MAY 2015 Car Rentals

I just rechecked May 1-9 on Alamo using the Costco and Visa codes, and it's up to $308 for a minivan from the $212 that I got around a month ago. I think I got lucky and was able to get a pretty decent rate without having to spend hours and days stalking the web for the best deal, I'm pretty happy with that rate for 8 days plus a couple of hours in a minivan. I've just checked sporadically since, mostly our of curiosity, and its always been more. So thanks so much for the great codes i got from thread!!

You should have checked yesterday. I watched the prices steadily drop from $220 per week down to $180 per week throughout the day. That was searching Carrentalsavers. They went back up overnight.

You should have checked yesterday. I watched the prices steadily drop from $220 per week down to $180 per week throughout the day. That was searching Carrentalsavers. They went back up overnight.

We did start yesterday (last night anyway). Found a minivan through e-z for less, but by the time we add an additional driver (he is going to be working from the hotel at times so he and I both need to be able to drive it), it wasn't much savings to go through a place we don't know. Anyone rented through them? We love it that we can go straight to our vehicle with Alamo, Hertz, and Budget. Can you do that with E-Z?

Our rate is actually $166 a week, but our rental period is 8 days and 2 hrs. So that extra day and hours, plus the fees and taxes brought it to $212.

We are leaving next Tuesday so I decided to check one more time and this morning got my 9 day rental (7 passenger minivan) down to $241 all in using the Costco and Visa codes. I'm actually happy with this rate, but I'll keep checking right up until Monday. Our dates are April 28-May 7. This is with Alamo.

We are leaving next Tuesday so I decided to check one more time and this morning got my 9 day rental (7 passenger minivan) down to $241 all in using the Costco and Visa codes. I'm actually happy with this rate, but I'll keep checking right up until Monday. Our dates are April 28-May 7. This is with Alamo.

That's awesome! I have checked all the way up till the day before and once the cheapest was two days before and another it was about 5 days before.

Except for our Easter week and Thanksgiving week trips, I always have booked the best rate within a week of our trip. I usually start about 2 months out with a "safety" reservation and then check every few days. About 2 weeks out I start getting obsessive, checking a few times a day. Right now I have a Minivan for 7 days 5 hours at $225 all in which I can live with, but hoping to lower that closer to our trip at the end of May.

Last Sept, we were able to get a Minivan through Alamo for $160 for 11 days and 6 hours the day before we left. It just kept coming down little by little.

Last Sept, we were able to get a Minivan through Alamo for $160 for 11 days and 6 hours the day before we left. It just kept coming down little by little.
Wow, that's cheap for almost anything in my experience, let alone a minivan! I'm happy with my $212 for 8 days 2 hrs.

Wow, that's cheap for almost anything in my experience, let alone a minivan! I'm happy with my $212 for 8 days 2 hrs.
I would be happy with that too! I think the fact that it was in the middle of September helped a lot. We have also gotten smaller cars (when just the two of us travel) for between $60-80 for a week. It is just from stalking the sites. I prepaid one time and ended up having our rate drop so much it was worth it to pay the cancel fee. I won't do prepay again just because of that.

a little freaked out right - I have to have an 8 passenger mini van - Alamo is the only one that I have found that has one. I have a good price (I think) 255.20 for 5/2-5/9 but I was looking today to see if it might have come down - Alamo isn't even posting the 8 passenger van for rent. Other days it is there but my days it is completely off the rental page. Has anyone ever had that happen before?

a little freaked out right - I have to have an 8 passenger mini van - Alamo is the only one that I have found that has one. I have a good price (I think) 255.20 for 5/2-5/9 but I was looking today to see if it might have come down - Alamo isn't even posting the 8 passenger van for rent. Other days it is there but my days it is completely off the rental page. Has anyone ever had that happen before?
It means that it's sold out for your days. Wait and it might come back available. You have a reservation so you should be good though.

I don't think they have many available. We had one rented once, but ended up going with a 7 passenger because it dropped low. When we were down there, they only had half a dozen 8 passenger to the row upon row of the 7 passenger.

I have one rented for 5/3 - 5/9, for $256.23. Maybe the extra day makes a difference in what's available, and they have more being dropped off on the 3rd than they do on the 2nd. I don't know if it makes a difference, but I'm picking up at MCO and dropping off at TPA.

I look multiple times a day, and the price moves all over the place. Yesterday it showed the price as $256 for a few hours before it went way back up again. It's almost like you have to "catch it" when it's low. I snagged it at about 6 weeks out (and the price seemed more stable then), but I'm continuing to watch it. That said, I'm not expecting it to get much lower.

Alamo is showing a rental for 8 days for $110 - a pick up truck! 4 passenger Ram 1500! Great rate, but not too sure I am interested in renting a pick up truck! Assuming there in no cover to protect your luggage if it is raining?

Does anyone know why foreigners are able to rent cars for cheaper rates at Alamo than US or Canadian residents?

I can go to the Alamo UK site and reserve a car for better weekly rates including CDW and EP.

Are we simply getting screwed?

I've been busy booking for two trips.

Mine from 6/5 early a.m. to 6/13 and my mom, and sister's, from 5/28 late to 6/9. Best rate I found for their trip was also the Ram truck for about $390. Today the rates for cars finally came down and I got them an Economy for $330/12 days. YEAH! Used the VISA code, includes $15 off.

My best deal so far (same codes) is Compact for $178/8 days. Both prices are complete. I usually pick between Alamo and Dollar but Alamo is my preference. They charge way less if you go thru cash-less tolls. :)

The rate I got in October from Dollar for my May trip is still the best one I've seen. Am using Alamo so far for early September with my sister-in-laws Costo discount plus the Visa code. We needed the second driver thing, and Costo's code gives you one for free.

Alamo and Dollar first week of May rates should drop sometime today or tomorrow (historically....the last minute specials) althoug I haven't seen that happening as often as in the past.

I've been busy booking for two trips.

Mine from 6/5 early a.m. to 6/13 and my mom, and sister's, from 5/28 late to 6/9. Best rate I found for their trip was also the Ram truck for about $390. Today the rates for cars finally came down and I got them an Economy for $330/12 days. YEAH! Used the VISA code, includes $15 off.

My best deal so far (same codes) is Compact for $178/8 days. Both prices are complete. I usually pick between Alamo and Dollar but Alamo is my preference. They charge way less if you go thru cash-less tolls. :)

Do you go often? I ordered the portable transponder for SunPass. No more stopping!!

Fyi-Just got an accepted Priceline bid for a Mid-size car at $11 a day, May 8-16, pick up Orlando Airport. Total $161 with taxes and fees.

That is a good deal. Good for you!! I've been checking very often today for Alamo's "last minute specials" and nothing so far. I am lucky I got what I did for my May trip back in October. Dollar has not dropped yet either for the first week in May. What is up with that? I guess we all need to stalk our favorite rental sites 12 months out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter