shouldn’t try anything new on race day. Also, the gait cycle of walking is different, and you could either injure yourself or exhaust muscles you don’t normally use for that length of time. Unless you’ve neglected your training, stick to what you’ve been doing and trust that all the work will carry you through.

You can choose to disagree, but that is what someone whose plans have gotten probably tens of thousands of people across the finish line says to do. Admittedly, the back to back simulations in the Galloway training plan having you walking as well, but I know many people run all of their simulations.

Many runners do double digit mileage walking around the parks and then run races the next day so I can't see how Jeff's advice is that different.

Long run or easy pace. I would NOT walk or do any other pace that you were not comfortable with in training. Honestly, I find walking that kind of distance to be much more challenging/tiring/sore than running it.

I rode Everest and Tower in 2023...will never forget it (got front row on Tower too...amazing, thankfully they let us through the lightning lane).

Everest in 2024 was different, they let us through the normal line and it was still pretty quick but not as encouraged as in 2023 when they were literally waving us through the single rider. Sounds like I timed it just right as it had been closed before and shortly after I went through. It's such a highlight of the marathon for me! (And a much needed break off my feet)

RnRC is a bold choice, my head gets so banged around on a good day :rotfl:
I was on Everest as well in 2023. It is such an indelible memory of the race because my right foot was causing such pain that I couldn't run a few feet without agony at that point, so it was a welcome invitation by the castmember to ride Everest. I wasn't even planning on doing it, but had so much fun.

Agree with the time on your feet. I try to get done with the half marathon as quick as possible. More rest and recovery time. Plus I can get to the parks earlier!

For the Dopey I think some things to think about outside pace race to race is nutrition, hydration and rest between races regardless of how hard you run each race. I have completed Dopey 8 times, twice I went race pace for all four races. One of those times it went well and the other... hurt! Every other Dopey I have usually gone easy for the 5k, 10k and half and tried to run a little harder in the marathon. And in those races some went well and a few went horrible! The factors for a good marathon in Dopey for me come down to weather for which I can't control and how I prepare which I can control. The marathon seems to go best when I have been careful about how and when I am eating, how much water I consume, a good balance of easy walking in the parks/time off feet and then sleep between races. My most enjoyable marathons were where I did a decent amount of walking post race during the day, drank lots of water, had a larger lunch and smaller dinner and got off my feet and to bed earlier than I wanted. A good movie early in the evening in my room relaxed on the bed and then off to sleep has been a good compromise (when I would rather be running around the parks).

Depends on what your goal for race weekend is. I've completed the Dopey Challenge five times (2014-2018), and the goal was the same all five attempts. Try to PR in all four races in consecutive days, and then have a full day's Disney vacation with the family in-between the races. I always succeeded on the vacation side of it (as was my wife's expectation), and came the closest in 2018 to PR'ing all four races consecutively with PRs at 5k (20:06), 10k (39:54), HM (1:30:35) and missing the M by less than 2 min (3:15:59). What's more incredible to me is that six years later and 30+ races later, those 2018 Dopey race performances still rank 1st, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in terms of all time official PRs. Some true Disney magic that weekend.

My advice for race weekend is to train for what kind of weekend you want before the weekend comes. A good rule of thumb when it comes to setting expectations for the marathon is realistic marathon pace for a standalone race + 10%. The other three races can be taken as slow or as fast as you want within your own fitness profile as long as you appropriately train for it.

I do not run rD races for time AND I am a charter member of Team Not-So-Fast. I stop for pics, selfies, etc even during the longer races, and I have successfully completed two Dopey challenges. I walk the 5K and 10K. I run the first half of the half (to get to the castle before daylight) and walk the rest, then give whatever is left to the marathon.
This!

I’m loving all the advice for completing the Dopey Challenge! Based on others experiences, I would try to take it easy for the first 3 races. Maybe not completely walk, but also easy running. I want to enjoy the courses and characters since not sure how soon I’ll be back. The only thing is figuring out vacation with family and getting decent rest. But there’s plenty of time to figure that out. I did my first challenge this year which was an 8k on Saturday followed by a marathon on Sunday. I did super easy pace for 8k and raced my marathon and got an awesome PR. Got 15 minutes faster than I had planned!

I’ve completed 3 marathons in the past 3 years and I’ve used Hal Higdon’s plans. This past year, his intermediate plan was a great combination for me. Im planning to use his Dopey training plan. Anyone tried his plan?

I’m not a high mileage runner. I’m injury prone so I’ve adopted the run/walk method, which I love. I want to be able to still run as I age and I think this will help me to do that. I believe this is what has helped me to cross the finish line each time for the marathon. It was hard at first to include the walking, but I had to overcome the mental block I had about walking. For me, walking is harder than running.

Good luck to everyone trying to get a spot next week!

I want to enjoy the courses and characters since not sure how soon I’ll be back. The only thing is figuring out vacation with family and getting decent rest.
There is a lot of experience on this board with that, so please ask questions! We have some awesome planners here who manage to balance all the things during race weekends.

I’m injury prone so I’ve adopted the run/walk method, which I love. I want to be able to still run as I age and I think this will help me to do that.
Again, lots of run-walkers here. You are among friends!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter