MAY 2013 - PTR....hooray!!!

Well Busy Busy, I can't even wait till we come back to plan my next trip.

WDW late October 2014. Approx 10 nights AoA in a family suite, then maybe a few nights at the Nick hotel. Doing Halloween party and maybe Christmas party too!!!

I really need to get a life:hippie:

Hi Busy Busy :wave2: I'm lurking around soaking in ideas for a 2014 North American White Christmas/Disney World New Year and decided to sub into your PTR so I can dream as you plan.

I'd like to do a few days in NYC but DH doesn't. He went (years ago) and doesn't want to go again. Our eldest DD plans on going to stay with a friend of hers for a couple of weeks this year. She probably wont come on our next trip :sad: but I would love to take the other DD's to NYC. Maybe some ideas that would entice DH. Places to stay, places to eat for a family of 4 that wont completely use up our budget?

BTW congrats on your son making the final. Sad they didn't win. As a Shireite I always love to hear Sutherland teams doing well. I'm also a cricket fan and and DH has always played and coached. One of the few regrets in not having a son is that I haven't had the pleasure of sitting all day in the blazing heat or drizzling rain with the scoreboard on my lap. Seriously. We tried to get the girls interested at various times but to no avail. The closest we have come is that our DD2 has a friend from school who plays. He just made the Australian Under 18 team. DH and I are quite encouraging but apparently he's just a "friend".

Looking forward to hearing more about your trip.

Hi OziJo, we really do love cricket, and DH is a pom - so the competition in the house is crazy when the Ashes are on!! We even took our son to Lords for a cricket lesson when we were visiting the in-laws in 2009. I still get teary when I think about it - truly an amazing day!! :):):):):)

As for NYC, how long has it been since your DH was there? Things change so much all the time there, so maybe he needs to get back there to check it out again!! This will be my 4th time to NYC, and the 3rd time for the kids (15 and 8). They are just as excited about NYC as anywhere else we are going - and I love that, because I could move there tomorrow - I think about NYC EVERY day!!

We have stayed at the Belvedere Hotel (just DH and I), the Doubletree Times Square twice with the kids (gorgeous, but expensive), and this time we will be at the Salisbury Hotel on W57th Street. My friend stayed there with her family (DH & 3 daughters) last year and they loved it. It's a lot cheaper than the Doubletree, so we have booked it. It's got a bedroom, living room and small kitchenette with a sink, small fridge and microwave - perfect.

I'm just happy wandering the streets in NYC, but there is so much to do - and a lot of it doesn't cost a lot. The museums and Central Park are free (or a small donation), and just walking around is amazing. The Staten Island Ferry is free and you get such great views of the Statue of Liberty and Manhattan Island. This time we will go back to the Top of the Rock observation deck - great views plus you get the gorgeous Empire State Building in your photos, the 9/11 memorial is free (it had just opened last time we were there and was booked out, so we will do it this time). The red bus tours give you such great info and are worth the $$.

We ate every morning at a diner right near the Doubletree for under $30 for 4 of us (so much food), and there are so many places to eat that don't cost a lot. AND - I have always felt so safe in NYC - we have traveled on the subway and walked all over the place at all hours of the day and night and never felt even slightly worried. You need to get your DH to agree to going - there is nowhere like it!! :cloud9:

Enough raving (I could go on for 40 more pages!!). Less than 3 months for us now - I'm going to be jumping out of my skin soon!! :yay::yay:

Oh I have just spent the four days in NEw York, and haven't stopped thinkjng about how I can get back.

I loved that we took our kids there, but I would like to go back without them, cause its really hard to soak it all up, as the mum, you are always concerned about everyone else!!
I could even go there solo!

Solo works for me too!! I have almost a whole day to myself there in May. DH is taking the kids to a NY Red Bulls game, and I have my entire day planned from about 10am to 5pm......I'll be very happy to have them come back after the game, but in the mean time I'm going to soak up every second!! :goodvibes

We are also planning an adults only trip with our amazing friends for our 50th birthdays (I am relieved to say that trip is a loooooong way away)!! I'm already planning that one, NYC, Niagara Falls, Boston, Lancaster County, St Barts and Las Vegas....roll on 2019!!! :rotfl:

Ooooh - can I join that -I am one year ahead -(late in the year) but DH is a 69er!

I'm actually a November '68 baby - but we'll probably travel after the BIG birthday!!

PS...congrats on the younger man!! ;) ;)

Yeah it's only 3 months, I am October, he is January!

I wonder how we will celebrate??? I don't want to think about being 50!

Well I'm convinced that NYC is a must. I like the sound of the Salisbury. Anything with a kitchenette is a bonus for us. I'm taking notes here and will start to convince DH. Our trip is still a ways away but I'm sure that when it comes time to book a few days in NYC will be a given :goodvibes

Well done!! I might have to come along to be a tour guide!! I love talking about NYC - maybe there is a NYC-boards!!

I had a lovely customer this morning, she was telling me all about her upcoming holiday in May. NYC, Orlando, Vegas - just like us. In fact, they'll be in Orlando for 3 days when we are there!! We talked about hotels, etc. and I asked where in Orlando they are staying (her, hubs, DD15, DS11 & DS9)....she said the Staybridge Suites, because it was close to everything. OK, I asked if they have a shuttle to the WDW parks......and she said.......

"Oh, we watched a video about DisneyWorld and decided that we wouldn't like it, so we're not going there...." :scared1::scared1::scared1::scared1::scared1:

I almost fell over!! She truly thinks that it's just a castle - I did my best fellow Disney lovers - but "it's just not for us" she said!!! I'm still shaking my head at the fact that they won't be able to scream and laugh together on Big Thunder, Splash and Space Mountains, or try to beat each others scores on Toy Story.

They made me think of Kramer on Seinfeld when Jerry tells him to go outside and he says "New York City? There's nothing out there for me"!! I hope they change their minds when they get there!

So what are they going there for?

I have a friend who did that - thought the kids were too old for Disney! :(

My hubs said the same thing...why even bother with Orlando??

Too old for Disney - wait until you all see a pic of my husband on his 45th birthday at the Crystal Palace breakfast - he'll be wearing a birthday badge and having an amazing time!!

I wonder what the video was that they watched - maybe it was made by the people behind Universal Studios!!! ;). The more I think of it the more stupid thoughts come into my head - we're not going up the Empire State Building because it's too tall, Times Square is too busy, the Dumb Luck Coconut Shrimp (YUM!) at Bubba Gump is too shrimpy (and dumb and lucky and coconutty)! Why travel..?? :confused3

Enough ranting - she was a really nice lady - oh well!!

Grrrrr....it's raining and my clothesline is full of washing - why didn't I see THAT video?!

We didn't do any character meals in WDW as my family thought they were above that - I have regret and am insisting we do one in Japan!! and everyone is under strict instructions to behave!!!!!!

though without the ability to make ADR's I am counting on a lucky walk up!!,

I had a lovely customer this morning, she was telling me all about her upcoming holiday in May. NYC, Orlando, Vegas - just like us. In fact, they'll be in Orlando for 3 days when we are there!! We talked about hotels, etc. and I asked where in Orlando they are staying (her, hubs, DD15, DS11 & DS9)....she said the Staybridge Suites, because it was close to everything. OK, I asked if they have a shuttle to the WDW parks......and she said.......

"Oh, we watched a video about DisneyWorld and decided that we wouldn't like it, so we're not going there...." :scared1::scared1::scared1::scared1::scared1:

I almost fell over!! She truly thinks that it's just a castle - I did my best fellow Disney lovers - but "it's just not for us" she said!!! I'm still shaking my head at the fact that they won't be able to scream and laugh together on Big Thunder, Splash and Space Mountains, or try to beat each others scores on Toy Story.

They made me think of Kramer on Seinfeld when Jerry tells him to go outside and he says "New York City? There's nothing out there for me"!! I hope they change their minds when they get there!

I read this the other day and couldn't reply but have been thinking about it. For some reason it makes me really sad. To think that someone would go all the way to Orlando and not do Disney.

We can't imagine this kind of thinking at our house. My girls are getting older but they still want to go back. And they still talk about the Crystal Palace Character Breakfast. I'm so glad we did it though we might not have if we hadn't had free dining because they were older. When we go back free dining or not we will do it again. :goodvibes

It IS really sad - I just hope that once they have been to Kennedy Space Centre and Universal Studios and end up bored with 6 days left - that they might give WDW a try!!

Anyway, we had free dining in 2011 too - completely fabulous! I booked a lot of places that I might not have booked if we were paying OOP - and we also cancelled a few in the end because we were either too tired or too full!!! Crystal Palace was one that we loved and so we are headed back there and paying up - all at DH's insistence. Well, it will be his birthday so we'll go wherever he wants! :lovestruc

We will be hiring a car for 6 of the 13 days that we are at POR, so we are planning to head out of the Disney "bubble" and go to International Drive to eat a few times - does anybody have any suggestions??

I will post the reservations that I have already made - that way you can all tell me whether you think I'm crazy or not!! :crazy2:

PS....12 weeks from today and we'll be half way to LA!! :hyper::hyper::hyper:

Sounds like a fantastic trip! Not long now, those last 3 months fly by!

I can't believe people go all the way from down under to Orlando and not do WDW. Just can't get my head around it.

We will be hiring a car for 6 of the 13 days that we are at POR, so we are planning to head out of the Disney "bubble" and go to International Drive to eat a few times - does anybody have any suggestions??

I really enjoyed Cuba Libre though it is a bit on the pricey side. There's actually a lot of dining options at Pointe Orlando it's still touristy because it is near the Convention Center.
I'm very found of the House of Blues which is in the bubble but not really.

If you want to get out in suburbia, Orlando neighbourhood - Summerlin Avenue and Washington Street. Down by Lake Eola is reportedly a bit South Beach without the beach (I think that may mean it's a bit gay) I didn't actually get up there, because these were all recommendations from the waiter to the couple next to me the last night I was in Orlando.

www.wildsidebbqorlando.com/ (there's also one in Kissimmee now)
www.anthonyspizza.com/
If you street view 500 E Washington St, Orlando, FL, United States on google maps you can see the lake
www.dexwine.com‎

Hi,

There is a facebook group I joined, it's for people who are going to WDW in May. It's almost all American people and I haven't posted anything yet, I mainly joined just to see what other people who will be there at the same time as us are up to. :)

I pop on there every now and then, and they seem so intense about making autograph books, wearing matching t-shirts, making dresses that match each park for their daughters, creating envelopes with Minnie bows on them for the mouse-keeper's tips, AND making thank you cards in advance for cast members. :confused3

Hmmm - do some of these people have too much time on their hands - or am I just a cranky ***** who has been at work since 7.00am?!?! I can only imagine my DH and DS15's reactions if I pulled out matching t-shirts!! :rotfl:

Do any of you do stuff like this?

PS....81 days - YIKES!! :cloud9:

:rotfl2::rotfl: :lmao:

Aussie blokes in matching hand screened printed Disney t-shirts? My DH would cancel our trip and send my for counseling if I suggested it :crazy2::crazy2: And there's no way I would get my girls into matching outfits even when they were younger.

I just skim the crafty talk. Carting around bespoke autograph books? :confused3 Decorated envelopes with beautifully handwritten "Thank Yous'" in gold framed copperplate calligraphy :idea: Not that there's anything wrong with that but you know each to their own.

No the most I ever got from these discussions is the idea of sorting Mousekeeping tips into envelopes. I liked that idea for organisational purposes and actually did this... for the first couple of days. Then I just left a fiver next to the phone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter