Marathon Weekend 2025

Grand Floridian Cafe has pancakes on their lunch menu, but lunch ends at 2:00.

Would a waffle from Sleepy Hollow do?
Did they start doing those all day again? Last I knew the fruit/nutella waffle was only on the brunch menu (couldn't get one in the afternoon, only the spicy chicken waffle.)

don't go to McD often but here in Canada (at least Ontario) some locations still have it.

Most of the franchisees here in The States didn't want it; it's just more stuff in the kitchen to do. Being able to put the sausage, eggs, and biscuits away at the same time the hamburgers are coming out is much easier for the kitchen to keep on top of.

Good afternoon RunDisney All-Stars! Welcome to this week's edition of Sundays are for Disney (SAFD). It's a rainy Sunday here in central NC and most of us are likely to be faced with rain on training run days at some point between now and Marathon Weekend. What do you do when it rains? Do you keep the runs outside? Move them to the (gasp) treadmill? What tips and techniques do you have to share with your fellows who may not yet have had the dubious pleasure of a raining training day?

SAFD:
First off, as long as there's no lightning, I'm running outside. You never know what the weather's going to be like on race day, so it pays to practice running in the rain so you're prepared. That philosophy has paid dividends for me over the years, never more such than in a 24h race last fall where we had constant rain for the first 8+ hours of the race.

As far as adjusting to it, I've learned to embrace the wet. Attempting to stay dry with a rain jacket generally just results in being hotter and just as wet from sweating inside the jacket than I would've been by just running in the rain. I'll caveat this with an exception, though. If it's a particularly chilly day with significant wind, a jacket can be beneficial. As a glasses wearer, as well, I find a hat with a decent brim to be essential to keeping as much water as possible out of my eyes. I don't tend to have issues with blisters from wet socks or shoes, but I'm sure some folks will be able to add tips for preventing them, as well.

SAFD: Timely topic. I did a 9 mile run in the rain yesterday. It was also 48 and windy. I don’t mind rain, but a no go with lightning. You have to train in everything in my opinion, race day might have those same conditions. I was rewarded today though with 54 and a cloudless sky.

SAFD: In MN, we luckily don't get much rain. If it's a long run, I just flip it to a different day. For shorter runs, I'll do them on the treadmill, or skip them if I'm lazy. If it's just drizzling I'll maybe go out but just maybe. Full on rain, absolutely not. I don't feel the need to practice in rain at all, running is hard enough :laughing: Pretty sure running in the rain for marathon weekend destroyed my shoes (both were quite low milage and the cushion in them is so flat now). I packed a little body glide stick for the marathon and reapplied on my feet about halfway through and that kept me from getting any blisters!

SAFD: If it's absolutely pouring I'll run on the treadmill or reschedule if possible. I don't mind a little rain, but it was windy during one of my recent runs and a giant tree branch fell right in front of me so I'm a little more cautious about storms now.

Pretty sure running in the rain for marathon weekend destroyed my shoes (both were quite low milage and the cushion in them is so flat now).
I was just going to ask if anyone knew if running in wet shoes decreases the life of the shoe. Feels like it can't be good for them, especially if you're running a lot of miles.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter