Marriott Grande Vista vs. Cypress Harbour vs. Harbour lake?

allymouse

Mouseketeer
My parents have a "use it or lose it" week available to them through their time share. So excited they are giving it to my fiance and I. We can pick from these three resorts.

We are an adult couple in our early thirties. We are looking for relaxation and a few days at Disney. I think all three are a similar drive time to the parks.

Can anyone weigh in on which resort might be better/newer/more fun for us?

Any insight to the weather in early November? I'm hoping we can get some pool time.

Any idea how much a cab to Epcot would be for when we want to drink around the world? Or is it too far to take a cab?

Are there restaurants near by any of these resorts?

Thanks... I appreciate any tips or advice :)

I've been to all three. For you I think I would recommend Grand Vista. Is is the largest, quieter, with some kids. They have a nice restaurant on site as well. CH is our favorite but a little more family oriented. Harbor lake is where you want to go with your small children. All are very nice and of high quality because they are Marriotts. There are many restaurants nearby. Weather should be great and the pools are heated. We go in February and always have a few 80+ days.

Have fun!

We have been to all 3.

CH is a great choice if a laid back feel is what you are after.

GV has a bit of an upscale feel as compared to CH. Plus it has a golf onsite if that is of any interest.

CL is the choice if you have little kids.

Weather is well weather. I have never worn pants on a nov trip, and always have hot-tubed or went in a pool that time of the year. Never cabed it from those resorts, but have from the Marriott world center (kind of around the corner) and it was $20, my guess it $30 for the above resorts.
All 3 have food available, GV is the only one I'd say has a restaurant. The others have bar food, good, but bar food. There are lots of other places to eat around there, depends on how far you wana drive.

The Vistana Resort Villas are now available. These are closer to Disney, they have a shuttle from the hotel. My stepmom told me it's a bit older than the Marriott. Any thoughts?

Thank you all for the feedback on the Marriott resorts.

Haven't been to Vistana but have been to all 3 Marriotts. I would choose Cypress Harbour. It was very nice and had all ages of people there. When we were at GV it felt more like a retirement community and we actually got yelled at to get "offa the laaaaawnnnnn!!!" because we cut across it since you have to walk alllll the way around the golf course to get to the clubhouse. Total PITA unless you want to drive the 1/2 mile to the clubhouse. There was hardly anybody there under age 60.

The Vistana Resort Villas are now available. These are closer to Disney, they have a shuttle from the hotel. My stepmom told me it's a bit older than the Marriott. Any thoughts?

Thank you all for the feedback on the Marriott resorts.

I've been to the Vistana's as well, both the resort and the villages (there are 2). Nice place but a little too large and not quite the caliber of the Marriott. I would still go with the Marriotts. GV, CH, HL, in that order.

I've stayed at GV and HL a few times. Definitely GV is more adult oriented than the other two.

A cab to GV from Magic Kingdom cost me $50 once (husband had dropped me off with the kids to meet up with our friends one day, then he was busy so we took a cab back and it was a lot!). I would recommend driving instead of using a cab.

If there is any availability for Sabal, Royal, or Imperial Palms villas, they're a lot closer to Disney so a cab ride would be a lot less - just don't know if they would pop up on II for you or not. If they did, I'd grab them.

Haven't been to Vistana but have been to all 3 Marriotts. I would choose Cypress Harbour. It was very nice and had all ages of people there. When we were at GV it felt more like a retirement community and we actually got yelled at to get "offa the laaaaawnnnnn!!!" because we cut across it since you have to walk alllll the way around the golf course to get to the clubhouse. Total PITA unless you want to drive the 1/2 mile to the clubhouse. There was hardly anybody there under age 60.

We just stayed 2 weeks at GV and the above was not at all our experience.

There were people of all ages in fact I would say it was a very middle aged crowd... BTW, 60 is not old. Yes, the resort is large but all you have to do is decide what part of the resort is most appealing amenity wise and they will assign your villa in that area. Never once did we encounter a staffer that was not extremely helpful, friendly and social.

Cypress Harbour, Grande Vista, or Sheraton Vistana are all three great choices for a couple. Cypress Harbour and Sheraton Vistana are my personal favorites, but Grande Vista is nice, too. We just returned from Sheraton Vistana and we were given a 2 bedroom on a top floor in the fountains section - it had a cathedral ceiling with a skylight and was gorgeous!

Harbour Lake is full of little kids - I wouldn't choose that one for a couple.

Grande Vista or Cypress Harbour!

Grande Vista is a large mega resort. Has 2 poolside bars, a formal restaurant, a food court, an ice cream store, and more activities. We just got home from there yesterday ;-) The resort has studios, 1 bedroom, 2 bedroom and 3 bedroom units.

We have also stayed at Cypress Harbour. There is a poolside bar and a Pizza Hut Express. Last I checked, no formal restaurant. Smaller resort but still decent sized. I like the living room and the full sized washer/dryer much better than Grande Vista. 2nd bedroom is very small, but you would not be needing the 2nd bedroom anyway. All units are 2 bedrooms.

Harbour Lake is for families with small kids.

Honestly, you cannot go wrong with either!

The three Marriotts and the Sheraton Vistana Resort are among a group of the best maintained timeshare resorts in the Orlando area (the other Sheraton and Marriotts, Hilton Grand Vacation Club resorts and the independent Cypress Pointe Resort - IMO - are also in that group of very well maintained resorts) so those are very good resorts to have to choose from. You won't find a lot of difference in 'age' as these resorts have all gone through fairly extensive refurbishment recently.

As you might imagine, timeshare resorts in the Orlando area, in general, target families. So you'll see a lot of amenities at these resorts that are appropriate for that audience. It's true that Marriott's Harbour Lake is more targeted at families with younger children because of the type of pool and water feature theme there (the villa accommodations are also a little less impressive than at other Marriotts, too) and Grande Vista tends to skew a little toward the golf crowd - at least in terms of owners there - and what about the person who said they were yelled at for walking on the grass??, were they actually cutting across the golf course, lol? But when we've been at Grande Vista the cross-section of guests has been quite broad - the Plaza del Sol pool area has a section that's specifically targeting young children. Grande Vista does feature several on-site eating options including a sit-down restaurant at the golf clubhouse (somewhat limited menu but it's nice). And there's a nice bar/grille area at Plaza del Sol called Copa Loca in addition to food options at the marketplace store and nearby Pizza Hut Express at the Village Center pool area. Cypress Harbour is my family's favorite of the three Marriotts - and also the oldest of the three in terms of original build. Like our experiences at Grande Vista, we've found this resort to have a broad cross-section of guests. It's a little smaller than Grande Vista and the setting seems more old Florida-like because of the mature landscaping there - nice place to relax. Food options are limited to the Pizza Hut express/Galley Grill/Marketplace Store that are above the main Clubhouse pool area and next to the Pavilion Bar and check-in building. I'd guess $25 - $30 for a taxi from these to Epcot.

A drawback for all of these Marriotts is that there are no off-resort restaurants that are in truly walkable distance from them. Cypress Harbour and Harbour Lake are on Westwood Boulevard in the SeaWorld neighborhood, Grande Vista is tucked off from International Drive - also roughly in the SeaWorld neighborhood - but a ways away from restaurants.

Sheraton's Vistana Resort is on Apopka-Vineland Road, closer to Disney property than the Marriotts on your list. This is one of the largest timeshare resorts in the Orlando area (I think that only Orange Lake Resort in Kissimmee is larger) and was the site of our first Orlando timeshare resort vacation back in the 1990s. Nice resort that recently underwent significant refurbishment in each of the sections so it was like-new coming out of that work. This is also a family-oriented resort with lots of children's activities and tends to skew a little younger than Cypress Harbour and Grande Vista, I think. There are several restaurant options within a mile of this resort (Santa Fe Cattle Co, Lone Star Steakhouse, Landry's Seafood, Bahama Breeze, Golden Corral, maybe a few others) but most of them are at least 3/4 of a mile away. There's a CiCi's Pizza, Wendy's, Starbucks and likely a couple of others that are a bit closer to the resort.

All-in-all, good choices in terms of the resorts that you're looking at so you likely won't have any regrets with any of them.

Dick Taylor

Thank you for all of the excellent feedback. In the end we decided on Vistana Resort Villas, if only because it's a bit closer to Disney. Also, my parents own at Sabal (not available for this particular deal from II) so we will be close to the World Center where we'd like to go and spend an evening.

Got a great deal on a car with Alamo, now I'm just counting down the days!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter