Marathon Weekend 2025

SAFD: Depends on length of the run and how bad it's raining. If it's not a tropical downpour, I will typically just embrace the rain. If it's a heavy rain, then I will move onto the treadmill, unless it's a long run of 8 miles plus. In that case, for sanity reasons I try and find a way re-arrange the schedule to avoide having to do the run that day.

SAFD:

I missed a good chance to go running in the rain yesterday, it poured through the entirety of DS15's soccer game, and after we got lunch and got home (and I got my shoes on) it had stopped, mostly. a good sprinkle mid run, but as long as I'm good on temperature I'll run in the rain. if it's mid 40's or lower I might limit my time to avoid hypothermia.

Rainy in NJ today, so perfect question! Forecast was ick enough for a light rain jacket but I would've been fine without one. Best weapon is my baseball hat. I usually wear mine backwards, but flipping it in the rain has saved me during several downpours.

Like lots of folks said, so long as it's not dangerous, I'll be outside. Usually in my "rainy day" shoes (my last old pair) and shaving off a mile or two from the plan.

SAFD:

I missed a good chance to go running in the rain yesterday, it poured through the entirety of DS15's soccer game, and after we got lunch and got home (and I got my shoes on) it had stopped, mostly. a good sprinkle mid run, but as long as I'm good on temperature I'll run in the rain. if it's mid 40's or lower I might limit my time to avoid hypothermia.
also as a west-coaster we don't get warm rains usually so we have a different perspective

SAFD: unless there’s lightning I will run through any downpour. I have to hit the treadmill too often in winter due to the cold so I avoid it as much as possible during other times of the year.

As for keeping feet dry - I always have a pair a Nike Pegasus Shields around. They are what I run in the snow with too. While only water resistant, I find I would have to run through ankle deep puddles in order for them to get wet.

SAFD: we typically don’t get morning rain in Florida, but if we do, it depends on the intensity. Lightning obviously means a treadmill run. If it’s drizzling, I’ll run outside. If it’s more of a steady rain, I’ll skip or run on the treadmill. I don’t like getting super wet and since I’m running for fun, I’d rather not subject myself to it. I know they say train for any weather on race day, but race day is special so I can push through bad weather for it.

SAFD: as long as it’s not lightening or cold enough to freeze, I run outside. I wear a rain jacket, unless it’s summer/too warm, and a hat to keep as much water out of my eyes as possible. Did one of my 20 milers for the marathon last year in a downpour and bought rain gloves after, but would say those probably weren’t worth the money.

SAFD : like @camaker I try to run outside no matter the weather as we never know what race conditions we'll get.

The only time I'll move my run around is if it's freezing rain or torrential rain before I go outside to run. It's too hard mentally to go out in those conditions. But if it starts while I'm already running and warmed up, I'll keep on keeping on

SAFD 9/10 times will be in the rain, every now and then if it’s a short run and I haven’t been on the treadmill in a while, I’ll move inside but it’s basically for lightning, ice, or sub teens temps. If it’s a run over 10 miles and it’s pouring then I’ll shuffle my schedule around and run less in the rain.

SAFD:
I really like running in the rain. I try to be real careful to not over dress, so no rain coat unless it is under 50. I will slow down in the rain and watch my footing a bit more. But I usually just embrace the wet and run through the puddles ( during last year’s half of a half my DD and
I finished the miles back at the resort and got into a great splash fight as the puddles got deeper from the rain 😀🌧️🌊🤣

I do think a ball cap is great for keeping rain out of my face. I make sure my shoes are real tight and either body glide my feet or wear a good tech sock to avoid blisters. Lastly because I like to run with my phone, I place it in a sandwich size zip lock baggie and it stays very dry and I am able to use It without having to take it out.

I'll run in rain as long as it isn't a storm or sideways rain. I actually kind of like a light rain, especially on the trails with the sound of rain on trees all around me.
During marathon training I do my best not to skip any bad weather that isn't dangerous because you never know what race day will be. For Boston training I had a few mid 30s rainy runs, on with 18-20 mph winds. It was bad but if I could do 14 or 16 in it training I could do 26 in it on race day.

SAFD: As long as it's not heavy rain and/or lightning I will usually head out. I have a Brooks rain jacket but only wear it if temps are below 50-ish. I don't have a TM or a gym membership, so running outside is my only option if I want to run.
I do think getting out in the rain to run is a solid deposit in the "mental toughness bank" that endurance athletes have to have. If anyone here was at the MCM in 2019 it was a monsoon, and the memories of slogging through that have gotten me through some tough runs! Like - hey, you ran through 6 inch deep water at MCM - you can get through this!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter