Memorial Day Rant

OrlandoMike

<font color=red>all I can say is beer hurts when i
It amazed me this morning as I drove around my area that not a single flag was lowered to half staff to honor the dead men and woman who gave their lives for our country.

Not at the Fire Station, town hall, the police station, that chicken place that wraps itself in God and country so much that they dont even open on Sunday. Not that huge corporation from Arkansas that is hell bent on putting one of their stores in every neighborhood with the American Flag on every store.

Nope! Every flag was at full staff as if today was just another day. Just a day marking the beginning of summer. A day for sales, BBQ's, and swimming.

Well my flag was at half staff till noon, as mandated by the US Flag code, and I have it on a reliable source that every flag at Disney was also at half staff. It takes a little more than slapping a yellow ribbon on the back of your car to really show your support!

Ok, I'm done ranting! Enjoy your BBQ!

Hi Mike,

Seeing your passion for this issue, I was wondering if you could explain to me what Memorial Day is?

Here in Canada we celebrate Remembrance Day on November 11. It started to celebrate the end of WWI, but has been used ever since to remember those who have fought and died for our country at all international events. Flags go on half mast on that day, and Canadians wear poppies the week prior as a sign of remembrance. (Used becuase of the poem "In Flander's Fields" by a Canadian soldier, John McCrae.)

Now, I am not the best on American holidays, but I think you celebrate Veteran's Day on that day, which sounds similar to our Rememberance Day. How does Memorial Day compare to Veteran's Day? By comparison, we only have one holiday of that nature, and the May long weekend is Victoria Day, in honour of Queen Victoria, the first Queen of Canada.

Just a question! I'm sure even some Americans could use a reminder. :)

Noah

Here is a link that explains the history of Memorial Day.

http://www.usmemorialday.org/backgrnd.html

I agree with Orlandomike, I too was bothered that no one in my area, which is in our Nation's capital bothered to fly the flag at half staff. I for one am very patriotic and grateful to those who have served this nation and our flag was at half staff this morning.

Lowering flags is done for when a state official, world leader or someone high in political office dies.

Cass said:
Lowering flags is done for when a state official, world leader or someone high in political office dies.

And on Memorial Day it is flown at half staff till noon for all those who have died for our country.

Noah, the difference between our Memorial Day and Veterans Day is Memorial Day is for all those who have died, Vetrons Day is for all those who have served in the armed forces.

I did have a great day, none the less. I just get irked by all these people/companies who say they are so patriotic and then they dont even do the simplest things to honor our country or those who have given the most for our freedom.

i agree with you OrlandoMike. All to easy to talk. Harder to do. Harder yet to know what to do. Thanks for bringing it to our attention. Many folks need a reminder that people have died for this "holiday."

We live in a military town and it was Graduation weekend for the service academy here. I should mention DH graduated from that same service academy several years ago, so there's a deep understanding and appreciation. He was the one that tended to the community flag today... the one that sits so prominantly.

We couldn't believe the number of people that just walked by the ceremony in the MK on Thursday evening. I don't care if you don't know the protocol about lowering a flag (you should, you are American), but to just keep on going when the National Anthem is playing... I don't think so. It struck me that, with all this talk about illegal immigration, born and raised Americans pay so little regard and attention to that banner that represents so much.

:::Steps off soapbox:::

Isnt the flag retreat great at the MK?

I too am amazed that some people just walk on by! For God's sake, they are putting the flag to bed for the night so to speak, cant you take a minute out of your life to pay a little respect?

Oh well, Memorial Day is also the day that officially starts summer, so I hope everyone had a great BBQ, swim, family get together, or something fun.

Mike,
Thank you so much for your comments in regards to our great flag. I too am amazed at the lack of knowledge and respect it is given anymore. On one of our recent trips to WDW, we were in MK and the flag was being retired for the day. By the way, my hubby has been a part of this ceremony twice. It is always very moving to me, and I always get leaky eyes. But it aggravates me so when people do not stop and pay their respect to our flag or National Anthem.

Unfortunatly, not all businesses make it their business to know flag protocal. That would include "that chicken place". I know it's founder personally, Truitt Cathy. He has spoken at our church many times. And he is very respectful and loves our country, and shows this in many, many ways. So perhaps his entire co. should not be grouped as unpatriotic or unknowledgable. As I said, his individual stores are perhaps not all advised and educated as such. But nontheless, I do understand your aggravation.

Another thing that gets me on my soapbox is to see so many flags that obviously need to be retired permanantly as they are so frayed and damaged. And need to be replaced. I feel that is also so disrespectful. I have been known to make a phone call or 2 to the business/office building manager and let my feelings be known.

Thanks for reminding us Mike. And God bless!

Blessings,
Winnie

I sent a very nice email to the chicken place, and the other place baised out of Arkansas, and to my local mayor. With the age of the internet, I'm sure communication with the "corporate home office" happens on a daily basis. I asked them all to remind their local stores to brush up on the flag code before Memorial Day next year. After 9/11 I had to stop by numerous banks and local buisnesses to ask them personally to lower the flag. GEESH I thought that one would have been a given. Oh well I dont mind, It's my little patriotic quirk and I dont mind reminding people.

Maybe as a reward I'll take a ride out to the MK today to watch the flag retreat, them have some spaghetti at Tony's! YUM

code:
http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/flagetiq.html

Veteran's day flag is NOT to be flown half-staff. 9/11 is not presently listed as one of the days it should be flown, but it falls under the days designated by the president (resolution posted at bottom).

In my town, they put up flags in the medians on the days designated for flag display. They do not get set at half-staff b/c they are not able to be displayed in that manner.
Flags that can be flown half-staff are flown this way when appropriate.

§6. Time and occasions for display
It is the universal custom to display the flag only from sunrise to sunset on buildings and on stationary flagstaffs in the open. However, when a patriotic effect is desired, the flag may be displayed twenty-four hours a day if properly illuminated during the hours of darkness.
The flag should be hoisted briskly and lowered ceremoniously.
The flag should not be displayed on days when the weather is inclement, except when an all-weather flag is displayed.
The flag should be displayed on all days, especially on
New Year's Day, January 1
Inauguration Day, January 20
Martin Luther King Jr.'s birthday, third Monday in January
Lincoln's Birthday, February 12
Washington's Birthday, third Monday in February
Easter Sunday (variable)
Mother's Day, second Sunday in May
Armed Forces Day, third Saturday in May
Memorial Day (half-staff until noon), the last Monday in May
Flag Day, June 14
Independence Day, July 4
Labor Day, first Monday in September
Constitution Day, September 17
Columbus Day, second Monday in October
Navy Day, October 27
Veterans Day, November 11
Thanksgiving Day, fourth Thursday in November
Christmas Day, December 25
and such other days as may be proclaimed by the President of the United States
the birthdays of States (date of admission)
and on State holidays.

The flag should be displayed daily on or near the main administration building of every public institution.
The flag should be displayed in or near every polling place on election days.
The flag should be displayed during school days in or near every schoolhouse.

Code for flying half-staff.

The flag, when flown at half-staff, should be first hoisted to the peak for an instant and then lowered to the half-staff position. The flag should be again raised to the peak before it is lowered for the day. On Memorial Day the flag should be displayed at half-staff until noon only, then raised to the top of the staff. By order of the President, the flag shall be flown at half-staff upon the death of principal figures of the United States Government and the Governor of a State, territory, or possession, as a mark of respect to their memory. In the event of the death of other officials or foreign dignitaries, the flag is to be displayed at half-staff according to Presidential instructions or orders, or in accordance with recognized customs or practices not inconsistent with law. In the event of the death of a present or former official of the government of any State, territory, or possession of the United States, the Governor of that State, territory, or possession may proclaim that the National flag shall be flown at half-staff. The flag shall be flown at half-staff 30 days from the death of the President or a former President; 10 days from the day of death of the Vice President, the Chief Justice or a retired Chief Justice of the United States, or the Speaker of the House of Representatives; from the day of death until interment of an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court, a Secretary of an executive or military department, a former Vice President, or the Governor of a State, territory, or possession; and on the day of death and the following day for a Member of Congress. The flag shall be flown at half-staff on Peace Officers Memorial Day, unless that day is also Armed Forces Day. As used in this subsection —
the term "half-staff" means the position of the flag when it is one-half the distance between the top and bottom of the staff;
the term "executive or military department" means any agency listed under sections 101 and 102 of title 5, United States Code; and
the term "Member of Congress" means a Senator, a Representative, a Delegate, or the Resident Commissioner from Puerto Rico

Resolution for Sept 11th ordering flags at half-staff on this day each year:
http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2003/09/20030904-7.html
(I Just reread this--Patriot day is every year..but this proclamation dated 2003 is the last one I found and it is dated just for Sept 11th, 2003. I do not know if it is still in effect).

By a joint resolution approved December 18, 2001 (Public Law 107-89), the Congress has designated September 11 of each year as "Patriot Day."

NOW, THEREFORE, I, GEORGE W. BUSH, President of the United States of America, do hereby proclaim September 11, 2003, as Patriot Day. I call upon the people of the United States to observe this day with appropriate ceremonies and activities, including remembrance services and candlelight vigils. I also call upon the Governors of the United States and the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, as well as appropriate officials of all units of government, to direct that the flag be flown at half-staff on Patriot Day. In addition, I call upon all Americans to display the flag at half-staff from their homes on that day and to observe a moment of silence beginning at 8:46 a.m. eastern daylight time to honor the innocent victims who lost their lives as a result of the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001.

Hope this clears things up.

Thanks for that!

I didn't know about the 9/11 date. That is great information.

I went to Sesame Place on Saturday. They are and AB themepark . They had a flag ceremony with local soldiers. It was very moving but I couldnt watch it all because my kids were making a rukus.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter