Member Perks

We've just gotten accustomed to pulling out our DVC, AP, and Visa cards all a the same time and asking, "any discount for any of these?"

The only problem with attaching to the magic band is that there is nothing to prevent someone from giving their band to someone else for purchase. Obviously, not a stranger, but other guests staying with the member. For me, it really hasn't been that huge of a deal as I just ask and then show them what they need. My DD 23 is a CM and if we are together, we are very cautious about making sure that she is the one paying, etc. and don't even mention at register that she may be buying things for me. She said that it is a big no-no that they are really strict about.

In Disney's world DVC isn't worth spending money to add to MBs, DVC is too small. Most of DVC's website improvements are a result of Disney changing their other websites or features.

:earsboy: Bill

Yes, I doubt you will ever see an auto discount. This is a tried and true business model. If offer a discount, make someone ask for it. It generates lots of income that would otherwise be lost and Disney can shirk any bad will by saying, we just need your card (and ID usually). If they offer the discount, all of those thousands and thousands of AP holders that didn't realize they could get a discount at XYZ would get it and not even notice. So many people don't know what perks they are entitled to, they happily pay full price not knowing a discount was available.

When I fill out surveys after our trips, I always comment about the need to use the information encoded on the MagicBand. I still carry a waterproof container around my neck (nerdy, I know). I keep my photo ID, AP, DVC membership card and TIW card in there. And, perhaps, a little bit of cash.

I think an earlier poster is correct; it would be fairly easy to give a MagicBand to someone else, assuming that person had his own park ticket.

Also, as the son of a retailer, I wholeheartedly agree that offering the discounts is much different from PUSHING the discounts. Many people will forget about the discounts, leaving more meat on the bone for retailers. Most souvenirs are very high markup items; Disney still makes money after giving the discounts.

That being said, Disney actually made an adjustment for me a few years ago. I went to Restaurantosaurus and forgot to mention my TIW card until after the sale was totaled. The CM said he couldn't add the discount. I kept the receipt, contacted TIW via email, and explained the situation. TIW refunded my account within a few days. All I had to do was email them a copy of the receipt.

I doubt Disney would be so helpful to retroactively apply a discount to a $250 World of Disney purchase. :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter