• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Meet me at the Snuggly Duckling! A June 2018 TR. UPDATED 3/8

It sounds like an awesome room! With amazing views! Maybe I need to try writing out more in my room request; I think last time I just used whatever Touring Plans sent over. Though this time I'll be in a standard studio villa in Jambo House and there's only like 15 of them with 4 having savanna views and the rest having a pool view!

I definitely think adding my little blurb helped us get that extra pixie dust!

Maybe that's where they get fed?

Maybe? We did see the trucks go by often but we never saw them putting out food. I did wonder if they like it back there as it is a quiet corner away from the "noise" and busyness of the main overlook??

They just reopened it and I am not a fan. Looks like a big brick warehouse now without the fantasy theming. Not Disney enough!
wod7.jpg

Hmm, I think I would have to see it in person. Anything that helps with the congestion in that store though is an improvement in my eyes.

I ended up getting the Magic Kingdom dress (the blue one, right)? I love it - it has pockets which are amazingly convenient!

Yep, the blue dress. It is very pretty and I always enjoy pockets on a dress.

Question for you: how come you picked up your bags at the baggage carousel when using Magical Express? You don't prefer them delivered? Just wondering!

We were first introduced to the solar gel on our Disney cruise and really liked it so it and the mouthwash were a nice addition. Interesting to note though is that while they replenished the shampoo/conditioner/soap they never replenished the solar gel or mouthwash.

Did you happen to notice if you can purchase the solar gel at the gift shop? I am already a huge fan of the h2o sea salt moisturizer, but it is hard to find sometimes, so I'm hoping to find that and maybe the solar gel at the gift shop.

The view from your room was awesome!

Your treats from Amorette's look delicious!

Sounds like a nice time at Disney Springs! Major self control not buying anything!

I think the new DTD (still easier to type!) is dreamy. I love it. I've never been a fan of WoD simply because of the crowds and I'm not a shopping fan, but I can see that's it's clearly less Disney now. hmm....

Sounds like a nice relaxing start to your day and was glad maintenance was able to fix the tv. :) You have such a great view and the animals are like... right there! Love it!

I've only had Blaze once, and it was pretty tasty! I'd totally go back again!

Question for you: how come you picked up your bags at the baggage carousel when using Magical Express? You don't prefer them delivered? Just wondering!

Peace of mind. We just prefer to have our stuff with us 1)We know that it actually arrived in Orlando 2)We don't need to wait for it to be delivered to access our stuff.

We find that the bags don't usually take very long to make it to the carousels in Orlando so it really isn't much of a hassle to pick them up. That being said we didn't have a ton of stuff. Just one checked suitcase, mom's carry on suitcase, my carry on bag and a back pack. So very manageable. I can see how a family travelling with a ton of stuff might prefer for Disney to do the leg work.

Did you happen to notice if you can purchase the solar gel at the gift shop? I am already a huge fan of the h2o sea salt moisturizer, but it is hard to find sometimes, so I'm hoping to find that and maybe the solar gel at the gift shop.

I didn't look on this trip but in the past I know we were able to get it in the gift shops. AKL had a whole shelving unit devoted to the H2O products.

The view from your room was awesome!

Your treats from Amorette's look delicious!

Sounds like a nice time at Disney Springs! Major self control not buying anything!

I know, I couldn't believe I didn't buy anything! It probably helped that I had just paid a huge chunk of change for the hotel room so that was still on my mind. :laughing:

I think the new DTD (still easier to type!) is dreamy. I love it. I've never been a fan of WoD simply because of the crowds and I'm not a shopping fan, but I can see that's it's clearly less Disney now. hmm....

I really like it too, improvement over the deserted wasteland that was there before all the renos.

Yes, WoD is always so crowded and overwhelming. It will be interesting to see what it is like when it is all done.

Sounds like a nice relaxing start to your day and was glad maintenance was able to fix the tv. :) You have such a great view and the animals are like... right there! Love it!

The view was amazing! We just love it.

Just booked our accommodations for our September trip to the West Coast! We will be spending 6 days in the Rockies. We are doing things a bit differently this year and not staying in Banff itself but in Kananaskis Country which is just outside of Banff. Alek (my brother) wanted to spend all 5 nights in a tent as it is cheapest but my Dad suggested a compromise of three nights in a tent close to some of the hiking trails we want to explore and two nights in a hotel room at the end of the trip so that is what we did! We love going to the Rockies and try and go every year while visiting our Dad. It will be exciting to see a different part of the mountains as in the past we have always stayed mainly in the Lake Louise and Banff area.

Photos from google search and not my own. They are from two of the hikes we plan on completing.

2849115389_286497996a_b.jpg

RawsonLake_00Main_The-Stunning-Rawson-Lake-in-Kananaskis.jpg

June 12 - Early Morning at Animal Kingdom Lodge

Our first full day at WDW arrived and we had no plans to hit rope drop this day. This was our one and only Hollywood Studios day and we saw no need to rush to the park. The plan for the day was a late breakfast ADR and then we would go into the park for a few hours before hitting the pool. We would then go back in the evening for the evening entertainment. The reasons for our laid back day at Hollywood Studios were

• Toy Story Mania was closed so no need to rush there at rope drop
  • Mom doesn't ride the big rides - Tower of Terror and Rock N' Roller Coaster and I didn't want to ditch her and ride alone so there were really only a few things we wanted to do at the park.
Despite our plans to not do rope drop we were still up fairly early. It must have been due to our falling asleep fairly early. Mom said I was fast asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow.

We didn't mind waking up early though as it gave us time to leisurely get ready and to visit with the animals.

Once again there were a ton of animals hanging out by our room.

And the most exotic animal of them all...

Got to love Disney ducks!

I posted a live video of the savanna to Facebook and found out that a friend I had made on the disboards many years ago was going to be checking into the lodge in two days!

Also while out there on the balcony some jerk a floor up and a few rooms down was smoking on his/her balcony. I commented on it to Mom, how rude it was as it is meant to be non-smoking. I don't want to smell or breathe in your second-hand smoke, go to the designated smoking areas! Well, I think they heard me, as they stopped immediately after my comment. But then, the most infuriating part, they threw their cigarette butt onto the savanna!!!!!! I really wish I had reported that as it is strictly forbidden to throw anything onto the savanna for the animals safety. You can get booted from the hotel for doing so. I didn't know for sure what room it was coming from and Mom told me not to do anything. I have some descriptive words for that person that I am not allowed to post on the board.

Around 8:30 we decided to head out from the room and stroll around the resort.

One thing I didn't notice on my previous stay at AKL were these medallions in the floor of the lobby. There were several different ones and I just loved stopping to examine them on this trip. Next time you are at AKL make sure to look down.

We went over to the lounge that looks onto the Sunset Savanna.

There wasn't much to see there at the moment other than the ostrich.

We then went out to the Arusha overlook but it wasn't open yet. Silly me, didn't realize it had operating hours.

Back up to the lobby, I wandered over and examined the indoor fire pit. We didn't have much cause to sit by the fire on this trip. We didn't need any further warming up! :laughing:

I loved the details on the grate.

Next we wandered down to the first floor and we popped our heads into Jiko where we would be eating in a few days.

It was so calm and quiet out by the pool this time of the morning as it hadn't opened up yet. There were only a few people out and about on their way to The Mara.

There weren't many animals out on the savanna by the pool either so we decided to just head to the bus stop and catch the bus.

Sorry nothing too thrilling in this update but animals and pictures of the beautiful resort. I wish I was back there already.

Coming Up: Morning stroll at the Boardwalk and breakfast at Trattoria Al Forno

Last edited:
ooooh I'm so excited. I think your trip is basically my upcoming trip so far....coming from Toronto, st

Is it mean of me to want more updates quicker! :rolleyes::rolleyes1:teeth: You are doing a fabulous job of posting updates, I am just really enjoying your report and look forward to reading it!
I have never stayed at AKL, but have visited there. It is a BEAUTIFUL resort! The detail in all the resorts are wonderful, but this one and WL are just stunning!

I don't know why my posts are turning out weird, either doubling, or not showing all the text :) Sorry!!!

What I meant to say was that I am loving following your trip report, because so far we have the same trip! We will be coming from Toronto, staying at AKL, have a breakfast planned at Trattoria....so I'll be following along, but I secretly hope your trip report is done before we leave in 9 days :) No pressure.

Great pictures from your room and around the resort!

That is so frustrating about the smoker in the room above you!

Is it mean of me to want more updates quicker! :rolleyes::rolleyes1:teeth: You are doing a fabulous job of posting updates, I am just really enjoying your report and look forward to reading it!
I have never stayed at AKL, but have visited there. It is a BEAUTIFUL resort! The detail in all the resorts are wonderful, but this one and WL are just stunning!

Thanks! I'm glad you are enjoying it. :goodvibes

I don't know why my posts are turning out weird, either doubling, or not showing all the text :) Sorry!!!

What I meant to say was that I am loving following your trip report, because so far we have the same trip! We will be coming from Toronto, staying at AKL, have a breakfast planned at Trattoria....so I'll be following along, but I secretly hope your trip report is done before we leave in 9 days :) No pressure.

:laughing: Weird about what is happening to your posts.

Sorry to disappoint but no way I'll be done writing in 9 days. :laughing: I might be done writing about the current day in nine days! ;)

Great pictures from your room and around the resort!

That is so frustrating about the smoker in the room above you!

Yes, the smoking was disrespectful to the other guests and disrespectful to the animals.

If somebody needs to smoke they should go and do so in the designated areas.

Also while out there on the balcony some jerk a floor up and a few rooms down was smoking on his/her balcony. I commented on it to Mom, how rude it was as it is meant to be non-smoking. I don't want to smell or breathe in your second-hand smoke, go to the designated smoking areas! Well, I think they heard me, as they stopped immediately after my comment. But then, the most infuriating part, they threw their cigarette butt onto the savanna!!!!!! I really wish I had reported that as it is strictly forbidden to throw anything onto the savanna for the animals safety. You can get booted from the hotel for doing so. I didn't know for sure what room it was coming from and Mom told me not to do anything. I have some descriptive words for that person that I am not allowed to post on the board.
ARGH! That is just soo horrible! Especially when you are staying at a resort that is themed around conservation and animal knowledge and appreciation! Just to be so thoughtless! I wish you could have figured out which room they were and gotten them kicked out!

Hi Lessa! :wave: I decided to come over to the TR boards to help make the time till our trip go faster and I saw your report! Was following on Facebook...can't wait to read more

JM

ARGH! That is just soo horrible! Especially when you are staying at a resort that is themed around conservation and animal knowledge and appreciation! Just to be so thoughtless! I wish you could have figured out which room they were and gotten them kicked out!

I know!! I was so mad. I don't have anything against smokers in general so long as it doesn't impact me or others that choose not to smoke. I have several friends and co-workers that smoke and they are respectful of those of us who don't.

I do get mad when smokers are thoughtless. 1)Don't blow your smoke in my face 2)Dispose of your butts properly i.e. not on the savanna!!

I would have been just as mad if I saw somebody tossing food or garbage out onto the savanna. At the Toronto zoo there is a statue dedicated to a poor orangutan that died after some thoughtless person tossed garbage into their exhibit.

Since you are from California you will be very familiar with wildfires. My dad lives in a similar area up in British Columbia where it gets very dry in the summer and every year there are fires and many of them are started by people thoughtlessly (selfishly) tossing their cigarette butts out their car window. There is a huge fine if you are caught doing so. People lose their homes, wildlife is forced from their homes as well, it creates terrible air quality which aggravates people with health conditions such as asthma. Now, I'm not trying to blame all fires on smokers or say that all smokers cause fires but there are those out there like the jerk from my report that feel that they can just disregard others in order to indulge in their addiction and that just is not right.

Rant over! :laughing:

Hi Lessa! :wave: I decided to come over to the TR boards to help make the time till our trip go faster and I saw your report! Was following on Facebook...can't wait to read more

JM

Hi Janet! Nice to see you on the boards! I thought all the Fockers had ditched the boards long ago.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter