May/June 2001 Trip -- Part 25: The Orlando Roller Coaster Tour

WebmasterBarry

DIS Veteran
Part 25: The Orlando Roller Coaster Tour – Magic Kingdom: Baby Coaster Land

May 29, 2001

The cast:
Me (the 29-year old)

The park opened with a family. The family dropped open a welcome banner and I headed in. I headed to the ferryboat and wandered around the second deck as the boat headed across the lagoon. Last time I visited, the finger readers had a lot of problems reading mine. I was dreading on sticking mine in, but I did and it worked for a change!

I was planning on hitting Space Mountain for a Fast Pass, then going to Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, hitting the Barnstormer, and then using my Fast Pass for Space Mountain. If I had time, I would take a look at Aladdin’s Magic Carpets. I gathered with the crowd that waited by Tomorrowland. The rope dropped and I made a beeline for a Space Mountain Fast Pass. My return time was 9:30 to 10:30.

I headed to Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. I passed by the Haunted Mansion and the wait was 13 minutes. That probably means the ride is a walk-on. I was tempted to ride it, but I didn’t want to get sidetracked. Today I would only ride roller coasters!

Big Thunder Mountain Railroad had a 15-minute wait, but the only wait was the walk through the empty queue. I rode it and it seemed so slow! After riding the Hulk and Dueling Dragons, I expected a lot of speed on a coaster. I was wondering, “Is this a coaster?” and I answered to myself that it was! It may not be a fast coaster, but it has some good theming. It looks nice! I’m not sure if I like the three lift hills either. It was still a good ride.

Mickey’s Toontown Fair would not be open until 10 am and I would miss the opening if I rode Space Mountain, so I decided to go to Aladdin’s Magic Carpets for a look. Aladdin comes over the speaker and gives us the safety instructions. He sounded a lot like Keanu Reeves. As I was watching the ride, could not helping singing, “One fish, red fish, up up up! Two fish, blue fish, down down down!” I had also read that the camels were supposed to squirt the riders, but I didn’t see that. I watched a few rounds as I took photos and videos.

A family was departing the ride and one of them was calling to me. I think it was Baloo. I had remembered her from the moderator party, but I didn’t recognize her offhand. I met so many moderators that day and I have trouble telling some moderators apart! I hope Dan Murphy and Cathy Canada do not come to a DIS meet because I will never tell them apart! We chatted for a minute and they headed off.

I headed over to Mickey’s Toontown Fair and waited for the rope drop. When they let us in, I headed to the Barnstormer. The wait was about five minutes. The coaster is fun, but it is short. It is also very smooth! Sure, it is a kiddie coaster, but I enjoyed riding it. I was surprised that I liked it. It’s not big or fast like other coasters I like.

It was time to use the Space Mountain Fast Pass, but it was down. Another guest asked what would happen to her Fast Pass. The Cast Member said that if the ride wasn’t open by the time that the window expired, we could use the Fast Pass at any time during the day. I don’t know if I would be back.

I was sad that Space Mountain was down. I then thought of the old strategy. When Space Mountain is down, what do you ride next? The Tomorrowland Transit Authority! The Tomorrowland Transit Authority passes by Space Mountain. When Space Mountain is closed, the lights are on and you get a unique opportunity to see layout of the ride! It’s a time to take pictures and videos. I certainly had my video camera ready as the Tomorrowland Transit Authority passed by Space Mountain!

My Fast Pass window expired and there were no more coasters in the park to ride, so I headed to Disney-MGM Studios. As I headed out the park, a sea of people was coming in. I started to get kind of uncomfortable. I am not claustrophobic, but large crowds make me a little nervous. I think that I am uncomfortable because I lose a lot of personal space. Plus, you never know when you will encounter a guest with bad body odor!

So how did the photos and/or video of space mountain turn out? Did you get a good view of the ride layout?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter