Marathon Weekend 2025

SAFD: I'll still be running throughout the summer. The Texas heat will make sure I run pretty early in the mornings, bring hydration for anything longer than an hour, and go slow. We don't have a treadmill at the house so I just have to suck up the heat (plus visors, plus sunscreen, etc.) I had been having some thyroid issues that prevented me from running for about 2 months. That's fortunately resolved now so I'm trying to build back my base. It will be a slow and sweaty process, but I did 6 miles on Saturday and felt pretty good so I'm glad I'm not starting from 0! When I was getting back to running postpartum while nursing my daughter, my running coach recommended Huma Gel Plus Energy (no caffeine) for my running fuel and I really liked it. No GI issues and it helped me stay hydrated throughout my half marathon training + nursing. I'm planning on using the same ones for my long training runs this summer, so if anyone else is looking for a good fuel with electrolytes, I would recommend that one.

Speaking of hydration, has anyone tried the GU liquid energy? I can’t do gels because of the consistency, but I handles the liquid energy pretty well. The only issue was I felt like I needed a straw. I was probably overthinking things but I had difficulty figuring out how to drink out of the pouch.

SAFD: I will be doing a 12 week 5k training plan this summer. It's 4 days a week and I'll be doing strength training on the other days. My "easy pace" has already slowed down a lot since the Disneyland HM in January so now adding on heat and humidity of summer, I'm worried about my pace, but hopefully with this training plan I will be able to overcome the heat. I'll be running Castaway Cay 5k at the end of August. 8-)🥵 This will be a precursor to Marathon training.

Since I will be training in the heat this summer and also because I think I'm going to have to train with hydration and fuel for the marathon, I'm considering getting a small handheld bottle and/or a pouch/belt to carry things in. Taking recommendations!
Has anyone ever used Spints cross body bag with the extra skinny strap to keep it from bouncing?

Thanks @DHSsenior007 for the Huma gel recommendation. I need to be caffeine free so I'm going to try two of these flavors.
I ran the Disneyland HM fasted so I have no idea how I'm going to go about fueling for a marathon!!!😵‍💫

@LorrieAnn5 I personally don't like to have things in my hands when I run so I use a hydration running vest and use that plus my leggings pockets to store my gels, phone, etc. I tried with the handheld water bottle and it just annoyed me for anything longer than 90 min. More importantly, I can fit more water in the pack than the bottle. I drink a lot during my long runs so the capacity is a necessity.

SAFD: I will be doing a 12 week 5k training plan this summer. It's 4 days a week and I'll be doing strength training on the other days. My "easy pace" has already slowed down a lot since the Disneyland HM in January so now adding on heat and humidity of summer, I'm worried about my pace, but hopefully with this training plan I will be able to overcome the heat. I'll be running Castaway Cay 5k at the end of August. 8-)🥵 This will be a precursor to Marathon training.

Since I will be training in the heat this summer and also because I think I'm going to have to train with hydration and fuel for the marathon, I'm considering getting a small handheld bottle and/or a pouch/belt to carry things in. Taking recommendations!
Has anyone ever used Spints cross body bag with the extra skinny strap to keep it from bouncing?

Thanks @DHSsenior007 for the Huma gel recommendation. I need to be caffeine free so I'm going to try two of these flavors.
I ran the Disneyland HM fasted so I have no idea how I'm going to go about fueling for a marathon!!!😵‍💫
I absolutely love the Ultraspire Speedgoat 3.0 hydration belt. Having two 0.5L bottles allows for multiple fluid types and it’s very easy to refill, if needed.

I’ll also second the recommendation for Huma gels. Most gels don’t sit well on my stomach, but Humas are great. No upset at all. The apple cinnamon is my go to non-caffeinated flavor. If you can take gummies, I’ve found Honey Stinger gummies to work very well, too.

SAFD: I am not registered for anything until WDW Marathon. Like a lot of people here, I plan to run, but at a lower volume and try to swap one running day for strength training. The goal is to do strength training at least twice a week and do my best to make it a habit.
Have you decided on a strength training plan yet?

Have you decided on a strength training plan yet?
Thanks for asking! I posted on the strength training thread that I have a set of about 7 exercises from the Runners World UK website, that I have been doing about twice a week.
https://www.runnersworld.com/uk/training/cross-training/a43155365/7-best-strength-moves/
Hoping to expand that once I get a habit going with this simple routine. I'm actually starting to look into joining a gym but one of my barriers to strength training is that I really need something that's convenient and I don't have to plan around. Dumbbells at home work fine for that.
I also love the "8 Minute Workout" videos from the 80s! I used to do them and might start interspersing them. I think I love them because they are so nostalgic. I liken it to Alzheimer's homes playing music from when their patients were young, to help them remember things... These videos put me in a context of being young & fit and I enjoy them, and maybe psychologically can even do a little more :crazy: As an example:
Jamie wears amazing outfits, and the woman in these videos has Reebok aerobics shoes that I would have died for in high school! Once I get into the habit, I can get more serious, but this feels like a fine place to start.

Thanks for asking! I posted on the strength training thread that I have a set of about 7 exercises from the Runners World UK website, that I have been doing about twice a week.
https://www.runnersworld.com/uk/training/cross-training/a43155365/7-best-strength-moves/
Hoping to expand that once I get a habit going with this simple routine. I'm actually starting to look into joining a gym but one of my barriers to strength training is that I really need something that's convenient and I don't have to plan around. Dumbbells at home work fine for that.
I also love the "8 Minute Workout" videos from the 80s! I used to do them and might start interspersing them. I think I love them because they are so nostalgic. I liken it to Alzheimer's homes playing music from when their patients were young, to help them remember things... These videos put me in a context of being young & fit and I enjoy them, and maybe psychologically can even do a little more :crazy: As an example:
Jamie wears amazing outfits, and the woman in these videos has Reebok aerobics shoes that I would have died for in high school! Once I get into the habit, I can get more serious, but this feels like a fine place to start.
That video reminds me of BodyShaping on ESPN2 from the early 1990's. That and Kian's Flex Appeal.

SAFD: I have a really really hard time getting back into good habits once I let them drop. (I'm still trying to get back into the swing of running after a recent race, as my one-week break has turned into a 4-week break. Oof.)

So, I'll do my best to gut out about 30 miles per week, just trying to get out in the morning when it's 'only' 75-85 degrees, and bringing plenty of fluids.

SAFD: My plan is to get me knee cleaned up and then back to square one on Dopey training. Getting the "multiple loose bodies" cleaned out of the old arthritic knee that had ACL replacement 29 years ago. If surgery goes well and recovery is good, then I may throw in a fall race or two to keep myself motivated. But, as of now....focus on getting this knee to feel better.

SAFD: I never stop running so we are running this summer. I run about 4-5 a week and bike other days with a "rest" day 1 day a week. We are planning a half for the fall, then focusing on MW which is the 1/2 and 10k for us. We have been keeping a base for our long runs since Princess weekend and we hover around 7-9 miles depending on weekend events. That should put us in great shape for training for our October 1/2.

Strength training is something Iove to throw in. I usually do some weight work after my run (push ups, core, chin/pull ups, kettle bell work), but I also do Pure Barre 4-5x a week which has really been great for all those muscles around my hips. In fact, a lot of the movement we do is similar to what I did for PT when I had piriformis issues years ago.

Last edited:
SAFD: I will have to train through the Texas summer to be ready for the DL Halloween Half weekend, so my current plan is to officially start that plan after this upcoming Memorial Day weekend. I had planned to do maintenance after SS, but I've only done on 3-mile run since then. I'm also finishing up my spring softball season, so I'm trying to not be too hard on myself. I will hit the ground running next week with perhaps a casual run or two before then. The plan is going to be 4 days a week. I just cannot do more than that. Haha. Like @Cabius, I am going to have to shift my routine to running in the early morning during the week to beat the heat (well, it will still be lower 80s with a ton of humidity, but not the 110 we get up to during the peak of summer). I am really hoping that once I start my plan, I will start to be more motivated. Because as it stands right now, I am absolutely dreading the training.

SAFD: It took me 45 years to start so I can’t stop now. Summer will see my usual 5 days/week to maintain both fitness and the habit until sometime in mid July when I’ll increase the long run from 10 to 20 to get ready for the Green River Marathon at the end of August followed by Clarence DeMar the end of September.

Last edited:
SAFD: I’ll be starting training in June for the Wineglass full in October. I run year round but have basically been in maintenance mode since Marathon weekend/Disneyland weekend. Ready to up the mileage again! After Wineglass, figure out how to maintain until January for marathon weekend!
That one has been on my list a few years now. I almost registered this year but chose the Clarence DeMar Marathon at the end of September instead hoping for a decent recovery before Wine and Dine weekend.

SAFD: I never stop running so we are running this summer. I run about 4-5 a week and bike other days with a "rest" day 1 day a week. We are planning a half for the fall, then focusing on MW which is the 1/2 and 10k for us. We have been keeping a base for our long runs since Princess weekend and we hover around 7-9 miles depending on weekend events. That should put us in great shape for training for our October 1/2.

Strength training is something Iove to through in. I usually do some weight work after my run (push ups, core, chins/pull ups, kettle bell work), but I also do Pure Barre 4-5x a week which has really been great for all those muscles around my hips. In fact, a lot of the movement we do is similar to what I did for PT when I had piriformis issues years ago.
I did Pure Barre when I lived in Dallas, and my my, those small muscles in the glutes and quads were quite weak. I also did it once I was discharged from PT because I knew I needed to keep up with those exercises. I don't live near a studio and haven't for 6 years, but I have DVDs and I'll do barre with Peloton. Those small muscles still fatigue quickly!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter