Members Cash rates-gone up? Update-manager called!

Simba's Mom

<font color=green>everything went to "H*** in a ha
So this morning I called MS for availability of a studio at HHI the Saturday before Thanksgiving. We often do this and have never paid more than $100 on MC. I went to the Disney website, and it quoted $113. Sounds about right. But when I called for availability on Members Cash, she quoted me $157! I asked her why the difference from the Disney website-no answer, except maybe tax (really? That much?) I verified-HHI? The Saturday before Thanksgiving, 11/23? A studio? Boy, was I looking forward to the survey this time! I asked for a manager to call back to explain this to me.

So this morning I called MS for availability of a studio at HHI the Saturday before Thanksgiving. We often do this and have never paid more than $100 on MC. I went to the Disney website, and it quoted $113. Sounds about right. But when I called for availability on Members Cash, she quoted me $157! I asked her why the difference from the Disney website-no answer, except maybe tax (really? That much?) I verified-HHI? The Saturday before Thanksgiving, 11/23? A studio? Boy, was I looking forward to the survey this time! I asked for a manager to call back to explain this to me.

There might not have been a discount on your member cash stay. The discount isn't always available.

$113 rack rate? What about the member discount?

DVC rates are not necessarily discounted or always available. You really should shop to get the best rates.

:earsboy: Bill

HHI is in the latest RCI sale for Nov/Dec - $199 for a week in studio, 1 or 2 bedroom

now it is not DVC or the marriott - but some are really nice

Well, a DVC manager just called back, and the bottom line is that the rate on Member's Cash IS $157/night for a studio this year, up over 60% from what we payed last year. On the Disney site, I can book a studio for $113/night. He tried to give me some mumbo-jumbo about availability, early bookings, and trading thru RCI, but frrankly I still don't understand. And I'm furious! I told him that I might as well go ahead and book directly thru Disney, since it was so much cheaper than our "great" Members' Cash discount.

HHI is in the latest RCI sale for Nov/Dec - $199 for a week in studio, 1 or 2 bedroom

now it is not DVC or the marriott - but some are really nice

spiceycat, how would I go about getting more info on this?

The member discount is always 25% off of Rack. As stated not always the best discount and not always available. If you can get it for less through Disney Reservations why argue with a manager about it, just book the best rate.

DVC has never said their cash rate will be the least expensive, I truly don't understand why you are furious?

The member discount is always 25% off of Rack. As stated not always the best discount and not always available. If you can get it for less through Disney Reservations why argue with a manager about it, just book the best rate.

DVC has never said their cash rate will be the least expensive, I truly don't understand why you are furious?

I didn't argue with a manager, I was just hoping for an explanation of the 60% increase. And yes, he did tell me that this was the DVC discount.

If the rack rate comes up at $113 then the member's rate should be considerably cheaper than the rate she was quoted as $157. I agree Simba's Mom, something is fishy. If the member rate is not available then they'd just tell you it wasn't available, not that it's higher than the rack rate.

I don't think an HHI studio's rack rate would ever be $113. That's more in line with a value resort rack rate. The $209+ that the member discount rate calculates out to be makes more sense and I think there may be a confusion of terminology.

Disney's website does show $113 but it must be some kind of promo:

Room Type:Deluxe Studio
Special Rate Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort Room Only Offer

So just book it there.

Go to disneybeachresorts.com on click HHI. Check availability. This is HHI rack rate. The Sat before Tgiving for a studio comes up as $113 ($124 w/tax). November-Feb is off season and you can get AMAZING cash rates for HHI. A 1BR for that night is $174 & a 2BR is just $204.

Well, a DVC manager just called back, and the bottom line is that the rate on Member's Cash IS $157/night for a studio this year, up over 60% from what we payed last year. On the Disney site, I can book a studio for $113/night. He tried to give me some mumbo-jumbo about availability, early bookings, and trading thru RCI, but frrankly I still don't understand. And I'm furious! I told him that I might as well go ahead and book directly thru Disney, since it was so much cheaper than our "great" Members' Cash discount.
Just book it for the cheaper rate, there's no reason to be furious. MS doesn't control the rack rate and they don't always have the discount. Often there are specials, esp using the DVC CC.

spiceycat, how would I go about getting more info on this?
You have to be a RCI member independent of DVC or look at one of the rental sites that RCI uses (might be more).

Go to disneybeachresorts.com on click HHI. Check availability. This is HHI rack rate. The Sat before Tgiving for a studio comes up as $113 ($124 w/tax). November-Feb is off season and you can get AMAZING cash rates for HHI. A 1BR for that night is $174 & a 2BR is just $204.

That does not mean that is rack rate. Rack rate is a rate that is published which is the highest amount they might charge. And that high rack rate is what the member discount is taken off of. Discounts and lowered room prices during slow seasons are not uncommon at HHI which is what is probably being seen thru CRO.

Disney does publish these rack rates and for example you can find the 2013 rack rates for all the WDW resorts at mousesavers.

OK - finally found 2012 rack rates for HHI on allears.net. Per the member discount I calculated the rack rate for the date the OP was looking at must be approx $209 so it's probably a Regular season date in 2013:

2012 RATES

(Resort Tax Not Included)
Room Type

Value Regular Spring Peak
Studio $110 $205 $235 $355

1BR Vacation Home $170 $255 $320 $435

2BR Vacation Home $200 $295 $370 $500

3BR Grand Villa $385 $540 $660 $875

Here's the link:
http://allears.net/acc/faq_hhi.htm

The important thing to note is that the member rate is 25% off of rack and that does not mean it's necessarily the lowest rate that can be found. But it can be a plus during busy seasons when CRO doesn't have to give large discounts to fill rooms although the cash discount isn't guaranteed to be available either.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter