May/June 2001 Trip -- Part 23: The Orlando Roller Coaster Tour

WebmasterBarry

DIS Veteran
May/June 2001 Trip -- Part 23: The Orlando Roller Coaster Tour – My Very Own Cedar Point

May 29, 2001

The cast:
Me (the 29-year old)

I woke up at 5 am and was about to head to Wild Adventures, but at the last minute, I decided to do the Orlando roller coaster tour. There were two things that kept me away from Wild Adventures. First, I wasn’t in the mood to drive four hours to get there. Second, Wild Adventures had planned on opening a new wooden roller coaster, Cheetah, around May, but it wasn’t due to open now until June. I decided to put off a visit until the coaster was opened.

Why did I plan on doing an Orlando roller coaster tour? I had read an article in the Florida Coaster Club newsletter where a member did a Florida roller coaster tour. He did every coaster in Busch Gardens, Disney World, and Universal (this was before Kraken at Sea World opened). It took him all day, but he did it. I decided that was an interesting idea. I wanted to do something different during this visit.

Theme parks are fun and I visit them every few months, but sometimes I get into a rut. During several visits, I go on the rides in the same order and use the same techniques. I avoid crowds and finish the major rides in the park, but after a while, it becomes monotonous. The vacation becomes a little less special. I wanted to try to ride all the roller coasters in Orlando on the same day. I wasn’t worried about the cost since I had annual passes to Disney World, Universal, Busch Gardens, and Sea World. I might as well get good use out of them! I also had a car, so transportation wasn’t a problem.

I wanted to stick with Orlando only since a Florida roller coaster tour would involve too much driving. In addition to the Orlando coasters, Florida also has them in Panama City and Dania Beach. There was no way I could do them all in one day. It would be too much driving. I didn’t have time for a two-day tour either.

I decided to do these roller coasters:

Magic Kingdom: Barnstormer, Space Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
Disney-MGM Studios: Rock N Roller Coaster
Sea World: Kraken, Journey to Atlantis
Islands of Adventure: Flying Unicorn, Dueling Dragons, Incredible Hulk Coaster, Dudley Do-Right’s Ripsaw Falls
Universal Studios: Woody Woodpecker’s Nuthouse Coaster
Old Town: Windstorm, the kiddie coaster (I can’t remember the name), Sky Coaster

Every coaster means every coaster, even the kiddie coasters, the water coasters, and the Sky Coaster. The one I was most fearful of was the Sky Coaster. It seemed expensive to pay $30+ for a few seconds of thrill, but I found a $40 Sky Coaster gift certificate for $6.25 at City Auction. Now I have no excuse!

I watched the Cartoon Network until 7 am and headed out. I caught a few minutes of “Josie and the Pussycats.” Talk about an un-animated animated show! It seemed the things that moved the most were the mouths. The characters moved their arms and legs in repetitious patterns. These guys should’ve animated the “Star Trek” cartoon too!

I checked out the parking lot of the hotel and it seemed deserted. The whole hotel had a deserted feel. It was nice not to have strange people making unusual noises in the middle of the night, but it felt kind of lonely too.

I headed to breakfast and drove down Osceola Parkway to Disney World. Tolls were around $2, but it was worth it to avoid the construction mess on I-192. As I was halfway to Disney, I realized that I forgot my Sky Coaster certificate! I didn’t want to go back for it since it would be a long drive, so I would either skip it or pay full price. I didn’t realize it then, but my tour began to fall apart.

I was on my way to Disney-MGM Studios.

Gosh Barry, the tension is too much! :eek:
Can I manage to wait for the next installment?

Keep 'em coming.

Barry,

Can you post the link to the website that you got your Sky Coaster discount from. I am going to Orlando on the 1st and might be interested in riding the Sky Coaster.

Thanks in advance,
Charlie

can't wait till the next installment! :D

Thanks a lot Barry,

Unfortunatly no Sky Coaster tickets are availible. Hopefully one will be availible before I leave.

Thanks again,
Charlie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter