Marriott Grande Vista Questions???

Some additional comments intertwined below...

We live in Oakville...where are you from?

I can't answer all your questions but will answer the ones that I can.
1...don't know There's a mix of 2-bedroom lock-offs and dedicated 2-bedroom villas. I think that the lock-offs are located in the newest buildings on the west side of the resort - Buildings 77,78,79, 84, 85 and 86.
2...I think there was one. The kitchen has a decent supply of cookwear.
3...we had no issues with the internet. My DD was streaming some TV shows on her Ipod That wasn't always the case at Grande Vista, this resort was an early adopter of WiFi within the Marriott timeshare collection and the buildings furthest out from the center of the resort had somewhat spotty WiFi reliability. So this is good news and it seems like they may have upgraded equipment since our last visit a few years ago.
4...no game console, just a DVD player. I don't recall seeing any info in the room or the store that mentioned console rental
5...we brought a cooler to the pool every day with our own adult beverages. Many people do it. Just be VERY aware of the attack squirrels. They will jump right on you or on/into your cooler if they think there is something for them.
6...we felt very safe there even at night. I would be fine allowing 13yo's to run around the resort during the day....but not at night. I'm a little on the conservative side with things like that.Note that the basketball/tennis courts are outside of resort security (roughly across the street from the secondary entrance to the newer west side buildings). I don't think that that makes going over there less safe as the road that comes down to Grande Vista is a dedicated purpose road (there's nowhere else to go other than the resort property and golf course). You'll get a feeling for how safe the resort is pretty quickly (I've always felt that this is a secure location, though it would be great if they could keep the people with those pizza delivery flyers from carpet-bombing the resort it would be even better!)
7...the concierge desk does sell tickets but that is also where they try and get to attend the timeshare presentation.
8...I'm pretty sure that they will replenish supplies. You have booked as a hotel guest not a timeshare guest. Hotel guest do get daily housekeeping. We found everyone to be really helpful and pleasant so I would think that if you needed to ask for something they would give it to you. We stayed in a three-bedroom villa in building 80 overlooking the original central pool area once and my wife made friends with the housekeepers during our stay - they supplied her with anything she needed from their carts.

The other question you had about the pool depth....I think the very centre of the pool might be 5ft. It certainly is not deeper than that. They slope towards the middle so there really is no actual deep end. Just a small area in the middle that is the deepest.

If you have more questions just fire away. We stayed two weeks at the MGV last summer and most of that time was spent enjoying the resort activities and the pool.

Dick Taylor

Thanks! I too am from Ontario - nice to see a fellow canuk on here ;)
I have a couple more question if you don't mind answering:
1) Are all 2 bedroom units lock off's or are there some full 2 bedroom units (not too crazy about the extra door)

All of the 2BR units are lock off except for those in buildings 77, 78, 85, 86 in the West Village. Those buildings are the only ones that contain 2BR dedicated units without the extra entry. The second bedroom also has two queen beds.

2) Are there cookie sheets in the unit or should I buy a cheap one?

There should be one in the unit, usually in the drawer under the oven.

3) How is the wifi (good enough to watch something on netflix?)?

We have never had issues with wifi, but we don't stream. In most cases, resort wifi is not setup with enough bandwidth for streaming. Though some people still use it for such.

4) Do they have game consoles there to use in the rooms - even rent (xbox, PS etc)?

They don't have any in the units, though they have an activities center that has a shared one to use.

5) How do they feel about bringing small coolers of drinks to the pool so we're not running back and forth for water "water"?

Shoulnd't be a problem at all.

6) How safe does the resort feel? Can our 13 year old's be ok walking around to and from basketball area, pool etc with just each other?

The resort is pretty safe, it is set back off of I-Drive quite a way. Your 13 year olds should be fine moving about the resort on their own.

7) IS there a desk where we can purchase discounted tickets or anything? (we are thinking of going to Disney or Seaworld for 1 day)

Yes, there is a concierge desk.

8) we are hoping to limit our luggage so will they replenish the laundry soap, shampoo etc? We booked through the hotel itself (got a great Canadian resident discount deal) so I think we get free housekeeping but will they replenish that stuff?

They may or may not, you might need to ask the housekeeper for some extra stuff if you run out.

I think that's it for now.... thanks!

Thanks everyone for the info! Based on all of it and our want to be close to everything for our kids to be able to roam aroun by themselves, we have decided on requesting building 80, 81 and we're thinking about 82. Now building 82 looks to be close with a great lake location however is there a path or a way that connects to Village Center area other than walking through the paking lot? Also, are there any grills around 80 & 81? I have a map that shows a grill by 82 but I think the map is old and I read that they have added grills recently.

Thanks again everyone! 48 more days to go lol.

Thanks everyone for the info! Based on all of it and our want to be close to everything for our kids to be able to roam aroun by themselves, we have decided on requesting building 80, 81 and we're thinking about 82. Now building 82 looks to be close with a great lake location however is there a path or a way that connects to Village Center area other than walking through the paking lot? Also, are there any grills around 80 & 81? I have a map that shows a grill by 82 but I think the map is old and I read that they have added grills recently.

Thanks again everyone! 48 more days to go lol.

There's a gap between buildings 81 and 82 that includes a walkway that leads from the sidewalk in front of building 82 to the either the bridge that goes across the lake to the Plaza del Sol pool complex or over to the Village Center pool. Building 82 has a good central location with a short walk to either of the two primary pool areas.

It seems to me that there's a grill area overlooking the lake that's accessed by the walkway between buildings 82 and 83 and I think that's supposed to serve 81, 82 and 83. It doesn't seem to me that there's much space near building 80 for a grill set-up since the building is surrounded by the entrance to the resort lobby, a street, the Village Center pool complex and all of the other main amenities (store, spa, food court, etc.), but maybe they've put a grill down by the beach (doesn't seem likely but it's possible, I suppose).

Dick Taylor

I have a question about the guestrooms, not villas. Its not clear from the Marriott website, but do the guestrooms have a kitchen (stove, fridge, cookware, kitchen utensils, etc)? The villas do, but its not clear whether the guestrooms do. Thanks

I have a question about the guestrooms, not villas. Its not clear from the Marriott website, but do the guestrooms have a kitchen (stove, fridge, cookware, kitchen utensils, etc)? The villas do, but its not clear whether the guestrooms do. Thanks

Guestrooms do not have a kitchen. It's a simple hotel room with a mini fridge and microwave. Think Hilton Garden Inn set up.

As indicated, it is a mini kitchen with a bar sink, microwave, bar fridge, toaster, and coffee maker. There is a table settings for two or four. Though they would have to be washed by hand as there is no automatic dishwasher.

Hi all... me again. We'll be driving to MGV after spending 2 nights at Universal Royal Pacific Resort (RPR). I looked on google maps and if I were to take Turkey Lake road from RPR we can hit the Walmart Super Center to get groceries and odds and ends on our way to MGV. Now Walmarts where I am from are decent, however I have heard that some in the southern states can be kind of sketchy (no offence, just what I heard lol). Has anyone been to this Walmart on Turkey Lake road and will I be able to get good quality produce etc? If you know of another place along the way that would be similar to a Walmart Super Center please let me know, we only really want to make 1 stop. Also - does the Walmart have adult beverages or is there a liquor store along the way?

Thanks again.

I prefer Publix for produce and they also have liquor.

There's a smallish Publix store about a mile before Grande Vista on Central Florida Parkway (coming down Turkey Lake Road: turn left onto Central Florida Parkway and continue passed SeaWorld, continue straight staying on CFP and crossing International Drive, Publix is just ahead on the right). There's a much larger, nicer Publix a couple miles further beyond Grande Vista, at the beginning of Vineland Ave, just off International Drive.

Dick Taylor

Hi all... me again. We'll be driving to MGV after spending 2 nights at Universal Royal Pacific Resort (RPR). I looked on google maps and if I were to take Turkey Lake road from RPR we can hit the Walmart Super Center to get groceries and odds and ends on our way to MGV. Now Walmarts where I am from are decent, however I have heard that some in the southern states can be kind of sketchy (no offence, just what I heard lol). Has anyone been to this Walmart on Turkey Lake road and will I be able to get good quality produce etc? If you know of another place along the way that would be similar to a Walmart Super Center please let me know, we only really want to make 1 stop. Also - does the Walmart have adult beverages or is there a liquor store along the way?

Thanks again.

We stop at that Walmart on every trip. Its HUGE and fairly new/modern. The produce section is not humungous but it will absolutely work for a one-stop trip (Publix is your place to go for produce if you are seeking selection and quality....biggest peaches we've ever seen!!!). There's a good variety of alcohol at the Walmart too, as you are hoping.

Thanks again.

It's a pretty nice Walmart that also has a HUGE selection of Disney souvenirs.

Thanks again.
The Walmart on Turkey Lake is OK. It's VERY busy and as a result there are some empty shelves and the store is not all that clean. I've been there twice and both times it was the same experience....wall to wall people and I get what you mean by sketchy. I would go there again but prefer the one on 535. Produce is just OK....depends what you want.

There is a Publix literally right around the corner from MGV. They have better meat and produce.

Walmart only has wine and beer....no liquor. The one on the 535 has a liquor store out front.

I agree with others. The Walmart on Turkey Lake Rd is very busy. It doesn't seem to matter what time of the day. We have gone in at night when huge busloads of people were pulled in and they were shopping. They also tend to stock at night, so even if you go at night there are huge skids of product blocking the isles making it hard to navigate. However, it is a lot cheaper than Publix. Especially the one at Williamsburg Plaza.

Thanks everyone. The consensus seems to be that the Walmart on Turkey Lake road is OK, not the greatest but not terrible. I will try to map out where the Publix is as well just in case we can't get what we need. Is there another super center type place somewhere between RPR and MGV? Also is there a liquor store along the way? We are looking for vodka etc, not just beer and wine. It sounds like Walmart and Publix only have beer and wine.

Also is there a liquor store along the way? We are looking for vodka etc, not just beer and wine.

There's a Knightly Spirits liquor store at the Williamsburg Town Center on Central Florida Parkway - 5448 Central Florida Parkway - near the Publix store there. I think that that used to be a Publix liquor store but I may be misremembering.

While not exactly on the way between the Universal Studios area and Grande Vista, there's an ABC liquor store in the little shopping center where the Winn Dixie is located - corner of Lake Street and the South Apopka-Vineland Road (SR 435). And it seems to me that there's a liquor store in the same shopping center as the big Publix store on Vineland Avenue, behind a Walgreens store and near the Premium Outlets. This last shopping center is perhaps two miles beyond Grande Vista further down International Drive on the right.

Dick Taylor

Thanks to all for the great information. We sold our Disney Timeshare last year and will be our first visit since:sad:. Needed to sell with 2 daughters in HS & MS sports and just don't have the time to make it worth the money. So, we have another timeshare and switched it through Interval International to stay at MGV in July. Can't believe I found this thread with such great info.

Thanks again and keep it coming!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter