May 2020 Car Rental Watch

I am also curious because I used it and now I'm nervous it won't be valid when I go to get my rental
I'm going to ping some of those Diser's in the February thread to see if they had any issue using that code. I'll let you know what they say. There are already some responses of page 4 of that thread that indicated they had no issue.

To be honest, the fact that you can go straight to your car as a preferred member makes me less nervous. Once you drive car to exit gate all they are interested in is the credit card you made reservation with, drivers license, and printed rental agreement with barcode. Inside at the counter they might mess with you, but not at the exit gate they won't. At the gate they don't ask you for proof of affiliations (Costco, Southwest, Mastercard etc). They are not going to tie up the exit gate if renter doesn't have the right "membership" card handy.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/february-2020-car-rental.3782288/page-4

Last edited:
Prices are still high. I have mid SUV May 18-27 through Costco for 421.00. I have never paid this much for a rental car and normally prefer Alamo. Hoping prices come down.
Down to 413.00

I’ve only just started looking for my trip. Prices are high, but they were high in January as well so I guess I’m not surprised. Need a full size or larger 5/2-5/13. Really hope they drop over the next two months.
Those are my dates also. I prefer a full size but I am okay with any sedan. So I'll be interested to know if you find any great deals!

Just a heads up. Alamo Costco code 7014627 is now directing users to a verification screen where you enter your Costco number before you see rental prices. I entered my number, but the transition from the verification screen to the rental screen was very wonky. Several times I got a red line across top of screen that indicated an "Error had occurred." It made me wonder if the deal was even being applied. And then a couple other times I just continued past the verification screen without entering my Costco number and it still worked. Maybe they are getting so much volume this year on that code they decided to add that verification screen on the front end.

Last edited:

Just a heads up. Costco code 7014627 is now directing users to a verification screen where you enter your Costco number before you see rental prices. I entered my number, but the transition from the verification screen to the rental screen was very wonky. Several times I got a red line across top of screen that indicated an "Error had occurred." It made me wonder if the deal was even being applied. And then a couple other times I just continued past the verification screen without entering my Costco number and it still worked. Maybe they are getting so much volume this year on that code they decided to add that verification screen.
With Costco on Alamo I’ve always had to enter my membership number when I get to the personal info screen so maybe they are having you do it before that screen now.

I just booked a towncar as a back up. With tip it would now be about $150 cheaper than paying for a rental and parking at the resort.

Just a heads up. Costco code 7014627 is now directing users to a verification screen where you enter your Costco number before you see rental prices. I entered my number, but the transition from the verification screen to the rental screen was very wonky. Several times I got a red line across top of screen that indicated an "Error had occurred." It made me wonder if the deal was even being applied. And then a couple other times I just continued past the verification screen without entering my Costco number and it still worked. Maybe they are getting so much volume this year on that code they decided to add that verification screen on the front end.

Is that on the Costco site? Because I'm not seeing where you enter a code????

I lowered my rate slightly to 377.92 through costco From 5/2 - 5/11. That’s still high. I check everyday and the rates have hardly moved.

Is that on the Costco site? Because I'm not seeing where you enter a code????

No, that's if you use the Costco discount code on the Alamo site. If you book it thru Costco, you just use your costcotravel credentials, which is linked to your membership number. The Costco site builds in the discount code, which is the same one that you use if using the Alamo site.

I just had my first drop since I started watching a few weeks ago. $395 for a standard (really full size) through Alamo for 5/2-5/13. It’s so much higher than I’d like to pay but I’m finally under $400.

I just was able to drop my rental from 377 to 342 today on Costco (5/2 - 5/11). Hopefully the prices keep going down.

Wow, rates are high. I'm not even going to bother booking anything yet, as the prices will come way down (and yes, they will).
@richmo, in your experience, how far in advance do rates usually drop? I'm now within two months of my trip, and prices still look really high.

@richmo, in your experience, how far in advance do rates usually drop? I'm now within two months of my trip, and prices still look really high.

It varies and every year seems to have different behavior. If I had to generalize, I'd say that the rate drops usually happen in the last 3 weeks prior to the rental date and go right up to the day of. One time DW went to FLL and I changed her reservation while she was inflight as it went lower. There's just so many variables...and I'll stick with my usual strategy of booking something non-binding once I know my trip, then keep checking. Since all of us are looking at May, I'd probably check every day or so about now, then get a little more serious about it starting early April. I'll also add that if looking at a non-standard car class (i.e., minivan, premium car, etc.), none of the "rules" apply...same could be true if part of your trip spans Memorial Day weekend.

Honestly it seems like rates stay higher longer every year. I just booked my mini van through Budget (Costco) from 5/16 - 5/23 for $365 and it includes a $30 costco shop card. Last year, it looks like I got my best/final rate on 4/28 for my 5/18 trip. My mini van rental was $218 through Alamo (Costco) last year.

Daisy, I've have had some really good success over a number of years trying the rental very early in the morning on the weekends. I don't think it's a whim either because it has worked for me at least 5-6 years. Not a sure thing...but it has already worked again for me this year. In Feb I checked rates around 5:30am on Sunday morning and got a $400 deal for Midsize SUV for 11 days. Within an hour or so that same rental was back up to $506 and it is still at that rate now. I used 7014627 / AU2291VYT. It's worth a try if you're an early riser.

Even though I'm going in Mid May. I have been testing the codes for earlier dates (March-April) to see if they are more reasonable for closer trip dates and they aren't that great so I'm not holding out a lot of hope that they are going to come down too much for May.

Last edited:
Daisy, I've have had some really good success over a number of years trying the rental very early in the morning on the weekends. I don't think it's a whim because it has worked for me at least
5-6 years. Not a sure thing but it has already worked again for me this year. In Feb I checked rates around 5:30am on Sunday morning and got a $400 deal for Midsize SUV for 11 days. Within an hour or so that same rental was back up to $506 and it is still at that rate now. I used 7014627 / AU2291VYT. It's worth a try if you're an early riser.
Thanks for the tip! Also, I wonder if the rates are as good at those same times on weekdays. Have you tried that too?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter