Masters of Magic show?

TedO

Mouseketeer
Looking to do something a little different this trip and saw that the Masters of Magic show opened last summer in Orlando on I-Drive. Just wondering if anyone has been there and what they thought of it?
Thanks for any info you might have.
Ted

I saw it last week and liked it a lot.

It's a Vegas-style show that is mostly large-scale illusions, with some up-close magic thrown in for good measure. They say that the only other magic show with more big tricks is in Vegas itself.

The sawing-the-lady-in-half trick is truly amazing - best I've ever seen.

Kelly,
Thanks for the input - sounds like it might be worth a look for us.

Dawn and Dreamer,
It is not a dinner show. It is a 90 minute magic show held at 6:30 and 9:00 Wednesday thru Sunday. There is a 3:30 matinee on Sundays and it is dark on Monday and Tuesday.
The price is $29.95 for adults and $19.95 for kids 4 - 12 (kids under 4 are free). There are some good prices available at TicketMania ($20 for adults and $13 for kids) and Florida Orlando Tickets ($19 for adults and $13 for kids). They are located at 8815 International Drive near Sand Lake Road (Exit 29 off I-4). Their website is www.mastersofmagic.net.
Hope this helps,
Ted

Here's my write up of Masters of Magic from the forthcoming revised edition of "The Other Orlando." I'll be including it in the dinner attractions chapter.

MofM is a sorta dinner show as explained below:

Masters of Magic Show
8560 International Drive, Orlando 32819
(407) 352-3456
www.mastersofmagic.net

Prices: Adults $29.95, children (4 to 12) $19.95. Prices do not include optional dinner at a nearby restaurant.
Times: Wednesday through Sunday, 6:30 and 9:00 p.m. Box office open 2:00 to 9:00 p.m.
Directions: On the east side of I-Drive between the Mercado and Pointe*Orlando shopping centers.

Las Vegas-style entertainment comes to Orlando in the shape of Typhoon Lou and his razzle-dazzle extravaganza of large-scale magic tricks. Indeed, you’d have to travel to Vegas to see more major illusions in a single show. There are other magic shows in the Orlando area, but none can touch this one for sheer size and show-biz spectacle.

Backed by a cadre of four beautiful gals and two hunky guys, Typhoon Lou performs one jaw-dropping stunt after another. He has himself hoisted aloft on a roaring Harley in a steel cage and when the cage collapses both he and the Harley disappear, but Lou instantly reappears in the audience. In another extended bit, he unfolds a small box, has one of his lovely assistants step in, and then refolds the box to its former size, and just for good measure runs it through with a few swords. Not only does the girl reemerge at the end of the trick, she does so in a new outfit. Later he performs a variation on the girl-sawed-in-half trick that is quite simply the best I have ever seen. Lou intersperses the major illusions with charming close-up magic featuring audience volunteers. In my favorite bit, he pours six different beverages from the same milk carton, which he hands into the audience for close-up inspection lest you think it contain separate compartments for the various liquids.

This is a major production. Running one and a half hours with intermission, it features great choreography and some of the best dancing to be seen in Orlando. The set elements and costumes are also first-rate. And Typhoon Lou himself is a genial and affable master of ceremonies who uses his Native American and Hawaiian roots to disarming effect.

The theater seats 210 in nightclub style at long tables, with every seat facing the stage. Soft drinks and snacks are available and a beer and wine license is in the works. In the lobby, you can buy magic tricks and books on the magician’s art, as well as meet Lou and his crew after the show. The dinner part of the equation comes in the form of a discount offered by nearby Tony Roma’s restaurant to those showing ticket stubs from the show. More restaurant choices may be available when you visit.

Kelly,
Thanks for the great write up - I think we will give it a try. Do you remember what kind of discount you get to Tony Roma's? Also, thinking about trying a dinner show that we haven't been to yet and were debating between either Capone's or Sleuths Mystery Dinner Theater. Based on your guide, it sounds like Sleuths may be the best bet for a family of 4 (2 kids - ages 12 and 15)?
Thanks again,
Ted

The Tony Roma's deal is that you get a meal for $10 with a limited choice of entrees. The waitress talked us into a discount on the full menu, saying that it would work out about the same, but it didn't.

The dinner/discount deal is still a work in progress, apparently. They are in discussions with some other nearby restaurants and may fine-tune the deal with Tony Roma's. So what's on offer may change by the time you visit.

Sleuths is MUCH better than Capone's. MurderWatch at the Grosvenor is also quite good (better food, too) but that's only on Saturday.

Kelly,
Thanks again for your advice. We have other plans for the Saturday we will be in town, so won't be able to make it to Murderwatch. Too bad its only on Saturdays - guess it will be Sleuths for us this year. Maybe we can give Murderwatch a try next year.
Ted

This sounds like something we would really like to do. Now for the dumb question. Where would I find ticket mania or florida orlando tickets? Are they on I-drive too?

By the way, thanks for all this info.

Thank you so much. Just ordered my tickets. YIPPEE!!!! 13 days to go:bounce:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter