March 2-5 report (random thoughts from a Disneyland guy)

Tennor

Mouseketeer
First, the differences between Disneyland Resort and WDW:

Disneyland is a locals park. Locals flood the place in the evenings after work. Not so at WDW. In Florida, it's mostly tourists and everyone is there for the main purpose of visiting the parks....so tons of people get there early. In Cali, the first few hours of the day are great. In FL, if you're not the first people there, it's busy after the first hour. Also, the locals in DL treat the park like home. A lot more trash in the lines and around in Florida.

If you've never been to WDW, the size is the biggest difference. You need 45 min or more to get from one park to the other. You are at the mercy of Disney transportation - even if you take Uber, Disney won't let them in the drop-off zone more than an hour before opening (and the parks actually open 45 min before "opening time.").

Thoughts about the WDW parks:

1. Animal Kingdom was my favorite. It's so different from anything in DL. The Pandora section really is incredible, the Flight of Passage ride is fantastic. The queue itself would be the #1 tourist destination in Utah if it were here. Takes 15 min just to walk through the line. However, with no shows and nighttime stuff, you can be done by 2pm.

2. Hollywood Studios: Rock'n'Roller Coaster is fantastic even after all these years. The new Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway ride is a delight. So glad it's coming to ToonTown in DL in a few years. The old Tower of Terror is a treat, too, but the Guardians Version is no slouch. Star Wars is mostly the same as at DL - and it's great. The Toy Story land is fun, and the Slinky Dog Dash small coaster is pretty fun for a family coaster. Cars Land is MUCH better.

3. Epcot. When Epcot has actual french people working the France pavilion, when the Chinese Acrobats are there, when all the stores are open. when it has the new nighttime spectacular it's building is done - it will be amazing once again. Right now it's hard to love, but I love what it was and what it will be. If you're not into edutainment, it's a half-day park at the most. The Frozen Ever After ride was much better than I expected. Loved it, and I'm sick of Frozen. I appreciate the love people have for Epcot. I have fond memories of it, and hope it will return to that glory.

4. Magic Kingdom. It's bizarro Disneyland, but it was our favorite park. We felt the Disney Magic there, even with so much missing. The little character cavalcades are great for kids. I loved seeing the Country Bear Jamboree again. The classics: Space Mt, Splash, Big Thunder, Pirates, Small World, Peter Pan, Jungle Cruise, Teacups, Dumbo - all are there, but different. All are better at DL. But they are still fun. Splash is the closest to the one in DL. Pirates is missing the first half of the ride, basically.

One way WDW wins is in Queues. Waiting in line for Peter Pan, Flight of Passage, Seven Dwarves Mine Train, Little Mermaid, etc is actually entertaining.

Disneyland is better in most ways, though. I might not return to WDW for 10+ years. Sheer number of attractions in the two parks right next to each other, and a much better treat selection (I'm looking at you, churros and homemade peanut brittle and the best of all - freshly made English toffee). Convenience, history, nostalgia...Disneyland is the best.

My favorite treats I had in WDW were the Grey Stuff cupcake (it's mousse on top), the Kakamora float, the $2 refills on popcorn, and the cookies at Gideon's Bakehouse in Disney Springs. We loved our dinner at Raglan Road in Disney Springs.

Pandemic Thoughts:

The mask compliance was super high. Like 97% compliance that I saw. The rule is - the mask is always on unless you're stationary and eating - whether it's on the street or in a restaurant.

Disney did an amazing job to keep people from congregating. The lines are spaced out. They have turned off pre-shows in Haunted Mansion, Tower of Terror, RnR Coaster, and Runaway Railway. (I really, REALLY missed those, but I understand why. Big stage shows, fireworks shows, and parades are all canceled. Half of the stores and food carts are closed. They open the parks early so people aren't crowded at the entrance quite so much. They added plexiglass barriers in lines where spacing cant' be down, and on some ride vehicles. Basically, anything they could do to reduce large crowds was done.

I had an amazing time, but I really missed the fireworks and big stage shows. And the preshows.

Agree with everything you shared. We took our first trip to Disney World in November. We live in Southern California and have had DL passes for 22 years! We miss it so much! Our trip to Disney World was purely out of desperation.

Me, my wife and two sons (11, 13) all went. We left feeling exactly as you described. Overall, it felt like the place could use a paint job and a pressure wash. Just not the same. (Still have nightmares about their terrible version of Space Mountain).

we went to Disneyland for the second time in Jan of 2020 and besides catching covid, it gets a 5 out of ten for us and we won't be going back. The cars rides in calif. adven. is by far the best thing there, the Matterhorn about did me in, that ride is awful! ( I probably got covid in either Santa Clara, or Hawaii, just to be clear), it's over crowded, the walkways are much to narrow, and they entire place needs a paint job and scrubbing. I do agree on the food, esp. the churros. all Disney food is overpriced and all we have found worth the money is some of the treats, at both places. Dole whip, pastries, churros, all the treats at epcot are so good. I'm pretty much a foodie, and top of the world at contemp is good, and every place you can eat at The Polynesian, the end.
I guess everyone has a different like and dislike, which is what makes us fun! loved your report.

Thank you for this review! I am looking forward to seeing DL for the first time next year (had a trip that Covid ruined) and I can't wait to see how we like it!

I am a west coaster, so DLR is my "home." Agree with just about everything you said. My DH is not a Disney fan at all, but after our trip to WDW in November, he said he preferred DL, except for FoP... he really wants that ride to come to the left coast! He also mentioned the trash in WDW... he noticed a lot, whereas, the only time he noticed trash in DL is when it was being actively cleaned up by a cast member! We're planning for DL in September!!

Having said all that, I had a FANTASTIC time in WDW and would definitely like to visit again when it's a bit back to "normal" - although I'm not looking forward to "real" crowds - if that was 35% when we were there in November, then I'm The Little Mermaid! :rotfl2:

We are huge fans of the world but enjoyed our trip to Disneyland. I always feel so immersed in the atmosphere at WDW and felt somewhat let down at Disneyland. I still felt connected to the "real" world, if that even makes sense while at Disneyland. Although I would take a day at either place at anytime!!! Thanks for the trip report.

I'm a WDW traditionalist but have become a HUGE Disneyland fan. LOVED MaxPass! In each park we road EVERYTHING twice by 3 PM and it was July. Since we were WDWers, we were there at rope drop, reserving maxpasses as soon as we could and running to lines. We must have looked like idiots to everyone else. I was like, "why is no one running around to get to ride lines." It was so relaxed and no rush to get everything done. We spent the rest of the day at the pool and restaurants/bars/Downtown Disney in the evenings. The fact that you can walk out the door of your hotel and be in the park within five minutes vs. waiting an unbelievable amount of time for transportation to the park of your choice at WDW. The only downer for me is no EPCOT or AK. The rest of my crew still prefer WDW but I think with limited time, I would choose California in a heartbeat. We are actually headed there in July but it will be interesting to see how I feel without MaxPass.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter