May/June 2001 Trip -- Part 18: Islands of Adventure – Is It Like Space Mountain?

WebmasterBarry

DIS Veteran
May 28, 2001

The cast:
Me (the 29-year old)
RhondaS (moderator of the Community Board)
Scottie (RhondaS’ DH)
Erin (RhondaS’ DD)
Malarie (RhondaS’ DD)
Dan Murphy (moderator of the Community Board)
Robinrs (moderator of the Community and Universal Boards)
Michael (Robinrs’ DS)

Today was a meet at Islands of Adventure. I was expecting a large crowd of about 12 people.

I was the first to arrive at around 8:30 and found a dry rock to sit on. I waited a few minutes and RhondaS’ clan showed up. Rhonda was wearing the green outfit I chose for her yesterday. We waited and Dan Murphy showed up with Robin and Michael. Dan gave them both a ride to the parks. We waited about 15 minutes more for other people to show up. No one came and we were wasting valuable Hulk riding time, so we entered the park.

Our first ride was the Hulk. Dan, Scottie, and Erin were our bag holders as the rest of us rode. On our first go-around, everyone else rode in the seventh row except for me. I had to ride in my favorite row, the back! We were shot out and as we unloaded, we noticed that the last few rows had no one waiting for them. We all jumped back into the train and we all moved one row up. I was in the seventh row and everyone else was in the sixth.

After the Hulk, we went to Spider-Man. Everyone rode this time. I was in the same row as Dan. As the door lowered, Dan asked the ride op, “Is it like Space Mountain?” Robin said, “Dan, you ask everyone that!” He must be a fun guy to ride with at Disney World. I bet he asks the Mad Tea Party Cast Member, “Is it like Space Mountain?” Before riding Space Mountain, I bet he asks, “Is it like Space Mountain?” Maybe he should ask, “Is it like Space Mountain…with the lights on?”

Everything worked on our first ride, but the Spider Signal was still missing. One our second ride, the Scoop didn’t seem to be working during the last scenes. We fell sideways and the Scoop wasn’t moving properly at the last scene. I could tell because I could see the squinching effect. The screen was stretching and tweaking. It was neat too see, though. The ride op asked us how was our ride and we said it was good. They’d probably look at me funny if I said, “Hey, I could see the squinching! I want another ride!”

The next ride was the Cat in the Hat. In our car, Robin and Malarie were in the front. Dan and I were in the back. I suppose we could have squeezed Robin in the center. Everyone else was in another car. On this ride, I noticed that Thing 2’s arms didn’t swing as he left the box. Also, the closet entrance doors didn’t open. I noticed that during my last trip, the doors opened like automatic sliding doors. Now they were held open. It was a rather neat effect.

We headed to Dueling Dragons after getting our spin on the couch. Scottie and Dan took Malarie to the Flying Unicorn while the rest of us dueled. We rode both Fire and Ice in the front seat. I sat by Robin both times and I remember she screamed a lot. I suppose that it’s nothing like Space Mountain! The mark of a good coaster is how loud the screaming is. I can sometimes hear the screaming from the Hulk all the way at Jurassic Park if I stand in the right spot.

Robin needed something calmer, so we met up with the rest of the group at the Flying Unicorn. I rode it once and that was enough for me. This is one of those coasters that I don’t like. It’s not anything scary, but the end brake is way too hard. It stops you on a dime, but it also throws you forward into the lapbar and back again. I suppose it will fit kids snugly, but not large adults! The adults in our group sat out while the kids rode it several times.

Next up was the Jurassic Park River Adventure. We all got into the second to last row. As we waited to depart, Robin said, “When I read Barry’s trip reports, he says this isn’t working and that isn’t working. How does he know that?” Well, this is for Robin…on the Jurassic Park River Adventure, the only thing not working was the raptor box. Like yesterday, you could hear the angry raptor in the box, but it did not drop. I think I even heard the dropping sounds. We all tried to get a closer look at the badge on the uniform that two small dinosaurs were fighting over. We were trying to see if it said “Earl.”

It was time for another soaking on Ripsaw Falls. As we walked from Jurassic Park to Toon Lagoon, I think my hat disappeared. It must have been taken by the Brotherhood of Hat Thieves or I dropped it. No matter…it was an excuse to buy a better one! I took Malarie and Erin aboard while everyone else waited. I wonder if people would ask me if these were my kids. I hope not because they look nothing like me! If someone asked, I would say that they’re adopted. I sat in the last seat and I still got soaked!

It was nearing noon, so we headed to Confiscio’s to lunch. We saw the Marvel superheroes gathered around Marvel Super Hero Island. Robin saw Spider-Man and somehow, she just wanted to have a picture taken with him.

Then we had lunch and saw some missing DIS’ers. If we got closer, we could see them. Who where they?

Sounds like you guys had a great time! :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter