MCO to Sanibel Beach questions, please help!

yoopermom

Come join Bravo by the fire...
We're going to do one day there, one day back, but have three questions:
1. Mapquest sends you down 4 to 17 to 75, but 17 looks pretty small. Would it be faster to take 4 to 75 all the way?
2. We want to come a little ways back before stopping for the night, where would you suggest? Port Charlotte? Just need a safe (interior corridors) place to sleep, no extras.
3. How long of a trip will this be? Mapquest says four hours, does that sound about right? If I take 75 will I get caught trying to get around Tampa in the a.m.?

Much thanks in advance
Terri the Yoopermom

Since I live in Ft. Myers, I can help...

1.) The easiest way to Sanibel is to take I-4 and then I-75.

2.) If you want to drive a little bit, try staying in Port Charlotte or Tampa (if you can make it). You can even stay in Ft. Myers too.

3.) As for the drive, it takes me 3 1/2 to 4 hours to reach Orlando. I think the drive to Sanibel from Ft. Myers is an hour. So the total drive is about 4-5 hours.

Forget 17, I can't imagine what MapQuest means. I've used them before and have gotten lost. We live in the St. Petersburg area and it takes us exactly 2 1/2 hours to get to Sanibel and 1 1/2 to Disney. I would think the trip from MCO would take 3 1/2 to 4 hours since you'll be on expressways most of the time. I wouldn't worry about Tampa traffic since you'll hit 75 before Tampa. We use exit # 21 off 75. You may want to get a local map at that point. We go so often, we don't pay attention to the names of roads, but go by landmarks, or I would tell you more specifically.
Port Charlotte would be a good place to stay. 75 has good signs that inform what hotels, restaurants, and gas stations are at each exit. Good luck and don't worry. Until you exit 75, the drive is a cinch.

and Barry, after following your advice on the Universal Board, I had to doublecheck what board I was actually on this time! I really appreciate all the info, now I just have to find a Pack n Ship while I'm down there to send my son's eight jillion "treasures" that he finds on the beach home from! Many, many thanks again...
Terri the Yoopermom

The least frustrating way to reach Sanibel from I 75 is to take the Daniel's Road exit (21). Take a right onto Daniel's and follow it to the intersection of Daniel's and Six Mile Cypress/Ben Pratt highway (you'll want the extreme left hand lane). Take a left at this intersection and follow it to the intersection of this road and route 41. Go straight across route 41 and the signs for the beaches will begin to appear on the sides of the road. You shouldn't have any trouble. I wouldn't stay in Port Charlotte, but then, that is me. I would stay in Sarasota where there is a larger selection of hotels/motels and restaurants. Sanibel is about 25 minutes from Fort Myers, by the way. Have a great time, it's a pretty island.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter