May/June 2001 Trip -- Part 11: Moderator Party at Pete’s

WebmasterBarry

DIS Veteran
May 26, 2001

The cast:
Me (the 29-year old)
…and many board moderators!

May is the anniversary of the DIS and Pete Werner decided to throw the moderators a party. The party was a thank you for all the hard work we do. Sometimes it is tough, but most of the time it is pretty rewarding. It’s good to get a thanks from a visitor that you made their vacation more special. It’s also good someone won’t make some of the same mistakes I did! The party was also a chance to meet the other moderators. I’ve met some of them, but I only know most of them from their online persona.

Rhonda did the driving to Pete’s in her Rhondamobile (her rental car). I might as well tag along with someone. Imagine if each moderator drove his or her own car. Pete’s lawn would be full and have lots of tire tracks at the end of the day! Rhonda drove while I read off the directions Pete gave us. We didn’t get lost, which was pretty amazing. I was afraid that we would end up on the wrong side of the train tracks.

We found Pete’s place. We knew that we had arrived at the right house since there were about 20 cars parked in front and down the street. We entered and I started meeting moderators left and right. I don’t know how many hands I shook, but I think I shook everyone’s! Pete has quite a nice house. It’s full of Disney memorabilia (I wonder why?). Pete’s cat is named Figaro and he is big! I don’t know what he feeds his pet!

Pete had caterers come in for an open bar and food. Open bar? That means full dibs on the Coronas! I thought that I would have to carry some people back to their hotels! He also set up a few computers where we could check the boards. The moderators just cannot stay away from the boards! Ummm…sweet, delicious boards… Whoa, anyway…

Then I met her…the Partner in Crime…Robinrs! It was finally good to meet someone who you’ve made fun…er…worked with on the boards. She was laughing and smiling when I met her. In fact, I think she was like that the entire night. I did not see her frown once. She is an energetic lady!

I must admit that I’m not very comfortable around these social gatherings. I never know what to say. I don’t have too many small talk stories. I would be relieved if Pete broke out Twister, but I tried to make due. I would sort of blend in with a crowd and laugh at the jokes. Now if we communicated with each other in chat, I can get real talkative. Maybe Pete should have networked some more computers for chat!

If anything else, the party was a good chance to meet everyone. Now when I read a moderator’s post, I read it and hear the voice in my head. It’s like in the movies when someone reads a letter and you can hear the person who wrote it in the background. That’s what I do now to the posts when I’ve met someone.

Pete fed us a delicious catered dinner. After dinner, he made a toast with some rather bad tasting champagne and we ate some desert. Rhonda and I left around 8:00. We had to stop by Publix because Scottie wanted some beer and a cooler. I had considered going to Sea World to see the new Shamu night show and the fireworks, but we arrived back and Universal at around 9:00 and the park closed at 10:00. There was no way I could do that tonight.

Rhonda parked at the Hard Rock Hotel and I headed to the parking lot for my car. I drove it to the Portifino Bay parking lot. When I stayed here previously, the card reader for the gate had a hard time reading my key. This time, I pushed and pulled it out quickly and it would not read. Then I found out a trick. I put my card in slowly, pushed down a bit on the card, and pulled the card out slowly. That opened the gate!

I took my bags to my room and showered. I found two neat surprises in the room. The bathroom had a volume switch. You could hear the TV from speakers in the bathroom. Not only is the bathroom really big, you can also hear the morning news while you shower. After the shower, I opened the windows to see my view. I was supposed to have a garden view, but it turned out to be a pool view! I did see a few trees. I wanted to say something, but somehow I “forgot” to complain.

Then I wandered around Portifino Bay to get some night shots. It was around 11 pm, so the hotel seemed deserted. I did see a security person sitting on the bench. He looked kind of bored. I returned to my room and fell asleep at around 1 am.

Tomorrow we do early entry at Universal Studios and meet Dan Murphy!

:bounce: :bounce:

Yes, she's ENERGETIC alright!!!

I think we're the perfect PIC's Big Guy, everything I am you're the opposite of! I'm loud, you're NOT, I'm short, you're NOT, I'm crazy, well.... I DID think I this would work! :confused:

That was such a fun day! Thanks for helping me to relive it!

Thanks for the great account of the party! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter