March 9 - 12 Report

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke07

Mouseketeer
I just returned from a relatively quick trip and thought I'd relay some observations.

Hollywood Studios gets jammed within about 30 mins of opening, get there early - I'd recommend an hour prior to opening, they let people in about 45 mins before official opening. We did 2 mornings there, got a RotR BG for both (#4 and #80), rope dropped some primaries and got out once the crowds were overwhelming. For the higher BG day, we just came back in the afternoon to get on RotR and then went to Epcot.

Found both MK and Epcot to be moderately crowded but not prohibitively so. It was notably calm in the evening. While it's tough to optimize without FP's, if you go later in the day, you should be able to accomplish much of what you'd like to. Obviously, rope-dropping remains your best bet.

Regarding masks, there are some cast members who are bit more aggressive than others (reminding you to pull it up over your nose and whatnot), but most don't seem too concerned. I typically pulled mine down on most rides and saw others doing the same, although I was called out for that on Star Tours over the loud speaker as they were monitoring it...most on the ride just laughed about it.

Happy to answer any questions!

Last edited:
Here are my questions:
1. Why did you think it was a good idea to remove your mask in a small enclosed ride where people couldn’t get up and move away from an inconsiderate person?
2. Why did you think it was funny?
3. It sounds like you are proud of yourself. Are you proud of yourself? If so, Why?
4. Knowing the mask rules well before your trip, why did you go anyway?

Here are my answers:

1. There was no one sitting near me on the ride and I actually asked the nearest person if they wouldn't mind and they smiled and said "of course not."
2. I thought it was funny because, well, it was funny and most of the rest of the people on the ride all laughed as well. It was a nice moment actually since more and more people are coming around to the absurdity of being made to wear masks. It's a common topic of conversation with people that you meet there and most are expressing their frustration.
3. I have no idea how to interpret this question.
4. I abided by the mask rules with a few exceptions when I took some time to allow myself to breathe like a normal human. Given that many others were doing the same - on Living with the Land nearly everyone on the boat pulled their mask down - I was certainly not alone.
While on line at Epcot I had a woman ask me if she wouldn't mind if her kids (about ages 4 - 10) could take their masks off and she was visibly relieved when I replied that I don't mind at all. A nice discussion ensued about the rules and our hope that they may change soon.

I'm not encouraging anyone to break any rules, but rather relaying my experience and what I witnessed at the parks.

Last edited:
Here are my answers:

1. There was no one sitting near me on the ride and I actually asked the nearest person if they wouldn't mind and they smiled and said "of course not."
2. I thought it was funny because, well, it was funny and most of the rest of the people on the ride all laughed as well. It was a nice moment actually since more and more people are coming around to the absurdity of being made to wear masks. It's a common topic of conversation with people that you meet there and most are expressing their frustration.
3. I have no idea how to interpret this question.
4. I abided by the mask rules with a few exceptions when I took some time to allow myself to breathe like a normal human. Given that many others were doing the same - on Living with the Land nearly everyone on the boat pulled their mask down - I was certainly not alone.
While on line at Epcot I had a woman ask me if she wouldn't mind if her kids (about ages 4 - 10) could take their masks off and she was visibly relieved when I replied that I don't mind at all. A nice discussion ensued about the rules and our hope that they may change soon.

I'm not encouraging anyone to break any rules, but rather relaying my experience and what I witnessed at the parks.
so then, #1 no one was sitting closer than 6ft away from you?
#2 They were laughing at you is my best guess, or they are just as obtuse
#3 not surprised

#4 the rules are the rules, no exceptions. You and people just as ridiculous as you are the reason why we keep getting surges of virus, and can't get a good strong handle on this. Plus as a former nurse, and aunt and friend of nurses still working, they are exhausted, all of them. It's views like what you have posted that are so unhelpful. Think of others please, social distance, wear your mask, wash your hands, not just when the mood strikes you, but because you are grateful for the health care professionals who are at risk each and everyday. Thank you.

Wearing a mask isn't absurd at all. It certainly does protect. I look at the fact that no one is getting colds or flus in Canada this winter... masks work. I don't mind wearing it at all if it keeps businesses open and people safe.

Wearing a mask isn't absurd at all. It certainly does protect. I look at the fact that no one is getting colds or flus in Canada this winter... masks work. I don't mind wearing it at all if it keeps businesses open and people safe.
No colds or flu: We have noticed the same thing! In fact, like Asians, as a fam we have all decided we will wear mask on planes, in movie theaters, and any enclosed, close place from now on. Missed work and school are down to small percentages due to illness in all countries that do this. In fact, we were in CA last Jan, Santa Clara second week of. and I got covid! and we always wipe planes around us down before we fly! hotel rooms etc. The one time we can't remember if we did or not was plane from atl. to CA. and observing time line, that's where I got it. I didn't know I had it until I was checked for antibodies months later! So it was here, at least, by Jan 6th which is sooner than they all agree on. I feel bad for people I might have infected before we really even knew about it.

I never gave that much though but your right. I don't know anyone who got a cold or flu this past fall / winter. My allergies are better right now also... as is my social anxiety out in public... my god can we just keep them!?

I suppose I should not be surprised that this post brought out the "mask lecturing" crowd who are still holding desperately tight to the notion that masks have an impact, when every piece of geographic data we have proves the opposite. This isn't the proper forum for this type of discussion though and it's beside the point because it's within their rights to have these rules and they're generally followed by guests.

Again...I wore a mask nearly the entire time, but noticed several people on rides pulling them down and as a respite from wearing a piece of tissue on my face in warm weather, I allowed myself to breathe a bit as well.

I suppose I should not be surprised that this post brought out the "mask lecturing" crowd who are still holding desperately tight to the notion that masks have an impact, when every piece of geographic data we have proves the opposite. This isn't the proper forum for this type of discussion though and it's beside the point because it's within their rights to have these rules and they're generally followed by guests.

Again...I wore a mask nearly the entire time, but noticed several people on rides pulling them down and as a respite from wearing a piece of tissue on my face in warm weather, I allowed myself to breathe a bit as well.
no you shouldn't have. There are many of us out here in the real world that actually listen to the science, and not the nonsense.

no you shouldn't have. There are many of us out here in the real world that actually listen to the science, and not the nonsense.

The irony here is that DW is in a state that was repeatedly bashed by the so-called "science" loving crowd for not following the "science." In reality, it never was about "science" it was about narrative and Florida with their lack of lockdowns and mask mandates actually followed the science and common sense. Now the state is booming and people are flocking away from the states that were lauded for following the "science."

I'm mentioning this not just to point out the absurdity of this person's comment, but also that it's worth noting that DW is in a place where people are generally not cowering in fear. That mentality is felt at the parks and while people follow the rules, as customers of Disney, they're also expressing the desire for the mask rule to be eased (notably for young kids).

ok, but the covid rate is bad and climbing right now, the spring breakers are the problem. Oh wait, they had to call a curfew in Miami due to infection spread, shut down restaurants, bars, etc. Perhaps you should read the news prior to anymore absurd comments. FYI, the main reason Fl is booming right now is many homes are vacation rentals from folks on Europe that haven't been able to use them in two years.
Also, this is a HUGE baby boomer retirement yr. Prices in FL. are rising, but compared to homes up north they are still pretty cheap. We are moving back to Orlando area now as we are getting old, and we have family there who complain about the lack of covid regulations on the daily. Get used to those masks , they are going to be around for a while. Ask the nurses that have been working so hard for over a yr. about how horrible it was in FL> Oh wait... I am a nurse. FL. did NOT follow science, they followed the money. Please, get it straight before you comment any more. Your premise without facts can really hurt people.

None of that is accurate and this is the problem with the "mask lecturing" crowd - a complete lack of curiosity to observe the data. The stats out of Florida are not problematic, in fact given their age demographic compared to other states, they have performed quite well without destroying their economy. Florida's cases per capita compared to the rest of the country: 28th. Twenty-seven other states higher per capita cases, and for the entire pandemic it's a similar story. Hospitalizations per capita over this time period, Florida ranks 30th. Twenty-nine other states have higher per-capita hospitalizations. Fatalities per capita for this same period, Florida ranks 42nd. Forty-one states have higher per-capita fatalities. So, well over half the country has seen much worse COVID results than in Florida. The migration maps don't lie either, people are moving en masse to Florida and Texas and that's predominantly from states like NY/Cali (the lockdown states).

Regarding spring break, the Covid doomers tried this approach after the Super Bowl and got it wrong again, just like you are now with unsupported claims about infections rising.

Bottom line: Florida got it right and Disney World is crowded right now and it's great to see like-minded people choosing to live their life and reject the narrative. Felt great to be around that.

I go to Disney and own points there because they require - have a rule - insist that people wear masks and social distance there. Regardless of whether you believe the science or are happily ignorant of it, people who are so selfish they don;t care about anyone they are exposing to a disease that KILLED 500,000 people, should either wear the mask or go somewhere else! You may not aqree with the rules and might feel they should be changed but until the rules do change you have to follow them. Disney's rules mean I am safe there and so I go. You think you are so funny breaking the rules and risking my life? On my last trip in November we also went to Universal where they were not insisting on masks nor on social distancing and my husband and I left within just a couple of hours - we refuse to endanger ourselves. I won't go back because it is not safe. I am going back to Disney within a couple of weeks and I will report anyone who is breaking the mask rule. If you don't want to wear a mask that is fine - go somewhere in Florida you don't have to wear one. Stop being rude and selfish and a rule breaker at Disney.

I go to Disney and own points there because they require - have a rule - insist that people wear masks and social distance there. Regardless of whether you believe the science or are happily ignorant of it, people who are so selfish they don;t care about anyone they are exposing to a disease that KILLED 500,000 people, should either wear the mask or go somewhere else! You may not aqree with the rules and might feel they should be changed but until the rules do change you have to follow them. Disney's rules mean I am safe there and so I go. You think you are so funny breaking the rules and risking my life? On my last trip in November we also went to Universal where they were not insisting on masks nor on social distancing and my husband and I left within just a couple of hours - we refuse to endanger ourselves. I won't go back because it is not safe. I am going back to Disney within a couple of weeks and I will report anyone who is breaking the mask rule. If you don't want to wear a mask that is fine - go somewhere in Florida you don't have to wear one. Stop being rude and selfish and a rule breaker at Disney.

THAnk you Red bud lover. I 100% agree. Great Post!

It's incredible how unhinged this topic makes people, not to mention the moral superiority it also seems to conjure. It's not worth repeating at this point, but I will one more time here...I was relaying my experience from my recent trip and while people generally follow the mask rules, there are many instances where you will see people skirting them at times. I, personally, find this understandable and admitted to engaging in this myself when others around were doing the same.

Out of curiosity, how would you have handled the scenario I mentioned when waiting in line for Frozen Ever After and a woman with young children struggling with masks, asked me if it was alright if they removed them for a bit? Lecture them about the "science" of wearing a mask outside and rule following or with a bit of sympathy?

Also, thanks for the tip on Universal - I'm heading back to Disney next month and will be sure to visit Universal if they're being reasonable about the lack of evidence supporting the effectiveness of wearing masks...outside.

Why would you even post about not wearing a mask if you knew it's going to elicit a reaction? Seems like a strange thing to brag about.

Why would you even post about not wearing a mask if you knew it's going to elicit a reaction? Seems like a strange thing to brag about.

There was no bragging, read the original post, it was the last thing I mentioned. In reading this forum there's typically a decent amount of questions about masks, so I thought it may be relevant to note what I experienced there.

I just returned from a relatively quick trip and thought I'd relay some observations.

Hollywood Studios gets jammed within about 30 mins of opening, get there early - I'd recommend an hour prior to opening, they let people in about 45 mins before official opening. We did 2 mornings there, got a RotR BG for both (#4 and #80), rope dropped some primaries and got out once the crowds were overwhelming. For the higher BG day, we just came back in the afternoon to get on RotR and then went to Epcot.

Found both MK and Epcot to be moderately crowded but not prohibitively so. It was notably calm in the evening. While it's tough to optimize without FP's, if you go later in the day, you should be able to accomplish much of what you'd like to. Obviously, rope-dropping remains your best bet.

Regarding masks, there are some cast members who are bit more aggressive than others (reminding you to pull it up over your nose and whatnot), but most don't seem too concerned. I typically pulled mine down on most rides and saw others doing the same, although I was called out for that on Star Tours over the loud speaker as they were monitoring it...most on the ride just laughed about it.

Happy to answer any questions!
A word you used in your last paragraph, “aggressive”, to describe cast members who are just doing their job, is bothering me.
These cast members would be better described as conscientious.
They wish to do what is right. They are performing their job well and thoroughly. They are doing their very best to keep all park goers and cast members safe.

A word you used in your last paragraph, “aggressive”, to describe cast members who are just doing their job, is bothering me.
These cast members would be better described as conscientious.
They wish to do what is right. They are performing their job well and thoroughly. They are doing their very best to keep all park goers and cast members safe.

The distinction is between staff that are overtly looking for offenders and reproaching them in a tone that is confrontational versus those that just lightly remind you in a friendly way that your mask may have fallen beneath your nose or whatnot.

I was not with young children but I noticed a pattern of cast members looking the other way when children clearly over the age of 2 did not have a mask on. There seems to be a running joke that all kids are 23 months old in DW (right below the 2 year mark that requires masks). If you can't sympathize with that one, then I'm not sure what to say to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter