Men’s Wardrobe for First WDW Summer trip

cdispoto

Earning My Ears
I’ve been to Disney more than a dozen times but I’m going in the summer for the first time in August.

I feel like I need clothing for the heat and humidity I’m going to face. Any guidance on particular brands or materials for shirts and shorts I should look at?

I suggest anything that is light and mositure wicking especially your boxer briefs. I would say that is the most important article of clothing. You can find it in most athletic and fishing wear. My husband and I live in Texas which the heat is comparable to Florida. We have visited Houston, Texas and Charleston, South Carolina where it is crazy humid where mositure wicking clothes is essential.

I love fishing shirts (I wear a lot of Columbia shirts, but any similar brands will work) for Disney summers...they're very light, vented, and dry extremely quickly both for sweat and getting caught in summer rainshowers. For shoes I prefer being able to go sockless - I can't do Crocs style shoes in the summer without socks because they become way too slippery when my feet sweat or get wet, so I prefer 'mule' style Skechers or Merrill shoes - they slip on easily, have a small heel ridge to keep them from easily falling off, and are cloth or material lined with gel inserts so they can be worn sockless...I find walking the many miles around parks and resorts to be much more comfortable and less wearing on my feet in these compared to sneakers, and again, they're relatively rainproof - they can get wet without damaging the shoe and dry fairly quickly. Shorts are whatever works for you - as long as they're reasonably lightweight.

If you plan on going on all the water rides (Especially since it's August!) try to wear Teva sandals or something similar so you're not dealing with soggy feet. We bought LL Bean "Vacation shoes" but they've been discontinued. An alternative would be a mesh hiking shoe from Merrell or the (slightly expensive) Columbia PFG Boatdrainer shoes.

Bombas or Smartwool socks. The wool is so much better than cotton! Dr Scholl's moleskin for blisters.

DH swears by Olukai Moloā slip ons. I have been able to get two pair at $100 each on sale. Worth every penny. He can walk all day without complaint and he's a "senior" with back issues.

Good luck shopping!

I am a big dude, so I am limited on where I can get clothes, but generally speaking I lean toward items that are moisture wicking for the summer heat. Two different pairs of sneakers and alternate them, seems to help with blisters and such. I also like to wear a hat, I prefer a straw fedora to look a little more stylish, but whatever you prefer.

I’ve been to Disney more than a dozen times but I’m going in the summer for the first tbime in August.

I feel like I need clothing for the heat and humidity I’m going to face. Any guidance on particular brands or materials for shirts and shorts I should look at?
refreshing this thread for similar reasons, any success stories for shirts specifically? I have shoes/pants/underthings covered from hiking pretty well.

I’ve been to Disney more than a dozen times but I’m going in the summer for the first time in August.

It's less about clothes & certainly not brands -- you probably already know what to do (cotton, tight weaves, avoid jeans, etc.) -- but I recommend bringing powder or corn starch, moleskin, extra socks so you can put on a dry pair, a mister, chill packs you can put in the hotel freezer, etc. I lived in central FL for 3 1/2 of the longest years of my life & I think there's not much you can in regards to clothes. It's about preventing blisters & alleviating overheating. I hope you have a blast!

I always order an extra cup of ice at Epcot Connections to keep my favorite refreshing drink cold while walking around.
Iced Peach Green Tea lemonade unsweetened because it is already sweet.

I went last year when it was mid 80's and super high humidity the whole week. One thing I found that helped was a cooling hat. Not only did it protect me from the sun but you run it under cold water, ring it out, and it keeps you cool as you wear it. https://www.mission.com/collections...Ryfz7787eFzQTd6lgbe0_M5VXmF9r-bwaAvYUEALw_wcB

I had the booney hat. I also brought a wash cloth in my bag to wipe my face ever 2 minutes from sweat lol.

Those are the shirts that I mentioned in my post - the Columbia fishing shirts. Love them for Disney - very light, dry in minutes if they get wet, vented in back...I use these shirts a lot - not just at Disney but I do a lot of wildlife and birding photography on weekends and walking around wetlands and swamps in the Florida summer with temps pushing 100 and humidity at 85-90% carrying 10lbs of camera and lens. Throw in the possibility of a random rainstorm, and they are the only type of shirt I've used for hot outdoor activity for the past 10 years.

Those are the shirts that I mentioned in my post - the Columbia fishing shirts. Love them for Disney - very light, dry in minutes if they get wet, vented in back...I use these shirts a lot - not just at Disney but I do a lot of wildlife and birding photography on weekends and walking around wetlands and swamps in the Florida summer with temps pushing 100 and humidity at 85-90% carrying 10lbs of camera and lens. Throw in the possibility of a random rainstorm, and they are the only type of shirt I've used for hot outdoor activity for the past 10 years.
ok, I bought two and will use for hiking and Disneyworld. I have a bunch of "dry-fit" hiking shirts that just seem like they'll cling to me in Florida, so I'm glad I caught this.

One thing I found that helped was a cooling hat. Not only did it protect me from the sun but you run it under cold water, ring it out, and it keeps you cool as you wear it.
I saw a guy take a regular ball cap and run it under the water in the men's room. I haven't tried it, but at the time I didn't think it was the worst idea.

Obviously wear lightweight comfortable clothing but I deal with heat mostly by limiting my exposure to direct sunlight, keeping a relaxed pace, drinking lots of water, taking frequent breaks etc.

Obviously wear lightweight comfortable clothing but I deal with heat mostly by limiting my exposure to direct sunlight, keeping a relaxed pace, drinking lots of water, taking frequent breaks etc.
my wife affectionately refers to our approach to DL as the "Disneyland Death March" I've noted to the family that we will have to veer from our past approach at lunch most days to find cooler, more sedate things to do. We will see who hits the wall first.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter