Mardi Gras

Elaine Guidi

Elaine
I'm sure I've seen something about Mardi Gras during Feb and I think it involved Universal Studios. Can anyone tell me some more details like the dates it coveres, what it involves and your opinions.

TYIA

We were there for the last weekend of "mardi gras" this year, April 6 was the last parade!!

Patty

It basically involves a parade in which beads and coins are thrown, special food/drinks, and a featured guest band. It is included in admission and is pretty fun. It gave me something to do just about every Saturday night this last year. I'm not sure of the exact dates though...

Mardi Gras 2002 went from Feb 23 (I believe) to April 6. For the first 5 weeks it was held on Friday & Saturday evening only, and then the remaining two weeks were every evening. As previously stated, the highlight of Mardi Gras is a rather huge parade. Toward the middle of MG2002, they switched to 2 parades nightly. There's also a mainstage area in which house bands and headliner bands perform along with inhouse entertainment in the form of brightly (and scantily) costumed Court Jesters and Party Motivators. MG2002's headliner bands included Earth Wind & Fire, James Brown, Hootie & the Blowfish, Jonny Lang, 38 Special, Lynryd Skynryd, and Hank Williams, Jr. (among others). There are beads a-plenty, and lots of cajun-style food and drink specials. I'd imagine MG2003 will be around the same timeframe.

Actually the first night of Mardi Gras this year was February 8th, which also happened to be the same day as the now infamous "MG Con" in honor of Molikai Gram's visit from Hawaii!Mythos will never be the same!
It also happened to be the day of my daughter's 13th birthday and thanks to a visit to the Guest relations office we were able to ride on one of the floats throwing beads and coins to Barry, MIB99etc, MzDiz, MG, NHRenee, H2OJag & family, Kelly, RobertWalker, Rocketman, (sorry to those I've forgetten the names of) and oh yes, the rest of the people there LOL! It was a total blast!
The next night we enjoyed being on the cheering and catching side of the coins and beads and I have to admit it was just as much fun! A much safer and I am sure more enjoyable alternative to the real parade in the Big Easy!
We'll be there for MG2003!
:jester:

We got to ride a float, too. It was definately the highlight of our trip. I sent an e-mail to AP services, and gave them the dates. The day before our trip a woman called and asked if we were still interesed in riding a float, wow what a great time!!!! Hope to get back there next April, too.

Patty

Maybe a dumb question, but PLEASE tell me there WON'T be any body parts hanging out or flashing if I take my 15yr. old son!!(although he probably wouldn't mind...come to think of it, neither would my husband!!! HAHA!!) I mean it would be FINE if it were just the 2 of us,... but NOT with my son... the EMBARRASSMENT, the SHAME!!! (for me, of course) LOL!!! Now that I think about this little "shindig".... maybe me and the girls should just go and leave the hubby and son home !! Hmmmmmm???!!! Anyway, thanks for your help, either way it sounds like a LOT of fun!! :Pinkbounc

We were fortunate enough be able to ride on one of the floats last year at HHN (another one of USF other events) and was ask "PLEASE" dont encourage any of the young girls to show there ...uumm... you know.... while you throw out beads and coins to the crowds.... and we complied with that ... but we did notice if we wanted them to flash us... it sure seemed like they would have.... lol... just for silly beads.... we had a great time tho.... i'm sure Mardi Gras is much the same.... have a great time

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter