Memories expo

chessie

DIS Veteran
Just returned from my trip to the memories expo in Orlando. Wow! is all I can say. I learned so much in such a short time.

I was disappointed in my classes. I had one fairly good class. One friend said all her classes were fabulous another friend said she had one really great class and the rest were so so. Even though my classes weren't that great I will still be able to adapt some fresh ideas from what I learned.

The trade show portion was fabulous. I learned so much just going to the booths and talking to the vendors and their demos. I also bought a lot of things

Becky Higgens personally autographed copies of her "My Creative Companion".I got one for my daughter in law and one for my dear friend. That's another story but she is just as charming and graceful in person. She also signed my own copy that I brought from home.

This expo was a wonderful learning experience. We also know more of how to prepare for the next. I loved having the Disney experience along with the expo.

If you have a chance to attend an expo, take it. You won't be sorry.

Chessie

Tell us more!

I've been to the Memories Expo in NJ twice. From what I understand, the one in Orlando is the biggest of all their shows, so sometimes things are offered there that are offered at other shows. Nevertheless, please share which classes were disappointing and which were OK.

TIA!

This was my 4th Orlando Memories Expo. Overall I was very dissappointed in the classes. I found myself constantly comparing them to those from a couple of years ago. I agree that the sales-floor is the best part of the expo. I found some great deals and enjoyed finding out about new products. I enjoyed the Saturday night cropping party much more than the Friday night one because we got much nicer freebies, the crop hosts didn't talk the entire time, and I shared a table with really nice people. The only thing I missed were the vendors. I remember going to the cropping party in prior years and spending the entire night shopping. While there were a few vendors set up Friday night, there was only one, the Kodak picture maker from Target, at Saturday night's crop. (Oh well, more money for me!)

Here are the classes I attended this year & my thought about them.

First I'll mention the best and the worst. I really enjoyed About.com's Rebecca Luden's paper piecing class. She was informative and organized. I went to the expo thinking it would be the weakest one, but it ended up being one of the 2 best. If she's there next year, I will definately take her classes. My other favorite was done by the owner of Tie Me to The Moon stickers. I actually did not register for this class. Someone gave me 2 tickets because they decided to leave the expo early. I'm so happy I went. Again, the class was well organized and the instructor was prepared. We did a scrapbooking page and a greeting card using stickers. I took a sticker class from Mrs. Grossman 2 years ago, and this one was very similiar and just as good. I also got tons (30 packs!!) of free stickers from Tie Me to the Moon. I think I have every sticker they sell. I go to the classes for instuction, but it's wonderful to get freebies too.

The worst class I took was Polka Dots, Polka Dots done by an employee of Me and My Big Ideas. The class was rated as intermediate level, but upon arrival the instructor said there was an error and it was a beginner class, which I was OK with. She started the class 5 minutes late and then gave out door prizes while discussing distance traveled, number of children, etc for at least an additonal 5 minutes. We were given their dot stickers and an idea sheet (straight from one of their idea books) and then given time to create the examples. They were very elementary like 2 yellow dots make a chick and 3 black dots make a mickey Mouse head. I was expecting much more when class suddenly ended. One lady in the class said, "I thought this class lasted an hour and a half." To which the instructor replied, "Time flies!" I looked at my watch to see that the class was ending after only 30 minutes of "instruction." What a rip off!! I did email MAMBI when I returned home about my negative experience, but they have not responded. I guess they really don't need my business, which is too bad because I really like their stickers.

Two other classes were big disappointments. I signed up for Provo Craft's Desiree Tanner's Latest and Greatest because I took a class from her once before that was really good. Although she was listed as teaching, she chose to stay home with her family instead. The class was very weak, but I did get 2 samples of a new product they are selling, which was nice. I was disappointed since there was no instruction. Just a review of their products and some time to use the free samples.

A similiar disappointment was a die-cut class from Cut-it-Up. There again, I took a class 2 years ago from them and it was wonderful. This year, I expected the same, but the owners stayed at their booth on the sales floor and sent someone else to do the class. It was very unorganized. Instruction was poor (ie- glue together in this way, then said oops, that's not right!) Once again about 45 minutes after class started it was over when we each completed a page. The rest of the class was devoted to the instructor passing around her albums so we could see examples of her work. I figure I could buy an idea book and have the ideas with me all the time, rather than pay for that class.

Finally, I signed up for Jeannie Reed's Latest and Greatest lunch. It cost $35 for members and $50 non-members. I always try to get into her classes because she gives out tons of samples (though it's been getting increasingly smaller each year.) I thought that by paying $35 would ensure lots of stuff. Saddly I was mistaken. We were given a box lunch with a sandwich, apple, and cookie. Then she handed out some "packets" as our freebies. I didn't look at mine during the lunch, but instead watched the "commercial" slideshow of available products. When I finally did look at my goodie bag, I was sad to see lots of advertisements and catalogs rather than free paper, etc. I did get 3 small cardboard photo storage boxes worth $4 each, so I don't feel quite so violated. However I'll never take one of her classes or attend her special luncheons again.

It's been interesting to see the progression of the expo over the past few years. Until this year my classes have always been done by company owners who try to do a good job so you'll be more inclined to purchase their products. As the industry has grown, it's obvious that fewer are interested in doing this type of small group instuction. I really miss seeing people who are excited about their products and who are anxious to share them with potential customers. I miss instructors who actually teach new skills or techniques. I especially miss instructors who show up prepared for the classes and workshops. I miss meeting and sharing ideas with the industry greats like Dee Gruenig with her rubber stamp art, Puzzle Mates Alison Berquist, Provo Craft's Desiree Tanner, Paper Adventures, co-owner David, not to mention the Cut-It-Up girls. As their businesses have grown they are losing touch with the people who have made them what they are today. I just think it's very sad.

I do plan to return next year, but I won't take as many classes. The classes I do take will be from smaller, little-known companies who still value interaction with consumers, or from people like Rebecca Luden who don't have a vested interest in any particular company, but who really want to teach scrapbooking skills.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter