Md-88

Aisling

<font color=darkorchid>Where your mind goes, your
I just found out that one of my possible Delta connesctions is on an MD-88. Does anyone know what kind of plane that is?? Is that one of those little bitty things? How many people does it hold? Thanks!!

It's actually one of my favorite planes. Try for deats near the front, it will be one of the quietest rides you'll ever have.

The overhead bins are tighter than on some other equipment.

The seats are configured 3-2, so three seats on one side of teh aisle, two on the other, which is great when it's just DH and I flying, he can have his window and I can have my aisle.

They hold about 100 people each, although not nearly the size of a 777, it's not a small plane by any means.

Anne

The MD-88 is an improvement on the venerable DC-9 which was made by Douglas Corporation. Douglas Corporation eventually merged with McDonnell to become the McDonnell-Douglas Corporation. Production of the DC-9 eventually ceased but an improved version was produced which was called the MD-88. The major differences between the DC-9 and MD-88 are lengthened fuselage, improved engines and upgraded avionics in the cockpit.

This is a fine airplane and not a so-called Regional Jet. I should point out though that Regional Jets are actually great and many times provide a much quieter ride due to the upgraded engines! The seating layout is 3-2 as pointed out by Ducklite and since the engines are mounted on the rear of the fuselage, the forward seats do provide for a quieter ride.

And just to further confuse you, McDonnell Douglas was eventually taken over by Boeing and the MD-88 has since ceased being produced. It is now called a Boeing 717 which looks like the original shorter bodied DC-9 but with bigger engines.

By the way, I've never had a bad flight on an MB-88! Have a wonderful trip.:wave:

As the others have posted the MD88 is by no means a regional jet. It is as CAP Aircrew described, a stetched and advanced DC-9. Another bit of trivia to add to CAP's information.. When the MD-80 series of aircraft was first introduced it was called a DC-9 Super 80 series. Right after the plane was certified, McDonnell Douglas decided to drop the DC designation for their planes and go with the MD designation..

Delta's MD88s carry 142 passengers in the 3-2 layout. Here is a link to Delta's information about their planes..

http://www.delta.com/travel/maps_guides/aircraft/md-88/index.jsp

Have a good flight.. I have always had good flights on the MD80s and will be flying on some this summer with American.

Awhile ago, someone posted a link to a REALLY COOL website... you could enter in your airline, and plane type, and it'd give you a seating selector type diagram, and tell you which seats recline, which seats to avoid, etc...

Anyone have this link anymore?

Originally posted by Chip 'n Dale Express
Awhile ago, someone posted a link to a REALLY COOL website... you could enter in your airline, and plane type, and it'd give you a seating selector type diagram, and tell you which seats recline, which seats to avoid, etc...

Anyone have this link anymore?

Is this one it?

http://www.seatguru.com

It only has the seating charts for the bigger USA carriers..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter